Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 getting lvl 4 PCs from Shadowdale to Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  04:21:07  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

Once again, I´d like to call on the creativity and knowledge of more experienced DMs.

In my 2E campaign, the 6 level 4 PCs are in Shadowdale and I´d like to run them through the Marco Volo adventure trilogy, which starts, of course, in Waterdeep and ends in Shadowdale.

So, I need a creative way get them from Shadowdale to Waterdeep. Since the PCs are at level 4 and the Marco Volo trilogy is designed for players of levels 6-9, there´s room for adventuring on the way to Waterdeep. Does anyone know of any 2E adventure modules or supplements that would offer scenarios for me to work with?

Having them accompany a caravan westward is the obvious method of moving them--apart from pushing them through a portal--, but I´d need an adventure hook of some sort to get them moving. Two of the six PCs are newly minted Harpers.

Ideas?
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  04:29:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... You could always run them through the Avatar trilogy.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  04:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the Marco Volo adventure in particular, but I do know that the old "How was I to know the thief-disguised-as-a-festgirl would rob us blind?" trick always gets my party. Then you have said thief allegedly hitch a ride toward Waterdeep, and the heroes go after her in hot pursuit.

Also, once when I was running some low level heroes out of Shadowdale I had them run into a circle of Moondancers, who spoke cryptically as to a bit of destiny that would need to be fulfilled by one of the party members (who was a half-drow), then the heroes got dizzy in the dancing circle, passed out, and woke up somewhere else entirely.

Not that would necessarily fit with your needs--you asking about Shadowdale just reminded me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  04:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well... You could always run them through the Avatar trilogy.

Good suggestion, but our Campaign is set in late 1367, so that won´t work for us.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  06:08:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of the Hooks I've written would be good for giving PCs a reason to travel to Waterdeep...

The third hook from the first volume, concerning Sir Halon Naegio, would be a good one -- just change the destination from Silverymoon to Waterdeep.

The sixth hook in volume 4, concerning Roringar Maelkyr's spirit, could be tweaked to be near Waterdeep -- or, instead of falling to a dragon, he could have fallen in Undermountain.

The second hook in volume 6 could work, too. Ratham could be a Sembian or Cormyrian staying in Shadowdale, and he decides to start over in Waterdeep.

Looking over my Hooks, those are the ones that seem most suitable for encouraging travel. Of course, since I'm a Waterdeep junkie, several of them are quite suitable once the PCs are in Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  06:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A couple of the Hooks I've written would be good for giving PCs a reason to travel to Waterdeep...

The third hook from the first volume, [...]The sixth hook in volume 4, [...] The second hook in volume 6 could work, too.

Forgive my ignorance, thou most cuddly of rodents, but to what volumes are you referring?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  08:03:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be the Candlekeep Compendium. See either my or Wooly's signatures for the link.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  11:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could have them go into Myth Drannor and stumble into a portal that leads to Undermountain (one of the uper levels) and they can gain the necessary levels as they make their way out of there.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  13:08:40  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Alisttair's idea, especially if they have some reason to want to get back to Shadowdale. If you just have them caravan to Waterdeep and then turn around and come back, they might feel railroaded. Maybe even set up a situation where they feel that taking the portal is their idea or the least risky thing to do.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  14:16:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

You could have them go into Myth Drannor and stumble into a portal that leads to Undermountain (one of the uper levels) and they can gain the necessary levels as they make their way out of there.

"Let's go investigate Myth Drannor for really cool magic items!"

"What's that big red thing with crab claws for hands?"

"Run!"

"Uh, that doorway's glowing!"

"Who cares?! RUN!"

*Poof*

Welcome to Waterdeep.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  14:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That would be the Candlekeep Compendium. See either my or Wooly's signatures for the link.

Thank you. And could you tell me which contributor is our esteemed Hamster? Thank you.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

"Run!"

"Who cares?! RUN!"

*Poof*

Welcome to Waterdeep.

Perfect

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  15:19:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

Thank you. And could you tell me which contributor is our esteemed Hamster? Thank you.

I'll send you a PM.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  17:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

"Run!"
"Who cares?! RUN!"
*Poof*
Welcome to Waterdeep.

I like it ! Quick, efficient and entertaining for me Thanks.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  18:19:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Alisttair gave me the idea.

I've always been a big believe in making it appear that it's entirely in the player's hands, even when it's not. For instance, I'm running by players through the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch adventures right now. There's a big gap on how to get them from Wheloon to Shadowdale, and the group is full of free-thinkers. So I enticed the Knight with rumors that the rest of a magic item set might be found up there. I sealed the deal with them traveling to Suzail after the conclusion of Cormyr to give their report in person to Alusair and Caladnei, who in turn a) got them to sign an adventuring charter (Knights of Wheloon); b) added a nice RP respite from all the action of the final battle in Cormyr and the first battle in Shadowdale; c) got them to Shadowdale to investigate the news of Elminster's disappearance and the Zhentarim invasion on behalf of the Crown.

As always, it's the job of the DM to make the players feel like they are making the decisions, even when they aren't!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  20:27:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flip side is that if you decide to have them do the overland travel, you can throw stuff at them en route.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  23:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks! Alisttair gave me the idea.
As always, it's the job of the DM to make the players feel like they are making the decisions, even when they aren't!

I agree entirely. It´s like the concept of predestination. The players believe they are making free will decisions, but only within the context of the DM´s divine providence.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  23:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, here´s what I´m thinking:

The PCs will finish dungeons below the Twisted Tower and, after being celebrated by Mourngrym, Storm Silverhand will send the two Harper PCs (the group´s leaders) to Dagger Falls to investigate why she has lost contact with her Harper contacts there. They are to report to her as soon as possible. The Harper agents are among those affected by the mysterious Dream Fever.

In Dagger Falls the PCs will go through the "Doom of Daggerdale" adventure, but as they discover the source of the Dream Fever are attempting defeat Colderon the Mage in his crypt, he summons a creature that they cannot defeat. They are forced to run and stumble through the portal that drops them in the Underdark. Colderon destroys the portal.

In the Underdark--the PCs have no idea where they are--, the PCs stumble upon a wealthy Waterdavian merchant who is being held hostage for ransom. His ransomers have already sent two of his digits to his family, but unfortunately for the merchant, his son would like nothing more than to have his father out the way so that he can take the reins. The merchant (one of the lords of Waterdeep) begs the PCs to help him escape and promises to reward them richly.

The PCs help him escape and fight their way out of the Underdark. He rewards them with money, a Waterdavian condo , and with prestige. The latter is accomplished by spreading the word about their exploits, which garners them an invitation to the annual gathering of adventurers at Mother Tathlorn´s House of Pleasure and Healing. There--as per the "Marco Volo: Departure" adventure, the PCs meet up with Marco Volo. The PCs, anxious to get back to Shadowdale to report to Storm, and to Dagger Falls to stop Colderon´s plot, jump at Marco´s grandfather´s request that they accompany his troublesome grandson to Shadowdale.

Voilá

I know nothing about the Underdark and precious little about Waterdeep, so I have lots of research to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 23 Oct 2008 01:45:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  00:36:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know nothing about the Underdark and precious little about Waterdeep, so I have lots of research to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.
You'll probably want copies of most of the 1e/2e/3e sources that focus on both the Underdark and Waterdeep. All the main sources have either "Underdark" or "Waterdeep" in their titles. I would also suggest you visit paizo.com and access their PDF downloads store for most of the 1e/2e sources for these two areas.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Oct 2008 00:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  00:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You'll probably want copies of most of the 1e/2e/3e sources that focus on both the Underdark and Waterdeep. All the main sources have either "Underdark" or "Waterdeep" in their titles. I would also suggest you visit paizo.com and access their PDF downloads store for most of the 1e/2e sources for these two areas.

Thanks, Sage. Any thoughts on where to begin, though?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:00:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's absolute oodles of material out there for Waterdeep...

I'd say that the most important ones are:

FR1 Waterdeep & the North
City of Splendors boxed set
City of Splendors: Waterdeep
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep

Of them, I'd most recommend the City of Splendors boxed set and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. The boxed set is the most informative source about the city, and Volo's Guide gives it some serious flavor. The 3E book would be good simply for the updated info.

There's also two boxed sets and a series of modules for Undermountain.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:37:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Sage. Any thoughts on where to begin, though?

Well, Wooly covered the most important titles for Waterdeep. Most of which can be purchased via PDF [for just $4 US] at paizo.com:- http://paizo.com/store

As for Underdark sources... Ed Greenword's Drow of the Underdark and Eric Boyd's Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark remain the most detailed sources. The 3e Underdark tome may also prove useful.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marvelous. Thank you all.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:48:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, don't forget Halister used to send things into MD from Undermountain through the portal in the Naturalist building in MD.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  02:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

BTW, don't forget Halister used to send things into MD from Undermountain through the portal in the Naturalist building in MD.

Sorry, could you give me a bit more context? I´m not familiar with Halister.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  03:14:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. It's Halaster actually. :) Sorry. But he, when MD was still settled, used to send beasties to MD from Undermountain. So there should, less Halaster sealed them, still be portals that connect MD with Undermountain.

quote:

quote:

Sorry, could you give me a bit more context? I´m not familiar with Halister.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  03:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops. It's Halaster actually. :) Sorry. But he, when MD was still settled, used to send beasties to MD from Undermountain. So there should, less Halaster sealed them, still be portals that connect MD with Undermountain.

Okay, but can you tell me something about this Halaster? Does s/he appear in an adventure or a novel or a supplement of some sort?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  03:55:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Okay, but can you tell me something about this Halaster? Does s/he appear in an adventure or a novel or a supplement of some sort?

Yup. The Undermountain boxed sets and modules, and a couple of other places -- among them, Elminster in Hell and Blackstaff. The first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set is your best bet.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  04:07:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Undermountain Stardock adventure module, which kinda ties in with Steven's Blackstaff novel because it explains why Halaster does what he does at the end of that novel due to what happens to him during that module. :)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup. The Undermountain boxed sets and modules, and a couple of other places -- among them, Elminster in Hell and Blackstaff. The first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set is your best bet.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  04:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And the Undermountain Stardock adventure module, which kinda ties in with Steven's Blackstaff novel because it explains why Halaster does what he does at the end of that novel due to what happens to him during that module. :)

Excellent! Thank you both.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  05:26:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, the info about Halaster's portal events should be in the Cormanthor:Empire of the Elves sourcebook, in the timeline section of that sourcebook about MD before it fell to the Army of Darkness. It should also be in the Grand History. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Oct 2008 05:27:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000