Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Avatar Serie - Book VI
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Waiting for the official explanation about the most debated Spellplague, I devised my own version of it. My current campaign (started 2 years ago, with characters now around 15th lv, DR 1382) REALLY needs an explanation for this realm shaking events.

I would like to point out that this post is NOT intended as A RANT. I just need to share my plot with fellow scribes to devise a “correct” version of it, according to the actual FR Lore.

When I say “my version”, I don’t want to take any extra credit for it, because I devised it thanks to the ideas from different posts here on Candlekeep. I simply put everything together adding something to better fit my personal (campaign) needs.

*** Other scrolls on the same topic *** EDITED

Toril's Divided Future (3.5 Campaign Outline)
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9917

Monday Musing 10/27: Gods of Magic
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11791

What Really Happened During the Spellplague
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11713

Debate: New Mystra at some point in the future?
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11661

Could-have would-have idea
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11745

So has Asmodeus absorbed Azuth's portfolio?
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11710

Any help would be appreciated!
(Sorry for my English: it is not, as you can guess, my mother tongue. Hope you can catch the idea behind the poor word choosing)

Edited by - Arioch on 27 Oct 2008 23:09:36

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An important faithful of Mask, a thief, dies searching to infiltrate the magical defenses of Candleekep. Just before dying he founds, by chance, the Cyrinishad.

• By Kelemvor, the soul of this thief is assigned to his god.

• The thief, in exchange for some sort of eternal favor, sells the information about the Cyrinishad to Mask.

• Mask dispatches an avatar and recovers the book. [I suppose that as it is, the book is pretty useless for him if not dangerously harmful]

2.[Assumpion 1]
The Cyrinishad is the greatest manifestation of the dweomer here called for simplicity sake “Leira’s anti-metatext”.

• Having Cyric subsumed the power of Leira and the portfolio of illusion, this can be plausible. [I yet have to answer the question if he consciously or not used the power of the dweomer to devise the Cyrinishad]

In searching for a new source of magical power to be free of Myshra “control”, Cyric studied, more than he ever did, the power of illusion.

• Studying that part of his own portfolio he inherited from Leira, he discovered more about the anti-metatext, and new interesting uses of it

• A pity that for these new uses he need the object containing the majority of the dweomer’s power: the Cyrinishad. But he doesn’t have the book nor he can search for it. [From the Crucible]

Edited by - Arioch on 22 Oct 2008 16:59:23
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4. [Assumpion 2]
The real meaning behind the Black Chronology ending is that from year 1385 the Shadow Weave is going to be no more.

This can be the Shar’s weakness so long foretell.

Savras, god of divination [Of prophecy, not of exact statements about future] starts receiving visions about the coming of “the black star falling”, and the destruction for Faerun following it. [His vision could have been clouded by images of his own death, of which he doesn’t spoke to anyone]. He understand the real meaning of the Black Chronology.

He tells of his vision to Azuth and Mystra.

Mystra, wanting to assume control over the ShadowWave “even if it means sacrificing her… inherent goodness” [F&P p.50], doubles her efforts in this direction:

• After the events of the 3 adventures, Cormy-Shadowdale-Anauroch she sees the dangers coming from Shar and doesn’t want to give her a second chance to strike.

• After hearing the prophecies of Savras, to save the Realms, she starts devising a ritual of her own to strip Faerun of the Shadow magic, before the end of the shadow weave. The ritual iss stongly opposed by Azuth, who seems to know better than Mystra the danger of using the primeval forces needed by the ritual

• [It could be nice to somehow relate the ritual to TIME, given the importance of chronology in my version. If I recall correctly, Mystra is the guardian of Chronomancy]

• Her Choosen are involved in her ritual efforts or busy against attacks from Shar, should the goddess learn about the ritual.

Edited by - Arioch on 22 Oct 2008 18:40:55
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask wants to claim back part of his portfolio from Shar exploiting her coming weakness. Maybe he is still trying to be the intrigue lord, so why not to involve also Cyric in the plot.

Having the Cyrinishad, Mask decide to trade it with Cyric for something VERY important for him, worth the risk of giving that damned book. [Insert your *something* here… maybe something that can justify Mask absence 100 years later?]

Cyric now have the Cyrinishad. The power of lies and magic combined in one artifact. With the knowledge acquired thanks to his recent research he knows how to make lies prevail over magic.

• Inserting the true name of the mortal woman once Mystra was into the woven strain of the book's lies, the Harlot could be stripped from the truth of reality. [After all, if reading a simple page of the True Metatext made Deneir a god… reading the pages of the False Metatext could “undo” a god…]

• To accomplish this plan Cyric, ironically, needs a source of magic… a source not in control of Mystra, otherwise the goddess could stop [or simply become aware of] his doing.

Cyric asks Shar for help, he knows of her past failed plan to thwart the wave and offer his help to strike back. Shar, under attack from Mystra since her last attempt to take control of the Weave and pressed by the closing of the Shadow Weave end, gladly accept.

• Cyric completed his new book of lies, transforming it in a powerful weapon against Mystra, using the shadow weave. The book must be used in Dweomerheart: to obtain the full effect Mystra must listen to it.

• Shar, not believing completely in Cyric and fearing that he will not stick to his part of the plan, keep silent about possible unforeseen consequences in Cyric’s plot.

Edited by - Arioch on 24 Oct 2008 10:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, alone, infiltrate unnoticed in Dweomerheart. Mystra and [all] her avatars are busy with the ritual to control the Shadow Weave. The ritual is about to end, successfully.

• The forces of Shar attacks Dweomerheart, to give Cyric a diversion. The attack was obviously expected and well countered.

• A cloud of darkness, effect of the evil inside the shadow weave, began to spread in the realm of magic as the Shadow weave is siphoned by Mystra. Cyric start reading aloud his book in the darkness and seems nowhere to be found.

• The ritual of Mystra is almost completed, the goddess of magic had the majority of the shadow weave in her. She must hurry before Cyric ends:
    -with the complete control of the Shadow Weave she can stop the effects of Cyric’s book.
    -She can free her avatars from the ritual and battle with Cyric.

• But Cyric ends first… and Mystra dies.

Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric tries to assume the power and portfolio of the goddess he just killed. The book, as the killing weapon, becomes the conduit by which the raw magic begin to flow in Cyric. [I like this idea… it reminds me of Birthright’s bloodtheft]

--- EDITED: I forget: obviously, Cyric never tought to share his newly acquired power ---

• Shar knows that this was going to happen, but keep silent with her ally.

• Using the last share of control on the quickly dissolving shadow weave, the dark goddess tried to reclaim what was hers.

• Cyric was engulfed with too much power, more than he could never handle. Moreover, the power of Cyrinishad, a sort of filter for the power flowing in the darksun, was corrupting not also the power of magic but also the god himself. Cyric, in a moment of clarity, before being overwhelmed and destroyed, unleashed all he gained from Mystra’s dead, casting it as far as possible from himself, destroying the Cyrinishad in the way.

• Inside Mystra, because of the almost finished ritual, there was a great portion of shadow weave: not enough to control it but enough to draw Shar with the rest of her power after Cyric casts everything away.

• Not wanting to take any more harm, Shar throws away the remnant of her power over shadow weave.

• Raw magics (all possible “magic”, past present and future was involved in Mystra’s ritual) shadow magic, the power of lies, the power unleashed by the death of a god coalesced to create the Blue Fire…

Edited by - Arioch on 23 Oct 2008 17:26:31
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of holes in the plot needs to be filled… To make things more complex, I was also trying to connect the events above with those of the Tyr/Helm/Tymora affaire.

A way for considering the affaire is:

• Helm is keeping something VERY important for Cyric, who cannot even hope to stole it from him.[Something given to Helm by Mystra? Maybe the key to keep Dweomerheart closed during the ritual? Really don’t know…]

• As the affaire starts, Cyric, impersonating Tymora, tries to get this something from him.

• When Cyric understands that with this plan he is going nowhere, he completely changes strategy giving to Helm something to protect (a love token, maybe, after all he is impersonating Tymora), knowing that Tyr may want the token for himself… If a fight starts between the two gods, maybe he can stole the thing he needs. This time the plot works above expectation.

But for this part, if I can’t get on something interesting, I can simply choose to ignore it…

That's all!
If you read all posts you have my gratitude!

Edited by - Arioch on 22 Oct 2008 16:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:34:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, if the 4E design team had given us HALF of what you have come up with, the Spellplague might be more popular around these parts.

I like how you have everything tying together, here's a suggestion of my own:

Mask trades the Cyranishad to Cyric for the illusion portfolio. He needs the illusion portfolio to try and steal the Dark and Secrets portfolios from Shar. That would also explain why he's not talked about in the 100-year jump. He's the Hidden God.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  18:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I think I'm gonna "steal" some of your ideas. Oh, did I say steal? I meant borrow
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  11:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both for your reply... Tyrantraxus, you are welcome to take what you want

About your suggestion Ashe, maybe an entire portfolio could be too much, but something in your direction (I mean: an help of some sort for Mask against Shar) could work fine.

I'm also considering the idea that, during "Chapter" 11, Cyric tries to get rid of the book and its maddening power but ... cannot because of Shar. The dark goddess knowing of possible betrayal, secretly maintained a sort of a link with an artifact modified using her shadow power.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  12:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Cyrinishad... It's been awhile since I read Crusable, but what happened with the Cyrinishad and the True Life of Cyric? I can't remember...

And maybe Cyric's Seraphim of Lies (I forgot his name) could somehow be involved in this.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  13:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

About the Cyrinishad... It's been awhile since I read Crusable, but what happened with the Cyrinishad and the True Life of Cyric? I can't remember...

It seems that the Cyrinishad was lost near Candlekeep, while True Life of Cyric remains in Cyric's possession ... There are some posts about this around here on Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  14:43:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since Shar's already got these portfolios, I figured she could stand to lose the two:

Caverns
Dark
Dungeons
Forgetfulness
Loss
Night
Secrets
The Underdark

While Mask only has these:

Shadows
Thievery
Thieves

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  15:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well, since Shar's already got these portfolios, I figured she could stand to lose the two:

Caverns
Dark
Dungeons
Forgetfulness
Loss
Night
Secrets
The Underdark

While Mask only has these:

Shadows
Thievery
Thieves

Of course she can, I agree with you! I mean that maybe Cyric is not willing to share an entire portfolio for the Cyrinishad but instead some other form of help vs Shar ...

Edited by - Arioch on 23 Oct 2008 15:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  15:23:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh... I see what you're saying.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  10:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went again through my posts, and given the few (but good) replies, I suppose that maybe it is not clear what I'm kindly asking to fellow scribes:

I have a group of players very demanding about the lore consistency in the campaing... so I had to invent a plausible way to explain tnem the SpellPlague.
"My" version is still in need of being revised... could you please help me to find "holes" / inconsistency in it?

Again... any help will be very appreciated

P.s.: I understand that this may be a very common topic of lately... Links to other topics I could have missed will be also appreciated!

Edited by - Arioch on 27 Oct 2008 10:57:35
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  12:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you haven't done so I recommend you let the WotC design team know what you'd like to see in future products. http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11666

Maybe they could shed some light on your question

Anyway keep up the good work, I really like it. When I have some ideas I'll let ya know.

Edited by - Tyranthraxus on 27 Oct 2008 12:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  13:37:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a big part of the problem is that a good portion of the scribes here have cut off the Spellplague and associated changes from their campaigns. So many have not put any thought into it.

I'd like to see a lot of my fellow scribes give their two cents on this one as well. If Wasbro can't give us lore, then we should at least create some lore that answers the questions.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000