Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Mistshore - Chapters 8 - 14
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:12:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Mistshore (Book 2 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Jaleigh Johnson. Please discuss chapters 8 - 14 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well at this point, I am really wondering what the deal is/was between Cerest and Icelin's grandfather. Obviously they did know each other but I am wondering in what capacity they really knew each other.

Anyways, Ruen's ability to see when someone's life is scheduled to end upon touching them with his bare hands in intriguing. That is something I would not enjoy.

Jaleigh Joghnson is doing an excellent job thus far of portraying Spellscarred in the realms and how it affects people differently. It's great to see how it affects both Icelin and Ruen in different ways. A gift that comes with a price.

Oh and of course, Mistshore itself is made very fascinating by her vivid descriptions of the place. Just reading it makes me want to send players into that part of Waterdeep in an upcoming campaign.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  16:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the scene that reveals Ruen's backstory, and I think it's one of the most wonderful chapters I've read in recent fantasy fiction. The characterization of the acting troupe, the description of their performance, their nature and their "daily wear." Wow! It reminded me of the Players scenes in the play the quote from my .sig line is from, Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. This is a fine, fine novel.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  16:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I just read the scene that reveals Ruen's backstory, and I think it's one of the most wonderful chapters I've read in recent fantasy fiction. The characterization of the acting troupe, the description of their performance, their nature and their "daily wear." Wow! It reminded me of the Players scenes in the play the quote from my .sig line is from, Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. This is a fine, fine novel.

This scene had me captivated as well. Great stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  18:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I really loved writing that scene. It's great to hear you both enjoyed it so much, especially on a day that hasn't started out with much in the way of good things. Thanks for the lift. :)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  00:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I really loved writing that scene. It's great to hear you both enjoyed it so much, especially on a day that hasn't started out with much in the way of good things. Thanks for the lift. :)

A pleasure! Thank you for writing such an outstanding novel (I know its a little early for me to say this seeing that I still have 80 pages to read but still, so far it's great)!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:19:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This novel gets better and better as yougo!(and it started pretty damn well to boot)
The sunken actors troupe........what can I say? and the appearance of them taking the guise of crows, "stealing" the story from the "scarecrow".....
.whew, that's deep dude!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 30 Sep 2008 20:31:48
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  04:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to apologize to Jaleigh Johnson because when i read her shorty story that took place in Amn. I was a little upset with the ending it wasn't long enough for me to get a proper feel for her writing. I'm a little more then halfway through mist shore and she is an amazing writer and I love her style of story telling. I hope that some day the quality of my work will be on par with yours. I have ti change one of my dwarves hair colors now but great story very well done. P.S. I know it sounds like I'm blowing smoke but kudos.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  18:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

I would like to apologize to Jaleigh Johnson because when i read her shorty story that took place in Amn. I was a little upset with the ending it wasn't long enough for me to get a proper feel for her writing. I'm a little more then halfway through mist shore and she is an amazing writer and I love her style of story telling. I hope that some day the quality of my work will be on par with yours. I have ti change one of my dwarves hair colors now but great story very well done. P.S. I know it sounds like I'm blowing smoke but kudos.

No need to apologize, Stout Heart, I appreciated your comments on the short story because they were an honest emotional response to what you'd read. That's the kind of feedback I want as an author. I want to hear how characters affect readers, whether positive or negative. I'm so glad to hear you're liking Mistshore, and I hope you can forgive Dev's attitude in Chase the Dark. He's a tough guy to like, I know.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  18:53:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I miss my vacation time when I was able to read a book a day. Now I can barely crack open a book and read a page! This is very distressing since I only got about 10 pages into Mistshore, enough to know that I like it and want to finish it.

Good job, JJ!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  22:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

*sigh* I miss my vacation time when I was able to read a book a day. Now I can barely crack open a book and read a page! This is very distressing since I only got about 10 pages into Mistshore, enough to know that I like it and want to finish it.

Good job, JJ!

Thanks! I know what you mean about the vacation time. I pack an overnight bag full of books when I go on a trip. Always too many to read and never enough time.

Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  23:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Stout Heart

No need to apologize, Stout Heart, I appreciated your comments on the short story because they were an honest emotional response to what you'd read. That's the kind of feedback I want as an author. I want to hear how characters affect readers, whether positive or negative. I'm so glad to hear you're liking Mistshore, and I hope you can forgive Dev's attitude in Chase the Dark. He's a tough guy to like, I know.

Yea I wanted to kill him my self at the end of the story.

Edited by - Stout Heart on 07 Oct 2008 23:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2008 :  14:53:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Good job, JJ!

Thanks! I know what you mean about the vacation time. I pack an overnight bag full of books when I go on a trip. Always too many to read and never enough time.

I find myself feeling like Burgess Meredith in the Twilight Zone. Fortunately, my eyesight's not that bad...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  16:13:09  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icelin dreams are a bit mysterious aren't there burning alive and bursting into flame eek

the cradles cool, liked the fight scenes between Ruen v Maltreth and Ruen v Bell

enjoyed Sull's scene of his younger days, I understand now why he helped Icelin

Hmm watchmen Tarvin I guess he lost a friend in the fire caused by Icelin

Lord Theycain buying up babies shows up the seedy side of mistshore

the spectral lady is that an image of Icelin's mother?

Hehe like Arowall and how he was disappointed that he couldn't kill the diseased people any-more and had to send them to the isle instead

what is Ki? and what a curse knowing when someone will die it's like that old x-files episode Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

chapter 14 is cool with the ghostly troupe and the play of Ruan childhood
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

the spectral lady is that an image of Icelin's mother?

No, the image comes from the cameo Icelin carries with her, the one she received as payment from Kredaron.

Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  20:39:33  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm i wonder who she was she seem's nice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000