Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 An encounter with a 2E Dark Tentacles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  16:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,
I would like some advice on handling an encounter with a Dark Tentacles in my 2E campaign. I'm scaling up the 2E Tunnels under the Twisted Tower adventure in Shadowdale, for a group of level 4 PCs and I'm thinking of replacing the Aballin in room 4D with a Dark Tentacles.

First, does anyone know if the Dark Tentacles appears in any FR novels? I'd love to read a description of an encounter.

Second, if any of the more experienced DMs have run an encounter with this creature, I'd love to hear how you handled them, what--if any-- problems you may have had, and how you resolved them. I'm thinking of allowing successful "slaps" to knock the PCs prone. Any advice or comments (except hentei comments) are welcome.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 29 Oct 2008 21:04:16

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  17:34:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just make sure there's no schoolgirls in the group...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:35:07  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I knew it!!! I knew the Hamster wouldn't be able to resist making a Hentei reference

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  18:42:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing frightened me more than when I was playing a female Samurai going through the 'Baldur's Gate' adventure that my DM had constructed based on the game and we came across tentacled beasties. Especially since said DM likes the anime.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  22:36:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I knew it!!! I knew the Hamster wouldn't be able to resist making a Hentei reference

He beat me to it. Buy only because I was asleep!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Oct 2008 22:37:38
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, being as this beast is an Ed Greenwood-created monster, if no one else has vivid descriptions of them, I'd jaunt on over to his Questions thread in the Chamber of Sages and ask him.
Just don't ask The Hooded One about tentacle-riding . . .
Ahem.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  15:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Well, being as this beast is an Ed Greenwood-created monster, if no one else has vivid descriptions of them, I'd jaunt on over to his Questions thread in the Chamber of Sages and ask him.

Thanks, BB. I'll do that. Since it doesn't appear that anyone has any helpful information or suggestions regarding this monster, the moderators should feel free to delete this topic.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  23:02:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis not necessary to destroy this scroll. When and if Ed provides you with some information, you could repost it here so that other scribes with an interest in such topics, can easily access this scroll during a library search.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  10:59:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Hello all,
I would like some advice on handling an encounter with a Dark Tentacles in my 2E campaign. I'm scaling up the 2E Tunnels under

re your question on the Ed thread regarding attacks.

You can use excel to roll random d20 numbers for you - just fill all the cells on a printable page and print it off.

formula is =RAND()*(20-1)+1

I often use a printed sheet for off the cuff encounters in my game - including using sheets for wands etc (5d6, 6d6 etc). I find that I don't waste time rolling dice and adding up but just look at the sheet and announce - it speeds up play and allows us to get on with the storytelling.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  13:10:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

[quote]Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

formula is =RAND()*(20-1)+1

Actually, if you activate the Analysis Toolpak option (standard in all versions of Excel), you can use the RANDBETWEEN function which will give you a random integer between the lower (L) and higher (H) numbers inputed. Terrific for dice rolling.

RANDBETWEEN(L,H)

i.e. d20 = RANDBETWEEN(1,20)
d6 = RANDBETWEEN(1,6)
3d6 = RANDBETWEEN(1,6) + RANDBETWEEN(1,6) + RANDBETWEEN(1,6)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
Actually, if you activate the Analysis Toolpak option (standard in all versions of Excel), you can use the RANDBETWEEN function which will give you a random integer between the lower (L) and higher (H) numbers inputed. Terrific for dice rolling.

Thanks, Ashe. Sorry, could you walk me through how to activate the Analysis Toolpack option and how to set up the table. I'm something of a dunce when it comes to Excel; and imagine I'm not the only one. Thanks

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  17:17:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. From the top menu, Tools -> Add-ins. Then check off the two ToolPaks listed (one is normal, the other works with VBA as well). Hit okay and you're good to go!

If you're using Excel 2007, the only difference is you go to Excel Options and click on Add-ins.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

No problem. From the top menu, Tools -> Add-ins. Then check off the two ToolPaks listed (one is normal, the other works with VBA as well). Hit okay and you're good to go!

If you're using Excel 2007, the only difference is you go to Excel Options and click on Add-ins.

Thanks, Ashe. I managed to get it to work. Hopefully this will help.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000