Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Crypt of the Moaning Diamond: Chapters 21 - 25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  15:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (Book 4 of the Dungeons series), by Rosemary Jones. Please discuss chapters 21 - 25 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  02:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the book grew on me once I got over the fact that the tone was different from what I expected. I liked the ending, with everything coming together quite nicely and the Siegebreakers coming out smelling good.

I was impressed at the use of a Rust Monster. That creature is so meta-gamey I thought it could never be worked into a novel without being an obvious way to weaken the protagonist before a big fight. And then you used it to make Sanval Manynames feel bad about not looking spiffy anymore. Good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  04:49:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Well, the book grew on me once I got over the fact that the tone was different from what I expected. I liked the ending, with everything coming together quite nicely and the Siegebreakers coming out smelling good.

I was impressed at the use of a Rust Monster. That creature is so meta-gamey I thought it could never be worked into a novel without being an obvious way to weaken the protagonist before a big fight. And then you used it to make Sanval Manynames feel bad about not looking spiffy anymore. Good stuff.

I like how the rust monster, by disheveling Sir Manynames well kept armor and clothes, sent him into a murderous mood so foul he bashed it's head in with his boot. But what bothered him was that it was not the boot already dirty and now both needed repair!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  01:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

[quote]Originally posted by Ozzalum

I just loved Sanval's armor but I felt he really needed a crisis of heart and wardrobe at the end. And, somehow, when you have shiny armor, you just need to have rust -- at least in my view of the world.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. A terrific artist friend just designed a bookplate for this book. If you'd like one, I'll sign it and mail it off. Just e-mail me.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com

Edited by - Rosemary Jones on 02 Jan 2008 01:35:35
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  01:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A terrific artist friend just designed a bookplate for this book. If you'd like one, I'll sign it and mail it off. Just e-mail me.

I had to look up what a bookplate was. After all that talk about full plate armor it was a little disappointing to learn it was a decorative sticker.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  02:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine today. Very amusing.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  19:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I had to look up what a bookplate was. After all that talk about full plate armor it was a little disappointing to learn it was a decorative sticker.

At least you don't have to worry about Rust Monsters or even paying the servants to keep it polished.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  19:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a message that somebody tried to e-mail me through the forum and it wouldn't work. And when I tried to e-mail back through the forum, I got a note that I didn't have enough posts to e-mail members directly.

I love hearing from readers and will try to check for messages here at least once a week. However, if you need a faster response, you can find my direct e-mail at my website (address listed below my signature).

Happy 2008!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  13:33:16  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn’t able to put my two cents for the chapters or having much new to add now, but I liked the book nonetheless very much.

Sometimes it’s good to read that even a shining hero can be reduced to “underwear” and keep going on – I have to recommend the book to all my players, when they next whine about their gear

Edited by - Matthus on 18 Jan 2008 13:33:43
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  03:00:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Ozzalum

I just loved Sanval's armor but I felt he really needed a crisis of heart and wardrobe at the end. And, somehow, when you have shiny armor, you just need to have rust -- at least in my view of the world.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. A terrific artist friend just designed a bookplate for this book. If you'd like one, I'll sign it and mail it off. Just e-mail me.

I got mine. Very Cool! Thanks so much Rosemary!!

Go to Top of Page

ldebie
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:27:41  Show Profile  Visit ldebie's Homepage Send ldebie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ours came too, along with a gracious note from the author herself. Thanks Rosemary!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  04:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad people are enjoying the bookplates. I've got plenty so if anyone wants one, just drop me an e-mail.

Matthus: players should never whine to their DM. Unless it's me and I get to whine when I like :)

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  17:01:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad people are enjoying the bookplates. I've got plenty so if anyone wants one, just drop me an e-mail.

Matthus: players should never whine to their DM. Unless it's me and I get to whine when I like :)

That is the dwarf's pup on the bookplate right?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2008 :  13:51:19  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That is the dwarf's pup on the bookplate right?

I willing to believe it is Ms. Wiggles on the bookplate. I would bet a old ham bone on it.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt Holmes, a terrific young artist currently studying here in Seattle, did the drawing for me. He took home my descriptions of Wiggles and came up with drawing that you see. I just loved it when I saw it!

If you haven't seen the bookplate yet, the picture can be seen on my website.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  16:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Summed up with as few words as possible: A great read!

I have difficulty chiming in on books in parts, so I usually wait till I finish before I comment on a book. The first (and possibly negative item, but not on the author's part) to comment on is the teaser in the front cover. After reading the three paragraphs, I knew what was happening when the Siegebreakers found the dead bugbear body, and later with the tracks they found. I did think at the time that Fottergrim was in the second party, following Archlis, but it was only a group he sent after the magelord.

Like everyone else, pets are never mentioned enough in the Realms. As a dog lover, I really like Mumchance, and the dynamics within the Siegebreakers was great. "It's a good day when everyone comes home" is a good tagline, almost Firefly-like.

The light hearted tone is also a very welcome breath of fresh air. I get tired of the RSE-style, the-world-will-be-destroyed-if-the-evil-isn't-stopped style of writing. I wouldn't classify this as humor (it isn't that light-hearted), but the tone is wonderful.

The style of writing and pacing (which could be considered part of style) also work for me. That is a matter of opinion, but the book has action in a few places and talk in others that blend very well together. It wasn't all action or all talk and blending the two, with the characters the author created, was a great mix.

I also appreciate the lack of meta-gaming in the book. When Sanval met the rust monster, he didn't know what it was or how to get past it. When the Siegebreakers met the dread, they knew what it was from a past encounter with another dread. And Wiggles had to be a part of the action, too. Each encounter wasn't the sort of "oh, it is this creature, we do this action and kill it" sort of thing.

The Siegebreakers also use their intelligence in encounters. Against the dread, the trap with the crushing ceiling, and the encounter with the blind-creatures-with-big-ears that I cannot remember their name are all handled quite well.

Overall, a must read book.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  04:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another item of note about the novel. Maybe I am jaded by gaming too much, but most games I have been involved in have the pcs act in a mercenary fashion. Sure, we will save the town, but the dragon has lots of cool stuff! The last gaming group I was in I tried to do actions for non-monetary rewards and just do good deeds just to do them. It was a disaster and the group fell apart because of inner group dynamics.

It was wonderful to read about a group of people (not necessarily players, but close enough) who would take on an evil wizard for putting on the pressure on a bunch of pig farmers. Their reward: a few hams. I want to sign up for this group. I want to be a Siegebreaker!

It is the little things, like trying to get the money for a new roof for the barn because a wyvern was ill on it that made this book a delight to read.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  18:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Summed up with as few words as possible: A great read!

Thank you! It's really interesting to see what people react to. I do think that the goals characters have in novels have to be quite different from players in a campaign. I'm glad that worked for you.

And, although I love reading "the world will end tomorrow" books, from the moment I thought of this story, it just felt like it should be very small and personal, about these people achieving their own goals for the day rather than saving the world.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  21:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

It was wonderful to read about a group of people (not necessarily players, but close enough) who would take on an evil wizard for putting on the pressure on a bunch of pig farmers. Their reward: a few hams. I want to sign up for this group. I want to be a Siegebreaker!

I agree--by the end of the book, I was happy that everyone "got home safe", and I felt like I wanted to go home with them, too! I'd definitely love to READ more about these characters, at any rate. I want to find out more about them, how they live their lives, and I was finding myself rather tantalized regarding the mostly unknown sister (unknown to the reader, of course), Mimeri.

Definitely a wonderful novel. Rosemary, please check your email inbox...I would love a bookplate.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2008 :  16:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I want to find out more about them, how they live their lives, and I was finding myself rather tantalized regarding the mostly unknown sister (unknown to the reader, of course), Mimeri.

Definitely a wonderful novel. Rosemary, please check your email inbox...I would love a bookplate.

Thanks so much. The bookplate is on its way!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2008 :  23:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks so much. The bookplate is on its way!

You're welcome. Thank you for sending a bookplate! Can't wait to get it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2008 :  00:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosemary, I received the bookplate in the mail today. Thank you very much, and thank you for the lovely card as well.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  17:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed reading the book, but I didn’t like the way it ended. After reading it I realized that there wasn’t anything that surprised me ore made me think deeper over what had happened in the history.

One thick I liked was the way you described the mage eager fore getting the Moaning Diamond, and the way he saw others around him.

It wasn’t bad - but it wasn’t good either.

Vic

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  05:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I enjoyed reading the book, but I didn’t like the way it ended. After reading it I realized that there wasn’t anything that surprised me ore made me think deeper over what had happened in the history.

I'm not a world-changer writer, at least in not in this novel

Try Ed's Neversfall. I think you might like that; it's a great exploration of that part of the Realms.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  08:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosemary, congratulations! The Dungeons were all great reads, but yours is by far the best of the lot. It even had a romantic ending. And as The Flash always says: "Nobody dies!" I loved the fact that Wiggles was both a pet and a possible liability with all the yapping. I loved how it was her chewing on the dread that disenchanted it. I loved the absolute chaos and culture shock induced misunderstanding atop the walls. I loved how Archlis didn't get out of the way of the wall, like the 'breakers would have known through past experience. Everything was nicely wrapped up, except for one nagging question... Okay, make that two: just how did Ivy get her Bluff skill so high and when is your next novel coming out?

P.S. I'd love a bookplate, but am not going to burden you with the postage.

*scampers off to go and re-read your short story in Realms of the Dragons II*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  11:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

just how did Ivy get her Bluff skill so high and when is your next novel coming out?

P.S. I'd love a bookplate, but am not going to burden you with the postage.

*scampers off to go and re-read your short story in Realms of the Dragons II*

First. my apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I've been a bit swamped this summer with various projects including changing my day job, going to a family reunion, and a few other things.

IMO, Ivy was born with a very good bluffing skill, which wrangling the Siegebreakers has only strengthened.

As I state on my website, I'm happy to mail my bookplate anywhere! So don't worry about the postage -- if you think it is truly awesome, recommend the book to a friend, that's thanks enough. It's probably best to go to my website and e-mail me through the address posted there. I'm trying to get back into the forum but it may not be as frequently as I'd like for the next couple of months.

Thanks again for the nice comments!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
747 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  07:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I state on my website, I'm happy to mail my bookplate anywhere!

Just to publically say, Rosemary Jones is teh besto! I got my bookplate—and a very nice written card—in the mail on Thursday. I would have been on here, giving thanks, earlier, but my internet has been down until now. Once again, much thanks Rosemary!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  15:13:12  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just finished the novel it was a very fun read!

I liked how ivy was asking for Fottergrim to Fottergrim in his castle, and her negations with the Thultry over Sanval lending his armour to a bugbear very amusing

thanks for the read
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  21:35:33  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the two bugbears were great and I also liked very much the long ending after the final fight! This should actually be used much more in FR novels: not cutting the book off fast, but continue some time after the story's end with the heroes in peace times.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  04:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit the ending lasted so long because I had a very hard time saying goodbye to these characters. I always wanted to take them to Procampur for another adventure.

Best,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must admit the ending lasted so long because I had a very hard time saying goodbye to these characters. I always wanted to take them to Procampur for another adventure.

Well, good for us! I really really liked this long end. And it really contributed to wanting to pull out dice and character sheet because it gave this adventure group feel. Having finished an adventure, doing some stuff in between and prepare for the next one. Classical gaming group. And that's what missing in almost all FR novels. The end is just too short in general.

Edit: Actually the point is this: in a shared world setting, a long end permits to provide setting flavor without having to follow a story plot anymore. Just provide atmosphere and nice setting details.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 07 Jun 2010 19:37:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000