Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Create a weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  04:26:14  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

quote:
Originally posted by Zapato

A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

I'd imagine if it were done correctly, and depending on the shape and size of the shield of course, you could probably have a sharp edge on them, something to use for slashing. I was thinking something similar to the Uruk hai swordsman's shield, but with a single sharp blade-like end instead of the two gouging spikes.

I have the Ultimate Equipment Guide by Mongoose Publishing and there is a weapon in there that is a shield with a sharpened point at the bottom. It was called a tiger steel shield and the book noted that they are often used in pairs.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  07:03:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Get one enchanted with the 'Dancing' property, and you can have three!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  07:21:41  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Get one enchanted with the 'Dancing' property, and you can have three!

Or the everdancing property from the epic level handbook!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  07:35:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-What's that? Dancing, but better? Epicly better.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  15:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, what about using a halfling as a weapon? What would you consider that, some sort of improvised club?

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  16:23:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard of tossing dwarves... but HALFLINGS?!

Thats so inhumane.

I want a an epic-level break-dancing shield!

When it did 'floor-spins', it could take-out all the enemies feet!

Of course, then I'd want a moon-walking sword.

I have a whole book of weapons, and some of them are pretty weird. One of my faovorites is the gun-shield, which would be an interesting item to give to a Gondsman.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:11:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have a whole book of weapons, and some of them are pretty weird. One of my faovorites is the gun-shield, which would be an interesting item to give to a Gondsman.

-What book is this? Sounds interesting.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:19:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This One.

My cover is slightly different (the word 'Weaponry' is at the top), but thats it. And the best part was that I got it for $7.99 about a year ago, off one of those close-out tables in the front of Borders.

I highly recommend it - besides being an excellent text of the history of weaponary, it is chock-full of drool-worthy pics.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't talking about tossing halflings, I'm talking grab one by the ankles and swing!

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:21:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Interesting. You know, I've never thought to go through historical books like that, to find any interesting D&D weapons to pepper in every now and then.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  18:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players once hurled a bag of flour at a goblin and as I described the resultant cloud of white powder that erupted in the goblin's square, the next player lit his torch to the flour cloud and took a five-foot step back to see if D&D flour was as combustible as a cloud of flour in the real world.

Applauding their ingenuity, I allowed 1d6 flame damage from the maneuver. There was some conversation about "baker-mage" or "battle-chef" prestige classes afterward. A good time was had by all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  19:05:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I wasn't talking about tossing halflings, I'm talking grab one by the ankles and swing!

I recall something similar to that being mentioned in a long ago issue of Dragon, but I don't recall the specifics, so I can't find the reference. As I recall, it was a barbarian and a gnome or dwarf dropped into a dungeon unarmed, and the barbarian used his shorter companion as a weapon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  20:29:41  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Applauding their ingenuity, I allowed 1d6 flame damage from the maneuver. There was some conversation about "baker-mage" or "battle-chef" prestige classes afterward. A good time was had by all.

My ranger elf once split open a bag of flour and chucked it all about the room in a desperate attempt to locate an invisible ogre mage. I wish I had known then about the inflammable property of flour. I would have traded some hit points to locate that b*.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  21:06:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I've performed the "Flour Trick" myself, though not with flour. Water. Thus, our invisible assailant was dripping and leaving footprints, making it much easier to locate him. Well, it, actually.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  23:01:51  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this prooves that absolutly everything can be a weapon in the right hands

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Zapato
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  12:19:00  Show Profile Send Zapato a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but I'm interrested in the small percentage of weapons players invented that are realy effective / cool. And not just your ordinary candlestick / chair / halfling etc you can grab when the moment calls for it .

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."
-Conan the barbarian on what is best in life
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  01:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, sort of evil... and eberrony... but still, here goes:

Warforged juggernaut with a warforged scout (small living construct). The were chained together and the juggernaut used the scout as a combination short ranged thrown weapon (the 20 feet the chain let him fly), or would shorten his grip on the chain and use him like a chain whip.

I hated that character pair. Really.
Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  02:21:49  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I used this one personally, but the dwarven Gutbusters from Salvatore's novels don't use weapons beyond their spike-covered armour. They'd just charge headlong into the enemy.

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  05:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

One of the more fun examples one of my players (who sometimes DM's himself) and I came up with involves the idea of a wizarding college that's (in)famous for their mages' tendencies to resort to improvised weapons. Hence, "weaponized" everyday items* are the sign of a wizard from said school, as well as the sign of a warped mind.

Anyway, example: Warbook. Wielded by a horribly effeminate half-elf eldritch theurge scholar. In essence, his spellbook, an enormous grimoire, with a steel-reinforced cover and spine. The book was alchemically hardened, resistant to energy, and had a long strap to allow for more leverage on swings.

That is great!

Personally, I've long wanted to see a suntetsu in D&D, but haven't thus far. Easily concealable, difficult for anyone not familiar with it to even recognize it as a weapon if they find it (and what the link I gave doesn't show is how it can be turned 360 degrees in the palm by the fingers of the wielding hand, to be use cross-wise). My idea for it involved something along the lines of not a lot of HP damage, but maybe a wide crit range and some special effects on a crit instead of extra HP damage, and no (or lessened) penalty for called shots. Hit a nerve center and disable or penalize a limb. Give the target penalties to Dex, Str, movement speed, number of actions per round. Possibly daze/stun the target, or even knock him out. That sort of thing. And, of course, a suntetsu could grant a shield bonus. Just seemed to have a lot of potential, to me.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 03 Jan 2009 05:19:13
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  15:04:38  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just seeing that little suntetsu, I automatically picture it with spring loaded blades that pop out each end .
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  16:29:33  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zapato

A friend of mine had a crazy idea for a new weapon yesterday: TWO shields..one in each hand and both equipt with spikes etc so they also could be used for offensive moves.

I'd imagine if it were done correctly, and depending on the shape and size of the shield of course, you could probably have a sharp edge on them, something to use for slashing. I was thinking something similar to the Uruk hai swordsman's shield, but with a single sharp blade-like end instead of the two gouging spikes.

Anyone ever seen a "lantern shield?" I was reading the description and it sounded kind of cool - not sure how useful - but this is the image I get http://www.thousandeggs.com/216.jpg and the word cool somehow fails to describe it -lol

The dwarven buckler axe would work well in this scenario.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  01:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just seeing that little suntetsu, I automatically picture it with spring loaded blades that pop out each end .

My GOSH that is so gauche, Bryn.... I'm all about multi-use simplicity and durability, especially with precision Maybe a step above a rock, though...

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  02:01:12  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the players in my game is using a ramhammer. I told him a goliath greathammer is better, but he likes the reach.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  02:03:19  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

quote:

My GOSH that is so gauche, Bryn.... I'm all about multi-use simplicity and durability, especially with precision Maybe a step above a rock, though...

Yeah, well, you know me....
And nobody said you HAD to use the blades .
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  23:31:25  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I obviously didn't create this one, but I think it would be interesting to use. The Valdris as shown on Kit Rae Swords.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  23:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall a rules argument from one of our games, regarding whether the magma golem would have successfully struck one of our party members in combat, owing to the fact that it had plucked up our half-orc barbarian and was using him as a club.

The player claimed that the golem did not have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Half-orc, and so would suffer a non-proficiency penalty, which would have made the difference between a hit and a miss.

The DM got him back on the next round when he tried to dimension door the half-orc from the golem's reach, claiming that he needed to make a touch attack roll to touch the half-orc, who was waving around in the air, grasped by the golem.

Quoth the player: "He's the size of a refrigerator!"

Quoth the DM: "You'll get bonuses."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000