Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Community Project
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  18:30:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, that one. :) Mark and I were talking about a different project, which is why we, or at least I, was confused.

However, there isn't any difference between Evilknights and my idea except ours will have more sources on it. :) Since, as I told Sage, over on page 1 of this thread, that other file is missing a lot of sources.

If I was doing that entry you quoted, I'd add a page # for Iriaebor, the river, Cormyr, and Inner Sea to the list of entries.

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I spoke about this one :
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/start.htm

Another question Boss :
Do we have to report every quotation of an entry in our files ?
Example :
quote:
Cyc p.54
The many-towered city of Iriaebor occupies a sprawling ridge above the south fork of the River Chionthar. It is the farthest that barges can be pulled up the river, and this, combined with the fact that the city is the endpoint of roads coming out of Cormyr and the Inner Sea, makes Iriaebor one of the most populous and economically powerful cities in the region.

Which ones should we report ?
all the entries in bold or just those which are a bit described ? (Here in Iriaebor in fact)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2008 18:31:40
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  20:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a fantastic idea. I have quite a large collection of older edition FR books and I'd like to help if I can.

For my own campaign I've produced a spreadsheet with over 700 entries for NPCs in and around Waterdeep alone (some of them are duplicates to allow for easy searching by affiliation though).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  21:07:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snds good. :) Added you to the notes I was keeping.

And cough, I did a lot of the NPC work for people in my last two projects. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

This is a fantastic idea. I have quite a large collection of older edition FR books and I'd like to help if I can.

For my own campaign I've produced a spreadsheet with over 700 entries for NPCs in and around Waterdeep alone (some of them are duplicates to allow for easy searching by affiliation though).

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  21:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I think I PMed you about it a while back to see if I could *cough* borrow some of it to save me some work on my Waterdhavian NPC database/spreadsheet thing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  21:38:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nod nod. :) Been awhile, so I didn't keep track on who messaged me about them. Grin.

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

I think I PMed you about it a while back to see if I could *cough* borrow some of it to save me some work on my Waterdhavian NPC database/spreadsheet thing.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  19:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje,
what's the dead line to send you our work ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:03:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, that one. :) Mark and I were talking about a different project, which is why we, or at least I, was confused.

I think we were both thinking of the Encylopedia Project.

Which is another one that should be gotten back to, since the one that WotC is planning will most likely only include post-3e info (if it ever sees the light of day at all).

Anyhow, I'm unfortunately not going to be home until tomorrow night, so I won't be able to continue until then. However, I should have most, if not all, of it done be Wednesday (being unemployed does have certain advantages).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Aug 2008 19:00:32
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  22:54:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asap, but I know people are also busy, including me. :) Classes at the local college start back up next week, so I'll be busy with homework, etc. But I didn't have a set deadline, however, if it starts to be two weeks, or more, before I hear anything, I'll start lookin for someone else to finish the pages.

quote:

Kuje,
what's the dead line to send you our work ?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  00:51:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage could take pages 32 to 42.
Right.

I'll start tackling those pages this week. I should have them done by the weekend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  05:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Asap, but I know people are also busy, including me. :) Classes at the local college start back up next week, so I'll be busy with homework, etc. But I didn't have a set deadline, however, if it starts to be two weeks, or more, before I hear anything, I'll start lookin for someone else to finish the pages.

Till this week end will be enough for me Boss !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RE "'Flora' and 'Fauna": THO answered some of my questions about those a couple of weeks ago in a thread I authored on magical plants. I can't get the URL at the moment, but search for "plants" in posts by me in the past year or so and it should pop right up.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a long-term project I'm working on a table of spells by functional type, which will make the extensive and wide-scattered body of Realms magic much easier to conceptually grasp and use in play.
(type, level, spell (Realms name), 1E/2E write-up, 3E write-up, novel references, creator/origin, known by)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  08:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may help: http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  11:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished.
I'm surprised by one of the terms I found : "Zhentarinl", CotR, p. 62
I think this is a misprint. Isn't it ?

I worked with Excel. So I make the Word files and send it to you Kuje.
WIll be done before tonight. (it's 11:45 AM in France)

EDIT : files are gone to Kuje.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  16:39:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably a typo, aye. I've seen a few in there that I ignored. And received. Will look them over shortly.

quote:

I've just finished.
I'm surprised by one of the terms I found : "Zhentarinl", CotR, p. 62
I think this is a misprint. Isn't it ?

I worked with Excel. So I make the Word files and send it to you Kuje.
WIll be done before tonight. (it's 11:45 AM in France)

EDIT : files are gone to Kuje.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  20:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje, other pages to search through ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  20:13:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't had a chance to look yet. Hope to today, sorry, got busy. :) If not, probably morrow.

quote:

Kuje, other pages to search through ?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  15:19:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still working on it. Hey, I'm on vacation, remember?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  17:21:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Semi-on topic.

I found another reference to the Dragon Sea, specifically stating it is an older (Elven) name for the Moonsea (in Cormanthyr), so as usual, you were correct, Kuje.

I'll be giving it a seperate entry like this -

Dragon Sea (Moonsea) - Gray Box: Cyc of the Realms, Page 74.

So people will know it is an alterante name for that body of water, and should be cross-referenced thusly. We aren't doing Cormanthyr yet, but I'm sure we'll come across other references to it as well, warranting it's own seperate entry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Aug 2008 17:22:30
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  18:04:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, that works for me. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Semi-on topic.

I found another reference to the Dragon Sea, specifically stating it is an older (Elven) name for the Moonsea (in Cormanthyr), so as usual, you were correct, Kuje.

I'll be giving it a seperate entry like this -

Dragon Sea (Moonsea) - Gray Box: Cyc of the Realms, Page 74.

So people will know it is an alterante name for that body of water, and should be cross-referenced thusly. We aren't doing Cormanthyr yet, but I'm sure we'll come across other references to it as well, warranting it's own seperate entry.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  18:05:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. :) You, and a few others, are still working on it, so no worries.

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Still working on it. Hey, I'm on vacation, remember?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  19:29:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, after sitting down and going through Fillow's files I decided something.

Please don't alphabeticalize the entries. Keep them by page # as you find them because it's harder for me, when I put them in my master file, to go back and reread the entries if you alpha them.

So, for example, if you find a entry for Cormyr at the beginning of page 54 and then an entry for say the Inner Sea in the next paragraph on page 54, add the Inner Sea entry under the Cormyr one instead of alphabeticalizing the entries.

No worries for now Fillow, I didn't think to mention it earlier but it's taken me a hour or two searching for your entries, especially for the character entries because they go from page 54, to 61, back to 55, to 60, etc.

All in all though, I only found one mistake in his entries so far and expanded a few of them with info he missed. And I'll finish more of his entries in awhile, need a break from stareing at the moniter.

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Aug 2008 19:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  19:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said earlier, I worked with Excel. So I still can change whatever you want about these pages Kuje.
Do you want me to pick these data over and create nex Word files, using "first quote of the entry sorting" ?

I'm very sorry for your time spending.

Where did I make a mistake ?
I forgot entries from the text ?
Excuse-me Kuje. I may not to be a "fluent enough English language user".
I will understand if you do not want me to take part to this project anymore.
I'm sorry Kuje.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 31 Aug 2008 19:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  20:03:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, you're fine. :) I wasn't yelling at you, it was a general post to everyone. You don't have to resend the files, I've already fixed most of them.

One of the characters was mispelled as far as I saw, but I don't recall which character it was. And don't worry about your english, it is fine.

quote:

As I said earlier, I worked with Excel. So I still can change whatever you want about these pages Kuje.
Do you want me to pick these data over and create nex Word files, using "first quote of the entry sorting" ?

I'm very sorry for your time spending.

Where did I make a mistake ?
I forgot entries from the text ?
Excuse-me Kuje. I may not to be a "fluent enough English language user".
I will understand if you do not want me to take part to this project anymore.
I'm sorry Kuje.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  20:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot.
So, I'm ready for a new task Boss !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  20:14:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kay, well, let us finish the book we are working on and then I'll assign more. :)

quote:

Thanks a lot.
So, I'm ready for a new task Boss !

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  01:19:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't have time to tackle the few remaining pages I have left over the weekend. Fortunately, I've got some time to spare this week, so just give me a few more days.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  21:02:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've finished, finally, updating my master copy with Fillow's entries. Good job Fillow. You did fine, I only expanded the entries a bit and fixed some spelling mistakes, which weren't your fault because they were errors in the book itself.

I'll get started on the next one that I received the other day maybe later today or morrow.

Edit: Make that I finished what Ashe sent me but hey Ashe, you missed the all of the Moonshae section on page 65. :) No worries though, I rushed through it and grabbed the few entries that it contained. However, could you please send me a Scornubel file with the entries from the map on page 75? :) Thanks

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Sep 2008 23:42:58
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  13:28:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... Forgot to note the maps. I should have that to you in a few days (flying home from vacation today).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  17:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've finished, finally, updating my master copy with Fillow's entries. Good job Fillow. You did fine, I only expanded the entries a bit and fixed some spelling mistakes, which weren't your fault because they were errors in the book itself.

Thanks a lot Scott. It's very nice from you.

I'm still ready to work onto your project.
I'm one of yours (is it a correct way to say I will be part of those who will work with you ?)

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000