Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Realms design team is seeking your feedback
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  22:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We got great results on the WotC message boards, but now it's time to find out what the diehard Realms fans at Candlekeep.com think

The Forgotten Realms design team is seeking your feedback. We are currently evaluating which topics to cover in future Realmslore articles on D&D Insider, and would like to determine what longstanding fans of the Realms view as the 15 or 20 most pressing subjects to cover. In particular we are looking to fill any gaps in lore which were not covered adequately in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

For example:
  • The fate of specific gods (or primordials) (e.g. Deneir, Eldath, Ubtao, Shaundakul)

• The existence of realms not mentioned in the FRCG (e.g. Hartsvale, Semphar, Icewind Dale, Border Kingdoms)

• Continents beyond Faerûn (e.g. Anchorome, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Katashaka, Osse)

• Mechanical elements that folks want to see addressed (e.g. bladesingers, runecasters, firearms, spellfire, missing regional feats from the FRPG)

• Races missing from the FRPG (e.g. Avariel, Wild Dwarves, Fey, ‘Redeemed’ Dark Elves)

• The fate of major NPCs (e.g. The Chosen of Mystra, Alusair Nacacia, Piergon Paladinson, Gareth Dragonsbane, Liriel Baenre, Artus Cimber)

• Important events in the “missing century” (e.g. The 2nd Era of Skyfire, Grand History updates, What did the Chosen do to fight the Spellplague?)

• Organizations to explore in more detail (e.g. The Church of Selûne, The Knights of Myth Drannor, The Dwarves of Iltkazar)

• Other story elements that don’t seem plausible or haven’t been adequately explained

• Article format: Would you prefer to see more features like Backdrop Cormyr, Ecology of series, Planar articles, or something else entirely.

• What ratio of lore vs. mechanics do you prefer?

This thread should remain specific and constructive; its purpose to help us prioritize future Realmslore articles. This is not the proper place tell us the things you hate most about the 4E Realms. Of course, some solutions/revelations are already in the works. The fate of Mask, for instance, will be revealed in an upcoming Paul Kemp novel series.

So what say you? What mysteries would you like to see addressed?

[UPDATED 10-20-2008]
Thank you very much for all the great feedback. This thread will remain to collect general feedback forthe Realms team, but I would now like to draw your attention to a new post narrower in focus. I am now soliciting feedback for the top three regions you would like to see covered in a Dragon Backdrop article, much like the Backdrop: Cormyr article released previously.

Despite my unabashed love for Candlekeep, I'm going to ask you to please navigate over to the WotC boards http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1103516 to read more and cast your vote.

[UPDATED 10-31-2008]
Alright folks. The "pick your top 3 regions to see in Dragon" poll conducted on the WotC boards is officially concluded. Thank you to all who participated!

Even if you're favorite choice didn't make the top of list, don't loose heart. I have a soft spot for remote and unpopular regions of the Realms and there will be plenty of opportunities to expand their lore in the coming months and years.

But for now it looks like I may be starting a Rashemen or Sembia article soon. Unlike previous assignments, however, I hope to involve the Realms community in the design process from the very beginning. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, please continue to offer up your general suggestions in this thread.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 01 Nov 2008 04:44:52

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  23:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That list is all good, but being the history buff that I am I'd like to find out what became of the various NPCs I liked.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  23:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3rd Edition Cormyr Supplement. The 3rd Edition Faiths of Faerún. Both would be good.

Last thing I'd want to see is the fates of those NPC's, given WoTC's record in giving many NPC's stupid ends.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:20:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now the Design team wants to know?

Bring back Eilistraee or at least *shudder* find another deity that makes sense for the Redeemed Drark Eves and good Drow.

A deiety of Magic might be a good touch as well.

The transistion does not make sense to me, perhaps design team can come up why AO allowed wholesale murder of deities and deities walking eyes open to their deaths.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

That list is all good, but being the history buff that I am I'd like to find out what became of the various NPCs I liked.
You're going to have to be specific. Which NPCs would you like see.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

The 3rd Edition Cormyr Supplement. The 3rd Edition Faiths of Faerún. Both would be good.
At the current time, Wizards of the Coast is not interested in articles set in the past. What I'm soliciting here are suggestions for D&D Insider articles set in the current 4th-Edition time period. Cormyr has already been covered in Dragon 365, but a series of articles on the gods and their churches seems very likely.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

...but a series of articles on the gods and their churches seems very likely.

That's great to hear!

How about some background articles at the level of the Cormyr piece on the various realms in Returned Abeir?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:02:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only going to take one of these, for a lot of reasons I'm not going into here.

quote:

• I want no mechanics at all. Since that is not possible, I want as little as is possible. Anything more than 25% of the given space is too much -- and I'd prefer much less, like 10%.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Oct 2008 01:02:41
    Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
    Great Reader

USA
    7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I already gave my answer on the WotC boards.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
    --Richard Greene (letter to Time)
    Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:14:36  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    * Would somebody please explain how Angharradh still exists with her triune godesses all being absorbed by the human deities that apparently spawned them.
    * How did Amaunator come back? Was it through the efforts of the Risen Sun Heresy?
    * I know Gruumsh was supposed to replace Talos, but what actually happened to the Stormlord?
    * Mulhorand: Where did it go and how did it get there?
    * Tiamat still has her dragonspawn. What about the original dragonborn of Bahamut? Did something happen to them when Damara was taken over by the evil Yarin Frostmantle? Were they absorbed into the Abeiran population of dragonborn? Also, I assume the tree-gem is no more or at least inert. Am I right?
    * Now that the Blood War is over, how has Toril *not* been conquered by devils? How do demons propogate now that the Abyss is trapped beneath the elemental chaos?
    * What about this demonic horde that attacked the 'upper realms' and managed to kill Tyr?
    * What is Telos?
    * How is the retconning of Loudwater explained?
    * Details on how Luskan and Neverwinter became such crudholes (for Luskan, how did Deudermont take on the Hosttower and survive?).
    * Was Icewind Dale affected by the Spellplague at all?
    * While I share Uzzy's apprehension, I am just too tempted by curiosity. What happened to Mystra's chosen? Did they lose their status when Mystra died like Shuruppak did and die of old age? We've been told that he just potters around Storm's farm. Are any of the others still around (I know the FRCG says that there are no chosen anymore who aren't exarchs)? What about the other high-level characters? The only popular ones we still know are around are Drizzt, Jarlaxle, Szass Tam and Manshoon.
    * Are the Aboleth Sovereignty doing anything in particular or just raiding coastal regions. You'd think that such ancient creatures would have bigger plans than just 'send the Kuo-Toa to attack the coastal cities and the krakens to destroy shipping.'
    * Tell us about Kara-Tur! I miss it.
    * Was Nimbral flooded like Lantan or did something more colourful happen? What about Samarach?

* I would personally prefer a much greater amount of lore over mechanics.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. May edit this post if I think of more.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 03 Oct 2008 01:52:25
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:16:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

We got great results on the WotC message boards, but now it's time to find out what the diehard Realms fans at Candlekeep.com think
    Hmmm... So many potential opportunities here.
    quote:
    For example:
    • The fate of specific gods (or primordials) (e.g. Deneir, Eldath, Ubtao, Shaundakul)

I'd have to say Deneir.
    quote:
  • The existence of realms not mentioned in the FRCG (e.g. Hartsvale, Semphar, Icewind Dale, Border Kingdoms)

• Heh. Easy one for me. Border Kingdoms.
    quote:
  • Continents beyond Faerûn (e.g. Anchorome, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Katashaka, Osse)

• Anchorome.
    quote:
  • Races missing from the FRPG (e.g. Avariel, Wild Dwarves, Fey, ‘Redeemed’ Dark Elves)

• I wouldn't mind seeing some attention for wild dwarves.
    quote:
  • The fate of major NPCs (e.g. The Chosen of Mystra, Alusair Nacacia, Piergon Paladinson, Gareth Dragonsbane, Liriel Baenre, Artus Cimber)

• Too many to name here. I'll have to think about this one a little more.
    quote:
  • Important events in the “missing century” (e.g. The 2nd Era of Skyfire, Grand History updates, What did the Chosen do to fight the Spellplague?)

• 'Grand History updates' is certainly tempting.
    quote:
  • Organizations to explore in more detail (e.g. The Church of Selûne, The Knights of Myth Drannor, The Dwarves of Iltkazar)

• Can we offer organisations from previous lore that may not have had much mention in 4e lore as yet?
    quote:
  • Other story elements that don’t seem plausible or haven’t been adequately explained

• I'll have to think about this one a little more.
    quote:
  • Article format: Would you prefer to see more features like Backdrop Cormyr, Ecology of series, Planar articles, or something else entirely.

• I'll have to think about this one a little more. My initial thoughts suggest both 'Backdrop' and 'Planar' articles as possibilities.
    quote:

• Is 100% lore a possibility?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Oct 2008 01:19:18
    Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
    Senior Scribe

USA
    387 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Sorry to be negative --and with all due respect, but... there is absolutely nothing about the 4e Realms that I think has a pressing need to be detailed.

The most positive thing I can think to say is that it would have been nice if WotC/FR design team showed this kind of interest or enthusiasm for what the fans wanted to see given attention during 3e.

I mean, during the lifespan of the official 3e Realms, there were countless threads and even more countless replies asking for more information about all the stuff you listed in your post. And the reason why you get a response for something like a pre-spellplague Cormyr sourcebook is because it was a very largely used region of the realms (novels, realmslore, etc) but we got sourcebooks for Serpent Kingdoms and ancient Netheril, but so very little for Cormyr... until the Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave super module was released, and if I recall correctly, people wanted and asked for sourcebooks --not super modules.

...or a request for 3e religions because we got lots and lots of "crunch" when it came to Faiths & Pantheons. Very detailed statistics for several gods and their avatars when such wasted space could have been better dedicated to more for all the gods.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the "what do you want to see?" attitude has come way too late... because the top of my list would have been a complete and utter hold on advancing the timeline and making lots of what many Realms fans consider negative changes to a setting we've loved for so long. What do I want to see? I want to either see the Forgotten Realms setting restored in place of this pseudo-Realms you've got now, or a complete and utter end to the Realms all together. I may be alone on this last part, but I'd rather see the setting completely killed off than carried forward in its current form.

My apologies for any negativity you may have experienced while reading the above.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 03 Oct 2008 01:20:52
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:19:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brain R. James

This thread should remain specific and constructive; its purpose to help us prioritize future Realmslore articles. This is not the proper place tell us the things you hate most about the 4E Realms.
    I just want to re-inforce this point made by Brian earlier. I'd like all future contributing scribes to consider this specifically before replying. Thank you.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Oct 2008 01:20:10
    Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    879 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Hey, Hashimshadoo (which, by the way, is among the most sonorous of Candlekeep's nicknames--at first I was having trouble scanning it and then I caught the rhythm), a lot of your questions are actually in what's been published so far. Just to take a quick run through the easiest ones: Elminster is still around and his present status is discussed in the FRCG, as is Jarlaxle's, who I would certainly describe as a "popular" and "high-level" character. Kara Tur is reported to have suffered quite a bit from the Spellplague. How Luskan came to it's current state is described in the entry for that city. Aaand, just reading the entries for the Dragon Coast, the Sea of Fallen Stars, and Akanûl, I'd say the Abolethic Sovereignty has been doing a spot more than "just floating" anywhere. I imagine Bruce Cordell's book will tell us more about that come December.

quote:
    Originally posted by hashimashadoo

* Would somebody please explain...[a great many things?]

Go to Top of Page

Leon_Stryfe
    Acolyte

USA
    18 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Leon_Stryfe's Homepage Send Leon_Stryfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Personally, I would like to know the fate of the Realms that Abeir replaced, most notably Maztica.

You ask me what I crave above all things? Knowledge.
    Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
    Learned Scribe

Canada
    256 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:57:32  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'd like to see a world map. That is all that would interest me about FR 4E.

edit: Oh and if i ever come to terms with the changes... i'd love to see a recuring theme of articles in the style of Volo's guide....

Call it Vladimir's Journal to .... but bring back this style of coverage. That, i know will please the diehard fans that made the switch.

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
    My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 03 Oct 2008 02:01:15
    Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:58:13  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Hey, Hashimshadoo (which, by the way, is among the most sonorous of Candlekeep's nicknames--at first I was having trouble scanning it and then I caught the rhythm), a lot of your questions are actually in what's been published so far. Just to take a quick run through the easiest ones: Elminster is still around and his present status is discussed in the FRCG, as is Jarlaxle's, who I would certainly describe as a "popular" and "high-level" character. Kara Tur is reported to have suffered quite a bit from the Spellplague. How Luskan came to it's current state is described in the entry for that city. Aaand, just reading the entries for the Dragon Coast, the Sea of Fallen Stars, and Akanûl, I'd say the Abolethic Sovereignty has been doing a spot more than "just floating" anywhere. I imagine Bruce Cordell's book will tell us more about that come December.

quote:
    Originally posted by hashimashadoo

* Would somebody please explain...[a great many things?]

Aye, updated to reflect the tiny passages in the books I seem to have missed. Ta, I'm not usually so cursory in my reading but the FRCG is...difficult for me to read thoroughly without getting annoyed.

*ahem* While I'm typing

* How did the Spellplague affect the deities of the other continents?
    * How are the faerûnian colonies in Maztica doing? Did they survive in any form or are they all gone, replaced by Abeiran land?
    * If the greater deities were able to maintain their divine realms, then why did the gnomish pantheon move to Arvandor? Was it a direct result of Garl Glittergold's reduction in stature? If so, what caused said reduction?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 03 Oct 2008 02:03:50
    Go to Top of Page

Sutro
    Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  03:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Sutro's Homepage Send Sutro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I know it's not a huge thing, but I'd absolutely love to hear more about svirfneblin and their fate in the Underdark. Svirfneblin have always been my favorite race and they have a pretty compelling story in FR; I'd really like either a background or ecology on them.
    Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
    Forgotten Realms Author

USA
    879 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  03:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sutro

I know it's not a huge thing, but I'd absolutely love to hear more about svirfneblin and their fate in the Underdark. Svirfneblin have always been my favorite race and they have a pretty compelling story in FR; I'd really like either a background or ecology on them.

Hey! First post, welcome Sutro!

There's a tiny bit of stuff about the deep gnomes in the Underdark section of the FRCG, at least with regards to Blingdenstone in the Northdark.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
    Great Reader

Canada
    2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  04:49:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

The most positive thing I can think to say is that it would have been nice if WotC/FR design team showed this kind of interest or enthusiasm for what the fans wanted to see given attention during 3e.

I mean, during the lifespan of the official 3e Realms, there were countless threads and even more countless replies asking for more information about all the stuff you listed in your post. And the reason why you get a response for something like a pre-spellplague Cormyr sourcebook is because it was a very largely used region of the realms (novels, realmslore, etc) but we got sourcebooks for Serpent Kingdoms and ancient Netheril, but so very little for Cormyr... until the Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave super module was released, and if I recall correctly, people wanted and asked for sourcebooks --not super modules.

...or a request for 3e religions because we got lots and lots of "crunch" when it came to Faiths & Pantheons. Very detailed statistics for several gods and their avatars when such wasted space could have been better dedicated to more for all the gods.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the "what do you want to see?" attitude has come way too late... because the top of my list would have been a complete and utter hold on advancing the timeline and making lots of what many Realms fans consider negative changes to a setting we've loved for so long. What do I want to see? I want to either see the Forgotten Realms setting restored in place of this pseudo-Realms you've got now, or a complete and utter end to the Realms all together. I may be alone on this last part, but I'd rather see the setting completely killed off than carried forward in its current form.
    <edited somewhat for brevity>

What Nerfed2Hell said. I would have loved to see a Cormyr 3e sourcebook, a "Lands of Intrigue" 3e sourcebook, a "Cormanthyr, Sembia and the Dalelands" 3e sourcebook, and an "Impiltur and the Bloodstone Lands" 3e sourcebook... the last by Krashos and Salvatore, of course.

However, since Wizards has clearly moved on, I'm moving on too... and assembling/creating the Realms information I want for use with 3.5 and Pathfinder. I used to be on board with the "better dead than 4ed" fate for the Realms too, until recently reading some posts on this board from Ed Greenwood himself. I'm still not playing 4th edition, and I'm still sorry that I pre-ordered the core rulebooks, but I feel somewhat less enraged about what was done to the Realms.

Now, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, but I'm neither holding my breath nor subscribing to D&DI. The discontinuation of the printed Dragon and Dungeon magazines was the first nail in the coffin of my continued support of Wizards of the Coast; the 4e Realms at the moment is the final nail, unless something *big* happens to fill the gap. I've come to terms with the deaths of all the big NPCs; you had to cater to the potential customer, because I believe that studies have shown that it's a lot easier to get a new customer than to retrieve one you've lost. My question regarding this is, why? The statistics have been posted elsewhere on these boards; the existence of the Chosen and other high-level NPCs does not in any way diminish the role of the PCs in the Realms, unless the DM is treating said NPCs as DMPCs and using them in every session, belittling the PCs' accomplishments at every turn.

The time-jump is the biggest problem for me. The only reason for a time-jump like that in a world with such a detailed continuous history is the creation of an entire new world. That being said, why did you not just do that instead of chewing up and spitting out the greatest creation in role-playing history since the original D&D game? Given the development time for 4e, you easily had enough time to do that.

What you could do that would make me very happy is compile a collection in PDF format of all of the past Realmslore to appear on the Wizards website (separate files for each article would be great) on a CD or DVD available for purchase online. I would pay money for old Realmslore. I will not pay money for the new loreless Realms, nor will I pay money for D&D Insider when (a) I have no idea in advance what the specific content will be and (b) I'm not using the game system for which it's designed.

As Nerfed2Hell said, if you had done this poll 4-5 years ago, you might have been able to release some products of interest to me. I wasn't going to contribute to this scroll at all, bearing in mind what you said in your original post, but after reading Nerfed2Hell's post, I decided that Wizards should know what I'm thinking, now that you're finally asking.

Edit: Addendum:
    I suspect that what happened with 4e development is that the core rules team and the Eberron team got together and said, "Yeah! These changes will be great! Now... How do we shoehorn them into the Realms?" Yes, I'm probably being overly paranoid and bitter, but it just has that feel about it to me. Of course, the Realms team had every opportunity to put the dragonborn, tieflings, and genasi over in Anchorome and/or Katashaka, but they decided that it would be more fun to blow up Faerun instead. Not that I miss Maztica at all, you understand, but I miss everything that was about Faerun. I would have loved FR 4e if they had put these new races and cultures in "new" (previously undeveloped) geographical areas on Toril, but by blowing up the world the way they did, they basically eliminated all possible relevance the 4e Realms could have to my current campaign and to my group. We would have been interested in crossing the Trackless Sea to explore new lands and civilizations, and in fact we still will be, but it won't be with the aid of anything published by Wizards of the Coast.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Oct 2008 05:14:27
    Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
    Senior Scribe

USA
    387 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  05:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Old lore, zero crunchy bits... present it as history for the campaign that is. And, so as not to confuse your newer potential customers, call it something like Classic F.R. rather than Forgotten Realms.

I can't apologize enough for not supporting the new Realms... because I don't feel apologetic at all. But rather than completely alienate existing customers with hopes to attract new, why the heck not try to give both something? You can still focus on the new all you want, but give the real Realms fans something. And please don't tell us you are giving us something with the new setting... there is very clearly a strong following of anti-D&D4e and/or anti-FR4e, and pushing the setting at us with a take it or leave it attitude is very disappointing and encourages old school fans to push away from giving you money with more vehemence.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
    Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
    Senior Scribe

USA
    387 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  05:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

This is not the proper place tell us the things you hate most about the 4E Realms.

As a side note, where exactly is the proper place to tell you those things??
    And where ever it is, would you be willing to address those many concerns or just hope that if you don't acknowledge those concerns long enough, people will eventually see the light that the new Realms are somehow better than the old?

Just curious.

Edited by - Nerfed2Hell on 03 Oct 2008 05:19:17
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  06:14:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Okay, folks... It's a well-known fact that I hate almost every single aspect of what has been done to the setting. And I'm sure most people have seen some of my numerous complaints.

We've seen yours, too. We saw them in threads that were more appropriate for them.

My answer in this thread is very short and to the point, because that was the only thing I could say without dwelling on the things I dislike.

Brian has asked that this thread stay constructive. The Sage has echoed this. And yet, we are still seeing complaints.

Can we please restrict ourselves to saying what Realmslore we'd like to see? That's what this thread is about. A designer has specifically asked for this. Complaints should go into any of the myriad threads where complaints are more appropriate. I don't want to have to start pruning posts or outright deleting them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
    Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  06:31:09  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I would like to see more on Returned Abeir. Are there new faiths springing up? How are the gods of the Realms going about acquiring followers there?
    Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
    Great Reader

USA
    4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  07:04:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Things I would like to see:

What is going on with Semphar?

The "outcast" Red Wizards...are they more like Gypsie Wizards now...more on them please.

What is the military like within the Empire of Netheril now...it can't be composed of elite soldiers like the City of Shade had when it came back...

In general, what are the various militaries like of the various realms...especially within the Heartlands, the North, and Moonsea since there seems to be so much potential for war all around Netheril. (what I wouldn't like to see is what amounts to a Faerunian World War).

A new article on how trade works in the Realms now. The 3e Realms book had a nice bit on trade...I would like to see that revamped for the modern age.

What is going on in Mulmaster...obviously the most powerful Moonsea City now since Zhentil Keep is gone and Hillsfar is nothing like the past (and the northern coast Moonsea Cities obviously still have Thar weakening them). Why isn't Mulmaster the new headquarters of the Zhentarim...the Highblade had become tight with Fzoul.

Did the Knights of Myth Drannor really found a Knighthood based within Myth Drannor that is still fighting on?

What happened to the Barbarians of the Ride? I don't suppose they are more of a force to be reckoned with now that they don't have the Zhents to hold them back? I thought with the Zhents out of the way their path would be wide open to raiding the Dales and even beyond...

The Fey of the Border Forest...did the Eladrin and other Fey found anything to revive some sort of Kingdom/Holding within the Border Forest?

The Desertsmouth Mountains...now that the "Netherese" are back in force, what sort of civilization has been brought to this place? Do the Shades use the Humanoids here in their military, or do they eradicate them?

I haven't had the chance to read Rich Baker's new novel in the Moonsea area...so forgive me if I ask something mostly already known:

Could the Moonsea in general be outlined in more detail...it has always been my favorite place (former giant kingdoms, ogre kingdoms and orc kingdoms coupled with ancient dwarven halls and even ancient unknown kingdoms such as constructed the Citadel of the Raven make for lots of room for adventure).

More specifically, we know a Beast Cult was operating in the citadel near Mulmaster 100 years ago...what is going on there now? Especially the ring of magic zones, do those even exist now?

The Warlock Knights of Vaasa, could we get more on their order? Such things like populations, military numbers, methods of trade...who controls the Bloodstones now eh?

I'm sure lots of people are wondering about the Harpers...I never used them much, but it would be nice to hear about what is going on there now.

Who is the current Arch-Mage in Faerun? I'm not sure if I'm confused by the new book and there can only be one...or if there can be many...

Well, all the time I have for now...maybe more questions later.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    739 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  08:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    At this stage—and to stay within the 'constructive' boundaries of this thread—absolutely nothing, unless some thought and cognisance of what has gone before goes into the article before a single word is written. Perhaps actually put some money where your mouth is, collective design team, and contract these articles out to those that can do that, if any member/s inside the team cannot. You all know very well whose preview (and subsequent) Realms articles were well received and whose not, so put the egos in the pockets and get those that can to do what those that cannot, cannot.

An example of the above would be the as-yet un-canonical Monday Musings by Garen Thal. If we have to live with the changes to the Realms, I’d like to see it explained like that, as opposed to some of what we've seen to date from the 'official' source.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

Zanan
    Senior Scribe

Germany
    942 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  09:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    As I said over at the WizBoards, keep the characters of novels with the novel authors.

Spellplague events would, as I see it, only be fluff that may better be served if presented in novel form. The FR articles should concentrate on bringing "old lore" into the new world, if that old lore has any relevance these days. As in: present stuff that can be played with as well as having some (new) lore value, rather than stuff that is informative but has no playing value.

Realmsify races in a way that presents them in a FR general context, not just from a player's perspective, as has recently been done with the drow. Speaking of which, do not over-complicate matters by introducing a "dark elf race" that is in essence - as you wrote - just another "green elven tribe". It is worse enough for people reading the various drow novels and new lore to get mixed up be the term "dark elf", as it refers to both nowadays: "redeemed"* and wicked drow.

*Of course, this whole redemption stuff is in many ways so unbelievable unbelievable anyway that it is better left untouched.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
    Go to Top of Page

arry
    Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
    317 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  10:59:03  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I agree with Kyrene.
    Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
    Senior Scribe

USA
    509 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  11:46:09  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Probably any given subject covered within the 4e FRCS needs to be expanded upon.
    Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
    Learned Scribe

Singapore
    100 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  13:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Crunch
    > I would like to see more info on making clerics less generic. Paragon paths are a start but I would like to see more stuff for the heroic tier.

Fluff
    > I would like to see some really good regional maps. The existing maps are poor (I don't think anyone would argue with me there, including the designers!). Expanded regional descriptions would help.
    > Cults. What are the tanar'ri and baatezu up to in the post-Spellplague Realms (especially Eltab)?

Regards
    NXB

Edited by - Neil Bishop on 03 Oct 2008 13:36:05
    Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
    Senior Scribe

USA
    544 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  16:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Ardashir

You're going to have to be specific. Which NPCs would you like see.

Umm, the Sisters and other Chosen will be good for starters.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000