Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Create a weapon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zapato Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 09:02:07
The 'double weapon' topic made me wonder: What else can adventurers wield with the exception of the standard DnD weapons? So:

Have you ever wielded anything out of the ordinary? Did it work? If you could use a weapon not in de DnD books or make one up of your own what would it be and how would it work?

Personnaly I still want to use a scythe during a campaign and see how it well it goes...But if a DM ever allows it I'm gonna see if I can use one of those giant round logs you sometimes see in wushu / kung-fu movies :P
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Jan 2009 : 23:55:45
I recall a rules argument from one of our games, regarding whether the magma golem would have successfully struck one of our party members in combat, owing to the fact that it had plucked up our half-orc barbarian and was using him as a club.

The player claimed that the golem did not have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Half-orc, and so would suffer a non-proficiency penalty, which would have made the difference between a hit and a miss.

The DM got him back on the next round when he tried to dimension door the half-orc from the golem's reach, claiming that he needed to make a touch attack roll to touch the half-orc, who was waving around in the air, grasped by the golem.

Quoth the player: "He's the size of a refrigerator!"

Quoth the DM: "You'll get bonuses."

Cheers
Brynweir Posted - 11 Jan 2009 : 23:31:25
I obviously didn't create this one, but I think it would be interesting to use. The Valdris as shown on Kit Rae Swords.
Brynweir Posted - 04 Jan 2009 : 02:03:19
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Just seeing that little suntetsu, I automatically picture it with spring loaded blades that pop out each end .

My GOSH that is so gauche, Bryn.... I'm all about multi-use simplicity and durability, especially with precision Maybe a step above a rock, though...

Yeah, well, you know me....
And nobody said you HAD to use the blades .
dwarvenranger Posted - 04 Jan 2009 : 02:01:12
One of the players in my game is using a ramhammer. I told him a goliath greathammer is better, but he likes the reach.
Laerrigan Posted - 04 Jan 2009 : 01:23:01
quote:

Just seeing that little suntetsu, I automatically picture it with spring loaded blades that pop out each end .

My GOSH that is so gauche, Bryn.... I'm all about multi-use simplicity and durability, especially with precision Maybe a step above a rock, though...
dwarvenranger Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 16:29:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zapato

A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

I'd imagine if it were done correctly, and depending on the shape and size of the shield of course, you could probably have a sharp edge on them, something to use for slashing. I was thinking something similar to the Uruk hai swordsman's shield, but with a single sharp blade-like end instead of the two gouging spikes.

Anyone ever seen a "lantern shield?" I was reading the description and it sounded kind of cool - not sure how useful - but this is the image I get http://www.thousandeggs.com/216.jpg and the word cool somehow fails to describe it -lol

The dwarven buckler axe would work well in this scenario.
Brynweir Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 15:04:38
Laerrigan Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 05:13:00
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

One of the more fun examples one of my players (who sometimes DM's himself) and I came up with involves the idea of a wizarding college that's (in)famous for their mages' tendencies to resort to improvised weapons. Hence, "weaponized" everyday items* are the sign of a wizard from said school, as well as the sign of a warped mind.

Anyway, example: Warbook. Wielded by a horribly effeminate half-elf eldritch theurge scholar. In essence, his spellbook, an enormous grimoire, with a steel-reinforced cover and spine. The book was alchemically hardened, resistant to energy, and had a long strap to allow for more leverage on swings.

That is great!

Personally, I've long wanted to see a suntetsu in D&D, but haven't thus far. Easily concealable, difficult for anyone not familiar with it to even recognize it as a weapon if they find it (and what the link I gave doesn't show is how it can be turned 360 degrees in the palm by the fingers of the wielding hand, to be use cross-wise). My idea for it involved something along the lines of not a lot of HP damage, but maybe a wide crit range and some special effects on a crit instead of extra HP damage, and no (or lessened) penalty for called shots. Hit a nerve center and disable or penalize a limb. Give the target penalties to Dex, Str, movement speed, number of actions per round. Possibly daze/stun the target, or even knock him out. That sort of thing. And, of course, a suntetsu could grant a shield bonus. Just seemed to have a lot of potential, to me.
fw190a8 Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 02:21:49
Not that I used this one personally, but the dwarven Gutbusters from Salvatore's novels don't use weapons beyond their spike-covered armour. They'd just charge headlong into the enemy.
Artemel Posted - 03 Jan 2009 : 01:47:11
Okay, sort of evil... and eberrony... but still, here goes:

Warforged juggernaut with a warforged scout (small living construct). The were chained together and the juggernaut used the scout as a combination short ranged thrown weapon (the 20 feet the chain let him fly), or would shorten his grip on the chain and use him like a chain whip.

I hated that character pair. Really.
Zapato Posted - 29 Dec 2008 : 12:19:00
True, but I'm interrested in the small percentage of weapons players invented that are realy effective / cool. And not just your ordinary candlestick / chair / halfling etc you can grab when the moment calls for it .
Aureus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 23:01:51
this prooves that absolutly everything can be a weapon in the right hands
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 21:06:11
-I've performed the "Flour Trick" myself, though not with flour. Water. Thus, our invisible assailant was dripping and leaving footprints, making it much easier to locate him. Well, it, actually.
ErskineF Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 20:29:41
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Applauding their ingenuity, I allowed 1d6 flame damage from the maneuver. There was some conversation about "baker-mage" or "battle-chef" prestige classes afterward. A good time was had by all.

My ranger elf once split open a bag of flour and chucked it all about the room in a desperate attempt to locate an invisible ogre mage. I wish I had known then about the inflammable property of flour. I would have traded some hit points to locate that b*.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 19:05:04
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I wasn't talking about tossing halflings, I'm talking grab one by the ankles and swing!

I recall something similar to that being mentioned in a long ago issue of Dragon, but I don't recall the specifics, so I can't find the reference. As I recall, it was a barbarian and a gnome or dwarf dropped into a dungeon unarmed, and the barbarian used his shorter companion as a weapon.
Gray Richardson Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 18:02:12
One of my players once hurled a bag of flour at a goblin and as I described the resultant cloud of white powder that erupted in the goblin's square, the next player lit his torch to the flour cloud and took a five-foot step back to see if D&D flour was as combustible as a cloud of flour in the real world.

Applauding their ingenuity, I allowed 1d6 flame damage from the maneuver. There was some conversation about "baker-mage" or "battle-chef" prestige classes afterward. A good time was had by all.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 17:21:03
-Interesting. You know, I've never thought to go through historical books like that, to find any interesting D&D weapons to pepper in every now and then.
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 17:20:05
I wasn't talking about tossing halflings, I'm talking grab one by the ankles and swing!
Markustay Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 17:19:08
This One.

My cover is slightly different (the word 'Weaponry' is at the top), but thats it. And the best part was that I got it for $7.99 about a year ago, off one of those close-out tables in the front of Borders.

I highly recommend it - besides being an excellent text of the history of weaponary, it is chock-full of drool-worthy pics.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 17:11:17
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have a whole book of weapons, and some of them are pretty weird. One of my faovorites is the gun-shield, which would be an interesting item to give to a Gondsman.

-What book is this? Sounds interesting.
Markustay Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 16:23:33
I've heard of tossing dwarves... but HALFLINGS?!

Thats so inhumane.

I want a an epic-level break-dancing shield!

When it did 'floor-spins', it could take-out all the enemies feet!

Of course, then I'd want a moon-walking sword.

I have a whole book of weapons, and some of them are pretty weird. One of my faovorites is the gun-shield, which would be an interesting item to give to a Gondsman.
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 15:57:21
Okay, what about using a halfling as a weapon? What would you consider that, some sort of improvised club?
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 07:35:12
-What's that? Dancing, but better? Epicly better.
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 07:21:41
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Get one enchanted with the 'Dancing' property, and you can have three!

Or the everdancing property from the epic level handbook!
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 07:03:16
-Get one enchanted with the 'Dancing' property, and you can have three!
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 04:26:14
quote:

quote:

A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

I'd imagine if it were done correctly, and depending on the shape and size of the shield of course, you could probably have a sharp edge on them, something to use for slashing. I was thinking something similar to the Uruk hai swordsman's shield, but with a single sharp blade-like end instead of the two gouging spikes.

I have the Ultimate Equipment Guide by Mongoose Publishing and there is a weapon in there that is a shield with a sharpened point at the bottom. It was called a tiger steel shield and the book noted that they are often used in pairs.
Brynweir Posted - 25 Dec 2008 : 14:05:53
quote:

Anyone ever seen a "lantern shield?" I was reading the description and it sounded kind of cool - not sure how useful - but this is the image I get http://www.thousandeggs.com/216.jpg and the word cool somehow fails to describe it -lol
Zapato Posted - 25 Dec 2008 : 10:09:57
Zapato Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 12:28:18
quote:

I may not have been clear, but I was actually acking about Zapato's intent with the question. Was it meant to include anything we'd used or something unusual that was carried as a regular weapon? It doesn't really matter. I was curious.

What I ment was that I both wanted to know if people ever used any strange weapons or if they could think of any now.
And mostly focused on regular weapons and not just a chair or candlestick players grabbed in the heat of the moment, though it is fun to read ;)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 06:37:14
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Isn't there an 'Improvised Weapon' Feat somewhere that offsets the penalty? Maybe its a class-ability of some PrC (like Drunken Master)... I forget...

The MWP 3.5 Dragonlance books have a couple of feats that limit the penalties for improvised weapons, but I don't know if there were other ones in any core books.

And of course Pathfinder has the infamous Razor Sharp Chair Leg . . .

One of my players ran a goliath rogue/barbarian that never carried a weapon, and used:

1. A large table to kill an Extaminaar wizard.

2. Dual wielded chairs to help kill a corpse creature unholy warrior.

3. A greataxe ripped out of a trap that went off and nearly killed a party member.

4. A large stone flower planter to kill an assassin.

5. A wooden log.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000