Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Mistshore - 15 - 21 and Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:12:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Mistshore (Book 2 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Jaleigh Johnson. Please discuss chapters 15 - 21 and the epilogue herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  18:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my god. This novel was absolutely amazing. Ed Greenwood put it best in the introduction about this story of Waterdeep: "A darned good one"

I hope that Icelin and Ruen's future adventures outside of Waterdeep will be novelized. If Sull and Bellaril can be crammed in that story as well, those are supporting characters I'd like to see again as well.

Good work Jaleigh Johnson - definately a great chance of becoming a fizture in FR

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  05:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh my god. This novel was absolutely amazing. Ed Greenwood put it best in the introduction about this story of Waterdeep: "A darned good one"

I hope that Icelin and Ruen's future adventures outside of Waterdeep will be novelized. If Sull and Bellaril can be crammed in that story as well, those are supporting characters I'd like to see again as well.

Good work Jaleigh Johnson - definately a great chance of becoming a fizture in FR

Thank you, Alisttair, for posting your comments, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. If given the chance, I would love to revisit Icelin and Ruen and the rest. Their continuing adventures have been banging around in my head since I finished Mistshore.

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  23:38:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved it, and it earned a spot on my shelf for books to be re-read, along with Lotr, DL chronicles, Salvatore, de Bie and Ed.

Many, many thanks for the veneration of Mystra in the closing. I enjoyed when thewords "In Mystra's memory" was echoed by the men of the watch in the boats.

I hope you get a chance to tell more of Icelin Ruen and Sully's tales as they all look for answers, be it how to cure Icelin or Sully's search for spices and recipes.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  18:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Loved it, and it earned a spot on my shelf for books to be re-read, along with Lotr, DL chronicles, Salvatore, de Bie and Ed.

Many, many thanks for the veneration of Mystra in the closing. I enjoyed when thewords "In Mystra's memory" was echoed by the men of the watch in the boats.

I hope you get a chance to tell more of Icelin Ruen and Sully's tales as they all look for answers, be it how to cure Icelin or Sully's search for spices and recipes.

That's quite a shelf, I'm honored to be on it. I'm very glad you liked the book, Red Walker, and thanks so much for posting your thoughts along the way.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  02:13:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

That's quite a shelf, I'm honored to be on it. I'm very glad you liked the book, Red Walker, and thanks so much for posting your thoughts along the way.

Thank You and we can't wait to see what you have for us next!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  16:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I wrote sooner, I've finished it yesterday and really loved the story.
Thanks again to Jaleigh.
I really want to read the sequel to be released !
So, is it being writen Jaleigh ? (not sure my sentence is correct !)

Using spoiler (as beige as color of font) or by PM, could someone remind me the capabilities of Ruen's ring ? I feel I did not really understand the whole panel of using of it !
That's what I understood : (select to make the sentence come out) it increases a fact that Ruen, or the wearer, already feels ? I must have misunderstood something !

Last one (ATM !) : What is exactly the Ruen's touching capability ? (select to make the sentence come out)When he touches someone, he knows right away when the person will die. Is that all and correct ?

Once again, thanks a lot to Jaleigh
And thanks to the scribes who will answer and help me.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  03:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

As I wrote sooner, I've finished it yesterday and really loved the story.
Thanks again to Jaleigh.
I really want to read the sequel to be released !
So, is it being writen Jaleigh ? (not sure my sentence is correct !)

There's nothing in the works right now, but I'd love to write a sequel, believe me. Ultimately, though, that's up to Wizards to decide.

quote:

Using spoiler (as beige as color of font) or by PM, could someone remind me the capabilities of Ruen's ring ? I feel I did not really understand the whole panel of using of it !
That's what I understood : (select to make the sentence come out) it increases a fact that Ruen, or the wearer, already feels ? I must have misunderstood something !

Last one (ATM !) : What is exactly the Ruen's touching capability ? (select to make the sentence come out)When he touches someone, he knows right away when the person will die. Is that all and correct ?

Once again, thanks a lot to Jaleigh
And thanks to the scribes who will answer and help me.

I'm just going to use Spoiler space for anyone who doesn't want to see these answers.

As for Ruen's ring, in the novel it increased the strength of the wearer, so that Ruen was able to fight without injury, and Icelin's magic was magnified, things like that. I have other ideas of things the ring does, but I'd prefer to keep those to myself, in case that sequel does ever manifest.

When Ruen touches someone, yes he's able to get a general impression of how close that person is to death, but it isn't an exact science by any means, and even Ruen doesn't fully understand his "gift" as it's not something he has ever wanted to test extensively. So you could say his exact capabilities are unknown.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  18:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks once again for those pieces of information Jaleigh.

I'm sure other scribes will agree with me : We'd like so very much that you write at least one sequel ! really !

I'd like to discover the other feats of Ruen's ring...

Read you soon.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  00:34:09  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished this book. It's very good! I really liked the plot, though I felt bad for the big, dumb bad guy that Ruen killed. That pair was kinda like the Steinbeck crew.

Also, since Jaleigh is answering questions, did you make up the Mistshore stuff yourself, or did you get notes from Ed? Just curious. I really liked it. The ghost theater was really cool.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  13:24:38  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One suggestion, if you do get to publish more books with Icelin, Ruen, and Sull; please don't let them find a miracle magic cure for their spellscars. Have them actually have to deal with the issue in a regular way. I like that they are tragic heroes, and NOT a superhero like many FR characters.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan

Edited by - danbuter on 18 Jan 2009 13:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  03:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

Just finished this book. It's very good! I really liked the plot, though I felt bad for the big, dumb bad guy that Ruen killed. That pair was kinda like the Steinbeck crew.

Also, since Jaleigh is answering questions, did you make up the Mistshore stuff yourself, or did you get notes from Ed? Just curious. I really liked it. The ghost theater was really cool.

First off, many thanks, I'm happy you liked the book, danbuter. The description of Mistshore in the FR campaign guide was pretty much what I had to go on when designing the place. Ed and my editor, Susan Morris, filled in other details, but basically all I knew was Mistshore was out in the harbor and that it was many shipwrecks lashed together to form a rough neighborhood. Specific places like the ghost theater, the Cradle, Ferryman's Waltz and the Dusk and Dawn are all my contributions. The scenes in the ghost theater were some of my favorites to write.

As for Icelin and Ruen's spellscars...if I ever get the chance to continue writing their journey, I've got the ending more or less in mind, and have had since I finished Mistshore. I needed to know what happened to them in my own head even if it never got to the page. All I can tell you is that for me it's the right ending, it feels right, and it feels true to the characters. That's a complete non-answer, I know, but to elaborate would give away something I'm not prepared to give away, especially if a sequel ever does happen. But in the meantime, the door is wide open as to their fates, so you can write your own ending in your head.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  07:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IŽll readily admit that I was a very sceptic reader of this novel quite from the beginning, simply for the fact that I have developed such a strong bias against spellscars and anything 4E that IŽm hardly able to really start a new FR novel without waiting for "the inevitable" that will turn me off it, at least to a degree.

But this novel won me around quite quickly. YouŽve managed to tap into the history of the FR (another thank you here for the veneration of Mystra), while still showcasing many new and wondrous things that always felt very realmsian and as if they would really fit brilliantly with Waterdeep. And the characters certainly were enriched by their spellscars, but not defined by them, but simply by real character traits, which made them very believeable and easy to relate to.
A good plot, compelling characters and excellent pacing of the story. Now this was a really fun novel and I, too, would certainly be very interested in a sequel.

Ah...and an extra +1 for that woderful female dwarf.Brilliant

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  05:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

IŽll readily admit that I was a very sceptic reader of this novel quite from the beginning, simply for the fact that I have developed such a strong bias against spellscars and anything 4E that IŽm hardly able to really start a new FR novel without waiting for "the inevitable" that will turn me off it, at least to a degree.

But this novel won me around quite quickly. YouŽve managed to tap into the history of the FR (another thank you here for the veneration of Mystra), while still showcasing many new and wondrous things that always felt very realmsian and as if they would really fit brilliantly with Waterdeep. And the characters certainly were enriched by their spellscars, but not defined by them, but simply by real character traits, which made them very believeable and easy to relate to.
A good plot, compelling characters and excellent pacing of the story. Now this was a really fun novel and I, too, would certainly be very interested in a sequel.

Ah...and an extra +1 for that woderful female dwarf.Brilliant

That's high praise indeed, Dart, and I thank you kindly for it. I appreciate you giving the novel a chance despite your misgivings and I'm happy that you weren't disappointed.

It's funny, when I wrote the line venerating Mystra, I remember thinking it seemed right to end the chapter and the major action of the book honoring her, especially since most of the book is taken up with magic in one form or another, and Mystra is present in the story conspicuously by her absence. But I never expected the line to stand out with so many of you. I'm glad that it did.

And all this talk about a sequel has got the characters in my head again, now they won't stay quiet.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  12:50:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading Mistshore. Almost done with it, great book.

I noticed on page 271 that you mention in Aldrens Altar what happened to Deneir. Is it true. I guess it is if it is in a Forgotten Realms Novel. Did Wizards tell you to put that in or did you put it in after somebody told you about it. Or was it just artistic lisensce(sp).

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  18:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not want to take Jaleigh's place but, to prevent you from waiting for the official answer, I could say that, indeed,
[SPOILER, select the following lines to enlight them]
So, indeed, the quoted gods in page 271 disappeared during the Spellplague.
As an example, if you have a look at the FRCG 4, you will see that Deneir is not part of the FR pantheon anymore and that Cadderly's Spirit Soaring, the temple to Deneir is now a haunted ruin.

About the potential poetic license , I think that these gods deaths were in the early Wizards specifications ; before the 4th edition release, when it was only a project.

Hoping that it answers some pieces of your question...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  04:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I am currently reading Mistshore. Almost done with it, great book.

I noticed on page 271 that you mention in Aldrens Altar what happened to Deneir. Is it true. I guess it is if it is in a Forgotten Realms Novel. Did Wizards tell you to put that in or did you put it in after somebody told you about it. Or was it just artistic lisensce(sp).

BRIMSTONE

Hello Brimstone,

Sorry for the late reply, my day job is unfortunately cutting sharply into my online time. I'm glad you're enjoying Mistshore, and to answer your question, Wizards did not tell me to include Deneir's fate in the novel. I knew from early information I had on the 4th Edition Realms that certain gods, including Deneir, were "gone" without knowing their specific fates. This got me thinking about Aldren, how he would carry the memory of gods that were lost without knowing what had become of them. For him to worship these gods was simultaneously a comfort and a sorrow. That's the feeling I was going for anyway. Thinking about it now, I really wish I'd left more of a place for Aldren in the book. He was my link between the past and the present Realms, but he's introduced so late in the story that he doesn't get the chance to shine the way he could have. Ah well, live and learn.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  06:46:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  17:16:08  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm at the start of chapter 18 so still got a bit to go but I thought it was really cleaver how Ruen saved bell's life by taking her out of the cradle so she didn't end up like Arowell if she had remained at the cradle

how could you kill Borion he was brilliant
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  18:24:58  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just finished I felt sorry for Cerest in the end he wasn't evil just insane he could have handle things much better if he was sane and no need to murder anyone

will you be writing about Bell v the lock sisters I think that would make a good short story

Thanks for the tale it was pleasently ok

Edited by - Tremaine on 24 Jul 2010 20:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  19:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

how could you kill Borion he was brilliant

Sorry, had to happen, but I'm glad you liked him. I liked him too.

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  19:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine
will you be writing about Bell v the lock sisters I think that would make a good short story

No plans at the moment, but I would never rule it out. Be a nasty fight, that's for sure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000