Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Better Name Than "Twinkle"?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  18:56:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been joked about often that the name of Drizzt's blue-glowing blade "Twinkle" could be butcher, and I tend to agree.

I was thinking that maybe it sounds better in the original Elven/Elvish/Espruar/whatever. Supposedly it was forged by surface elves and bears an intricate script (most likely Elven). Anybody know a source for D&D/FR Elven vocab? (Didn't find anything relevant in the 'Keep's <"Elven Dictionary">.)

As I understand it, the Tolkien Quenya Elvish equivalent would be <tintila>, for "twinkle".

One FR dictionary suggests that the Faerūnian Elven would be <tinta>, for "sparkle".

But those don't really help much in a quest for...butchness.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

One FR dictionary suggests that the Faerūnian Elven would be <tinta>, for "sparkle".

Which FR dictionary do you write about Beast ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:48:53  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would rename the scimitar, Steve, myself

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:53:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

Which FR dictionary do you write about Beast ?

In that particular instance, I was referring to <"An Elven Translating Dictionary">, from Dean Anderson's site <"Dungeons & Dragons: World of Selais">.

FantasyRole.org has a <"Language Translator"> that seems to be closely related to that dictionary. It also cites tinta.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Ah, yeah.

And which dialect of Elven would that be? Got a source for that?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  19:57:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

-Go figure. So would I.

-Concerning renaming his blade, I would venture that Drizzt would bestow upon it a Drow name (Thus, opening up the Drow Dictionary), or a term in Common. Being that he is fairly "estranged" from his race, I would say the latter.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  21:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  22:02:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That would be a great name for an intelligent item that was created to benefit a specific church, but doesn't like them, so aids others, just to spite the church it doesn't like. I like it...I might use something like that in one of my games...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  03:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my mistake. I meant that it is blasphemy to even think about a different name for Twinkle

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  04:19:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Regardless, the seed has already been planted...Now, if only there was a Cleric in the group...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  00:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd call it "The Murder Stick"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  11:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firingdeath?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poodle the beating stick? :P
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  21:58:58  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"abyss" I hope I spelled that right.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  22:14:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

"abyss" I hope I spelled that right.

-Yes, yes you did. Though, if you want to be technical, the 'A' should be capitalized, but there's no reason to be technical.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 29 Nov 2008 22:14:48
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  17:45:43  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slicy McJabbalot.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  18:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Slicy McJabbalot.

Kay, that's just genius. Ten points, Therise.

I love the name Twinkle. I think it's a ridiculous, terrible name for a terribly powerful weapon. Not every weapon has to be called "Cyricpuncher" or "Elfwhacker".

But failing that, I defer to Therise. "Slicy McJabbalot" it is.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  15:44:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would call it Mournful Introspect and Icingdeath wouldst then be known as Journalmaker.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 01 Dec 2008 15:44:38
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Elven dictionary you got linked there. I'd be curious to know where/how that was built. Is it based on Tolkien's elven, or does it draw on D&D sources like Races of the Wild (which has some excellent samples of elven)?

I would also venture that the Realms version of Elven is indeed a different dialect, though how much overlap is, of course, up to you.

(I'm in that frame of mind because I did a post recently in my Sages thread about Elven swordfighting, which threw out a lot of elven words.)

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel), I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

"Twinkle" is sort of like an amusing petname, or a bastardization like "Khelben" is a corruption of the original Elvish, a phrase I forgot off the top of my head which means "He Whom Duty/Honor Defines."

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"? (Elvish isn't terribly good at language butch-ery. Coolness, sure.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 01 Dec 2008 16:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the mess that attested Realms elven language is in, we really don't want it mixed up still further with Quenya (which tinta is) or the Races of the Wild version.

Edited by - Faraer on 01 Dec 2008 16:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:50:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Interesting Elven dictionary you got linked there. I'd be curious to know where/how that was built. Is it based on Tolkien's elven, or does it draw on D&D sources like Races of the Wild (which has some excellent samples of elven)?

I would also venture that the Realms version of Elven is indeed a different dialect, though how much overlap is, of course, up to you.

(I'm in that frame of mind because I did a post recently in my Sages thread about Elven swordfighting, which threw out a lot of elven words.)

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel), I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

"Twinkle" is sort of like an amusing petname, or a bastardization like "Khelben" is a corruption of the original Elvish, a phrase I forgot off the top of my head which means "He Whom Duty/Honor Defines."

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"? (Elvish isn't terribly good at language butch-ery. Coolness, sure.)

Cheers

-It's based only on Forgotten Realms Elven words, be them included in novels/sourcebooks, mentioned by authors/designers, or extrapolated upon using noticeable patterns in the words we already have.

-As I said to MT the other day, I have a lot that needs to be added, and I probably should forward Alaundo a new copy, including the new words and such...

-And Khelben is Akhelbhen.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 01 Dec 2008 16:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Slicy McJabbalot.

Well, this gets my vote!

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  17:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Akhelben" sounds like something you'd say to be snarky...

"So, I don't want to mention any names, but SOMEBODY was drilling holes into the ladies' washrooms all over Waterdeep...*ack-Khelben!*...ahem, excuse me."

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  17:39:36  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Ivaekiir sounds cool and elvish. Twinkle sounds like a My Little Pony.

Go to Top of Page

Jon Grey
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  18:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Jon Grey's Homepage Send Jon Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Twinkle was made for that scimitar. It's like calling that 7 foot tall, 400 pound ogre Tiny. Comical, until it smashes you in the face.

Of all the people that have lied to me/
Bards tend to do it most beautifully. -Rehthan Cotheras, Harper
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  18:51:27  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's been joked about often that the name of Drizzt's blue-glowing blade "Twinkle" could be butcher, and I tend to agree.

But those don't really help much in a quest for...butchness.

Ye have ta be kiddin , he's an elf which is hard enough to equate with butch, weilding scimitars which is not exactly helping that cause.
Now if he was an explosive moringstar wielding dwarf then, well we wouldn't even need ta be havin this discussion

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  22:58:06  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shineing abyss,or the Northern light, North star/Norhtern star.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  23:10:48  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." And Twinkle by any other name would deal death just as quickly.

I think Jon Grey has the right of it and Twinkle's perfect for that sword. Just think of how all those who fell to that blade feel.

"So, tell me again how you died... Twinkle? WTH's a Twinkle?"

Slicy McJabbalot gets my vote for alternate. As for "Elfwhacker" NTT

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-It's based only on Forgotten Realms Elven words, be them included in novels/sourcebooks, mentioned by authors/designers, or extrapolated upon using noticeable patterns in the words we already have.

-As I said to MT the other day, I have a lot that needs to be added, and I probably should forward Alaundo a new copy, including the new words and such...

You mean that dictionary is yours?

Like I said--pretty snazzy.

Ask Steve about sending you over his notes on the Elven language of the Realms, or if he agrees, I can probably send you the file too.

quote:
-And Khelben is Akhelbhen.

Quite right! That's the one I was looking for.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  02:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: Also, an alternate meaning of kiir is "star," if that, y'know, matters.

ivaekiir: "shining star."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  08:32:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel),

No such luck. Hence my request for more info, here.

And to be clear, I was only intending to ask for a better translation of the Common word "Twinkle", rather than a completely new name altogether. "Slicy McJabbalot" notwithstanding...

quote:
I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

[...]

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"?

Aye. Doesn't take much to sound butcher than "Twinkle"...

"Icingdeath" and "Ivaekiir".

What's the source on that, BTW? Was it Races of the Wild as you mentioned, or this computer file which you said that Steven Schend wrote?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000