Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Better Name Than "Twinkle"?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BEAST Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 18:56:49
It's been joked about often that the name of Drizzt's blue-glowing blade "Twinkle" could be butcher, and I tend to agree.

I was thinking that maybe it sounds better in the original Elven/Elvish/Espruar/whatever. Supposedly it was forged by surface elves and bears an intricate script (most likely Elven). Anybody know a source for D&D/FR Elven vocab? (Didn't find anything relevant in the 'Keep's <"Elven Dictionary">.)

As I understand it, the Tolkien Quenya Elvish equivalent would be <tintila>, for "twinkle".

One FR dictionary suggests that the Faerūnian Elven would be <tinta>, for "sparkle".

But those don't really help much in a quest for...butchness.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pandora Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 15:20:45
Wild names from an old campaign ... when I was a lot younger (none of those were my idea):
- two half-elves had acquired Hippogriffs to ride ... one of them was called HARLEY and guess what the others name was ... DAVIDSON
- one of these half-elves had "Tenthe Irty" as a name because in german "half-elf" sounds pretty much like "halb elf", which is 10:30 ...
- obviously stolen from Monty Python two others were called "Fanfan / Pompom, Chevalier du Noix de Coco"

As it is with childrens names funny names work for some time, but if you have to live with them for the rest of your life it can become a great pain. Twinkle isnt really a bad name for a sword, except it doesnt really sound "powerful". In fact Twinkle is a great name, because it is simple and short. The best solution I would see is adding a "real name" and keep Twinkle as the nickname which is used all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
*I almost said "Ed" in Myth Drannor.

Whats wrong with Ed in Myth Drannor? I bet he was the first there!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 15:07:59
The latter. I go with Steve's research over Races of the Wild anyday--partly because RoW is *core*, whereas Steve's notes are Realms-specific . . . and because Steve's just cool.

kiir comes from the same word from which we build the term thaelkiira, which are powerful elven lorestones (see Elminster* in Myth Drannor, et al). "Thael," in this case, means "ward" or "warding" and can also mean "mantle" as in spellmantle.

And for the record, I don't find Twinkle an objectionable name for the sword. It operates on a bemusing level, but it's also (IMO) just a name. No worse than naming a sword "Cutter."

Cheers

*I almost said "Ed" in Myth Drannor.
BEAST Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 08:32:33
quote:

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel),

No such luck. Hence my request for more info, here.

And to be clear, I was only intending to ask for a better translation of the Common word "Twinkle", rather than a completely new name altogether. "Slicy McJabbalot" notwithstanding...

quote:
I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

[...]

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"?

Aye. Doesn't take much to sound butcher than "Twinkle"...

"Icingdeath" and "Ivaekiir".

What's the source on that, BTW? Was it Races of the Wild as you mentioned, or this computer file which you said that Steven Schend wrote?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 02:42:02
Note: Also, an alternate meaning of kiir is "star," if that, y'know, matters.

ivaekiir: "shining star."

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 00:09:43
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-It's based only on Forgotten Realms Elven words, be them included in novels/sourcebooks, mentioned by authors/designers, or extrapolated upon using noticeable patterns in the words we already have.

-As I said to MT the other day, I have a lot that needs to be added, and I probably should forward Alaundo a new copy, including the new words and such...

You mean that dictionary is yours?

Like I said--pretty snazzy.

Ask Steve about sending you over his notes on the Elven language of the Realms, or if he agrees, I can probably send you the file too.

quote:
-And Khelben is Akhelbhen.

Quite right! That's the one I was looking for.

Cheers
Brynweir Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 23:10:48
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." And Twinkle by any other name would deal death just as quickly.

I think Jon Grey has the right of it and Twinkle's perfect for that sword. Just think of how all those who fell to that blade feel.

"So, tell me again how you died... Twinkle? WTH's a Twinkle?"

Slicy McJabbalot gets my vote for alternate. As for "Elfwhacker" NTT
riot the outsider Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 22:58:06
Shineing abyss,or the Northern light, North star/Norhtern star.
dwarvenranger Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 18:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

It's been joked about often that the name of Drizzt's blue-glowing blade "Twinkle" could be butcher, and I tend to agree.

But those don't really help much in a quest for...butchness.

Ye have ta be kiddin , he's an elf which is hard enough to equate with butch, weilding scimitars which is not exactly helping that cause.
Now if he was an explosive moringstar wielding dwarf then, well we wouldn't even need ta be havin this discussion
Jon Grey Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 18:23:23
I think Twinkle was made for that scimitar. It's like calling that 7 foot tall, 400 pound ogre Tiny. Comical, until it smashes you in the face.
Tasker Daze Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 17:39:36
quote:

Interesting Elven dictionary you got linked there. I'd be curious to know where/how that was built. Is it based on Tolkien's elven, or does it draw on D&D sources like Races of the Wild (which has some excellent samples of elven)?

I would also venture that the Realms version of Elven is indeed a different dialect, though how much overlap is, of course, up to you.

(I'm in that frame of mind because I did a post recently in my Sages thread about Elven swordfighting, which threw out a lot of elven words.)

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel), I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

"Twinkle" is sort of like an amusing petname, or a bastardization like "Khelben" is a corruption of the original Elvish, a phrase I forgot off the top of my head which means "He Whom Duty/Honor Defines."

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"? (Elvish isn't terribly good at language butch-ery. Coolness, sure.)

Cheers

Ivaekiir sounds cool and elvish. Twinkle sounds like a My Little Pony.
Arion Elenim Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 17:09:47
"Akhelben" sounds like something you'd say to be snarky...

"So, I don't want to mention any names, but SOMEBODY was drilling holes into the ladies' washrooms all over Waterdeep...*ack-Khelben!*...ahem, excuse me."
Steven Schend Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 16:54:00
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Slicy McJabbalot.

Well, this gets my vote!

Steven
Lord Karsus Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 16:50:47
quote:

Interesting Elven dictionary you got linked there. I'd be curious to know where/how that was built. Is it based on Tolkien's elven, or does it draw on D&D sources like Races of the Wild (which has some excellent samples of elven)?

I would also venture that the Realms version of Elven is indeed a different dialect, though how much overlap is, of course, up to you.

(I'm in that frame of mind because I did a post recently in my Sages thread about Elven swordfighting, which threw out a lot of elven words.)

As for the OP, unless it's otherwise named when Drizzt first obtains the sword (and I don't remember from the novel), I would venture that Twinkle's name translated into Elvish might be something like Ivaekiir, which roughly means "shining gem."

"Twinkle" is sort of like an amusing petname, or a bastardization like "Khelben" is a corruption of the original Elvish, a phrase I forgot off the top of my head which means "He Whom Duty/Honor Defines."

Is something like Ivaekiir suitably "butch" or at least "cool"? (Elvish isn't terribly good at language butch-ery. Coolness, sure.)

Cheers

-It's based only on Forgotten Realms Elven words, be them included in novels/sourcebooks, mentioned by authors/designers, or extrapolated upon using noticeable patterns in the words we already have.

-As I said to MT the other day, I have a lot that needs to be added, and I probably should forward Alaundo a new copy, including the new words and such...

-And Khelben is Akhelbhen.
Faraer Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 16:31:55
Given the mess that attested Realms elven language is in, we really don't want it mixed up still further with Quenya (which tinta is) or the Races of the Wild version.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 16:01:47

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 15:44:20
I would call it Mournful Introspect and Icingdeath wouldst then be known as Journalmaker.
Arion Elenim Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 18:36:15
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Slicy McJabbalot.

Kay, that's just genius. Ten points, Therise.

I love the name Twinkle. I think it's a ridiculous, terrible name for a terribly powerful weapon. Not every weapon has to be called "Cyricpuncher" or "Elfwhacker".

But failing that, I defer to Therise. "Slicy McJabbalot" it is.
Therise Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 17:45:43
Slicy McJabbalot.
Lord Karsus Posted - 29 Nov 2008 : 22:14:13
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

"abyss" I hope I spelled that right.

-Yes, yes you did. Though, if you want to be technical, the 'A' should be capitalized, but there's no reason to be technical.
riot the outsider Posted - 29 Nov 2008 : 21:58:58
"abyss" I hope I spelled that right.
Lady Fellshot Posted - 28 Nov 2008 : 17:36:49
Poodle the beating stick? :P
Alisttair Posted - 28 Nov 2008 : 11:41:49
Firingdeath?
Genis Posted - 28 Nov 2008 : 00:59:43
I'd call it "The Murder Stick"
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Nov 2008 : 04:19:51
-Regardless, the seed has already been planted...Now, if only there was a Cleric in the group...
Alisttair Posted - 27 Nov 2008 : 03:22:36
Oh my mistake. I meant that it is blasphemy to even think about a different name for Twinkle
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 22:02:42
-That would be a great name for an intelligent item that was created to benefit a specific church, but doesn't like them, so aids others, just to spite the church it doesn't like. I like it...I might use something like that in one of my games...
Alisttair Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 21:37:20
BLASPHEMY!!!!
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 19:57:55
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I would rename the scimitar, Steve, myself

-Go figure. So would I.

-Concerning renaming his blade, I would venture that Drizzt would bestow upon it a Drow name (Thus, opening up the Drow Dictionary), or a term in Common. Being that he is fairly "estranged" from his race, I would say the latter.
BEAST Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 19:57:28
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I would rename the scimitar, Steve, myself

Ah, yeah.

And which dialect of Elven would that be? Got a source for that?
BEAST Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 19:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

One FR dictionary suggests that the Faerūnian Elven would be <tinta>, for "sparkle".

Which FR dictionary do you write about Beast ?

In that particular instance, I was referring to <"An Elven Translating Dictionary">, from Dean Anderson's site <"Dungeons & Dragons: World of Selais">.

FantasyRole.org has a <"Language Translator"> that seems to be closely related to that dictionary. It also cites tinta.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000