Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with a Follower of Haela Brightaxe
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  16:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So one of my players is a dwarven fighter 5 / barbarian 1. He is a follower of Haela Brightaxe. Mithril Fullplate, Dwarven Waraxe, and Power Attack.

A jovial kind of fighter who loves action. He took the barbarian level just for RP reason and does not plan to follow that route any further.

He has expressed to me that he wants to be more like Gimli was depicted in the Lord of the Rings movies. Sort of a jumping around tumbling around fighter. And for the life of me I don't really know a good way to help him build that kind of fighter. I guess at this point I should mention we run 3.5 D&D.

I thought about Spring Attack and Leaping Attack but neither seem to complement what Fighters do which is at high levels make lots of attacks. He'd especially like to use the tumble skill.

I don't mind making up my own feats but I prefer to exhaust all existing possibilities first. So has anyone had a player with such a character or have any suggestions on how he could build such a character?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  16:39:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Malhavoc Press' Book of Iron Might and their use of the 'stunt' system. Blends together the acrobatic skills (jump, tumble, etc.) with attacks.

Edit: And I just noticed that the PDF version of the book is on sale for $7 at DriveThruRPG.com.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 15 Dec 2008 16:42:19
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  18:00:01  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a dwarven barbarian1/fighter4/battlerager3 (Angorn the black) before. He was a lot of fun. The Battlerager PrC out of Races of Faerun is a nice little PrC to take. As for feats, several out of the PHB II including the Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz feats are useful for that type of character.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  14:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I am going to pickup a hardcopy of Iron Might the stunt system sounds cool, sounds like the Skill Tricks they introduced in Complete Scoundrel. I looked at Battlerager as well and it does not seem this guys bag. The Chr -4 is a bit brutal I should have stated that the character is a gold dwarf so he likes the fact that he gets Chr bonuses on some rolls.

One of my friends who I mentioned this to suggested Whirlwind attack. So the idea would be he roll in gets his attack and then next turn does Whirlwind.

And I've been thinking to make a feat called like Tumbling Step. Which is basically instead of a 5' step you could make a 10' tumble. Would require Spring Attack prerequisite and I might make a follow up feat that is Tumbling Attacks which would allow a 5' tumble between each attack. This is just brain storming haven't fully thought them through for things like balancing.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  14:57:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Book of Iron Might:

quote:
Tumble: Tumbling Strike
You somersault and twist to avoid your opponent’s attacks and make a single, critical strike. Your maneuver catches your foe off guard, allowing you to strike her from an unexpected direction. Mechanics: As a full-round action, you may make a Tumble check with a Difficulty Class equal to your opponent’s base attack bonus +5. If your check succeeds, you may make a single attack at your best base attack bonus. Your opponent loses her Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against this attack. If your check fails, you provoke an attack of opportunity from your opponent.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  19:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And don't forget, a lot of a fighter's 'style' is only cinematic. However the PCs choose to intrepret the feats as far as what they look like (numbers aside) is really up to them...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000