Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with a Follower of Haela Brightaxe

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gelcur Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 16:32:48
So one of my players is a dwarven fighter 5 / barbarian 1. He is a follower of Haela Brightaxe. Mithril Fullplate, Dwarven Waraxe, and Power Attack.

A jovial kind of fighter who loves action. He took the barbarian level just for RP reason and does not plan to follow that route any further.

He has expressed to me that he wants to be more like Gimli was depicted in the Lord of the Rings movies. Sort of a jumping around tumbling around fighter. And for the life of me I don't really know a good way to help him build that kind of fighter. I guess at this point I should mention we run 3.5 D&D.

I thought about Spring Attack and Leaping Attack but neither seem to complement what Fighters do which is at high levels make lots of attacks. He'd especially like to use the tumble skill.

I don't mind making up my own feats but I prefer to exhaust all existing possibilities first. So has anyone had a player with such a character or have any suggestions on how he could build such a character?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arion Elenim Posted - 17 Dec 2008 : 19:27:40
And don't forget, a lot of a fighter's 'style' is only cinematic. However the PCs choose to intrepret the feats as far as what they look like (numbers aside) is really up to them...
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 17 Dec 2008 : 14:57:51
From Book of Iron Might:

quote:
Tumble: Tumbling Strike
You somersault and twist to avoid your opponent’s attacks and make a single, critical strike. Your maneuver catches your foe off guard, allowing you to strike her from an unexpected direction. Mechanics: As a full-round action, you may make a Tumble check with a Difficulty Class equal to your opponent’s base attack bonus +5. If your check succeeds, you may make a single attack at your best base attack bonus. Your opponent loses her Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against this attack. If your check fails, you provoke an attack of opportunity from your opponent.
Gelcur Posted - 17 Dec 2008 : 14:41:46
Thanks guys. I am going to pickup a hardcopy of Iron Might the stunt system sounds cool, sounds like the Skill Tricks they introduced in Complete Scoundrel. I looked at Battlerager as well and it does not seem this guys bag. The Chr -4 is a bit brutal I should have stated that the character is a gold dwarf so he likes the fact that he gets Chr bonuses on some rolls.

One of my friends who I mentioned this to suggested Whirlwind attack. So the idea would be he roll in gets his attack and then next turn does Whirlwind.

And I've been thinking to make a feat called like Tumbling Step. Which is basically instead of a 5' step you could make a 10' tumble. Would require Spring Attack prerequisite and I might make a follow up feat that is Tumbling Attacks which would allow a 5' tumble between each attack. This is just brain storming haven't fully thought them through for things like balancing.
dwarvenranger Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 18:00:01
I had a dwarven barbarian1/fighter4/battlerager3 (Angorn the black) before. He was a lot of fun. The Battlerager PrC out of Races of Faerun is a nice little PrC to take. As for feats, several out of the PHB II including the Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz feats are useful for that type of character.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 16:39:22
Check out Malhavoc Press' Book of Iron Might and their use of the 'stunt' system. Blends together the acrobatic skills (jump, tumble, etc.) with attacks.

Edit: And I just noticed that the PDF version of the book is on sale for $7 at DriveThruRPG.com.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000