Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cancellation of Eberron and Discovery novel line
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  15:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Apparently, WotC have cancelled the Eberron and Discoveries novel lines. Pulling the plug on commissioned novels by many authors in the series.

I don't know much more on this. There's a bit of a snippet on Matt Forbeck's blog

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  15:36:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've also canceled Tracy Hickman's, except for the ones that have already been written, line of Tracy Hickman Presents line of novels for Dragonlance. As Sage pointed out to me the other day.

But, it seems that the last Lost Chronicles novel might actually be published after all, for those of us who care and were disappointed that it was canceled. However, that book was canceled because of a whole different reason.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jul 2008 15:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  15:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh! That 4.New.Coke is really doing wonders for their bottom line, ain't it?

Fortunately, Games Workshop supports Warhammer, whose old books I was perusing during the night. Hmmm ... hundreds of bucks for a few rules books and a lot of minis and paints, with novels and magazine articles and FREE web resources ... or ... thousands of dollars for new rule books to replace the thousands of dollars in rules books which I bought to replace the old rulebooks, which I had bought to .... Ah, screw it. Hasbro can masticate me. I'll spend my money with a publisher which appreciates my business and which takes care of its own people, too.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  15:55:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. The Lady K won't be happy. She's been quite the fan of the EBERRON novels.

And as Kuje said... the future proposed novels of the "Tracy Hickman Presents" line of DRAGONLANCE have now been cancelled too.

I also wonder what happened to those new RAVENLOFT novels we were supposed to be seeing this year as well. The first was to be published back in April as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Ravenloft novels were hit as well Sage. Matt mentions Ari Marmell by name and he was certainly writing one of the new Ravenloft novels.

Matt mentions that Paul Kemp's novel has been cancelled as well. As Paul only works (to my knowledge) on Realms novels, this news is ominous indeed.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:28:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Sounds like the Ravenloft novels were hit as well Sage. Matt mentions Ari Marmell by name and he was certainly writing one of the new Ravenloft novels.
Aye, he was... the first new RL novel to be published as I recall.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to new RL fiction, even if it was to be set in a new domain featuring an alternate Earth-based history.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jul 2008 16:29:29
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:40:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to point out, since I was looking around the net for info, that the Discovery line was a seperate line from any of the settings. Paul's novel has been canceled, he said so in his journal, as have other novels.

However, as I said in the upcoming novel thread, it seems Paul has a new trilogy for Erevis, so his FR material, at this time, isn't canceled.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. This is too bad.
For what it's worth, I, like Paul, have a contract to do another FR trilogy, and I haven't received any bad news on that score. So there's another little reason for optimism that FR fiction isn't going away.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  17:36:19  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Wow. This is too bad.
For what it's worth, I, like Paul, have a contract to do another FR trilogy, and I haven't received any bad news on that score. So there's another little reason for optimism that FR fiction isn't going away.

All,

As an FYI, I did not have a novel cancelled for Discoveries. I was simply noting in my blog that the line had been cancelled, not that I had been directly affected. I'm only under contract with WotC for FR related work. Quite a few other authors I know had their novels with Discoveries cancelled, and my sincere sympathy goes out to them. That's an awful thing to have happen. Here's hoping those books all find a new home soon.

I'd also point out that I've heard nothing about the Eberron line itself being cancelled. Some books -- perhaps all in one series, I don't know -- were cancelled, though (the authors indicated as much). And here again, sympathy for those affected authors. That's just a crappy thing.

Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 20 Jul 2008 19:05:16
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  17:46:12  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi:

Discoveries was a creator-owned line, similar to what TSR did back in the early 1990s with the TSR Books line. These books were unconnected to any game or specific game setting. It's not a huge surprise the line was killed. Over the years, WotC has talked about and then abandoned plans for a creator-owned fiction line repeatedly. It's too bad this time they bought and published some books, only to then kill the line out from under them.

Coupled with the shared-world cuts, it's more of a red flag for the health of all the book lines, but the cancellations of even some of the Eberron and other shared world books are, again, not a surprise. The company recently dropped a large number of older books--including Realms titles--out of print. Part of the whole 4E marketing plan seems to be to simplify the lines, so this all seems to play into that. Fewer books. Marketing focused on a few authors.

These cancellation announcements come in early July, the start of a new business quarter. For publicly traded companies like Hasbro, they often make these sorts of decisions right before or right after a reporting quarter. So not even the timing is a shock.

The only real surprise is that they are cutting several books for which they had paid advances and that were well underway, some completed in draft and so on. That's not a good sign at all.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 20 Jul 2008 17:51:19
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  22:03:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Problems with the Printers" ?

*sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, I must say i'm quite shocked (and indeed baffled) by this news. With 4e, I'd have expected WotC to promote their campaign settings all the more. It certainly gives cause for concern and makes one wonder the fate of Eberron if the novel line is indeed to be cancelled. I feel greatly for many authors in that line, such as Marcy Rockwell, Jeff LaSala and Paul Crilley, who have only just managed to get a deal with WotC and this being their big break into the world of fictional writing.

I'm glad (and again, not surprised) that FR novel series' are still standing strong. If news came of this plug being pulled then it could only spell the beginning of disasterous times. I strongly believe a novel line provides the backbone to a campaign setting. It's the novels which keep it alive (as with Dragonlance over the many years of RPG revival and cancellations).

Let's hope that all becomes a little clearer soon.

Thanks to Paul, Richard and James for popping in with their posts here too; it's always invaluable to hear what you know on such matters (and indeed put some of our worrying minds to rest )

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:40:49  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, ... wow. I had no idea. This is not cool on an epic scale. My sincere condolences to all the Eberron and Discoveries authors whose books won't see the light. Do we have any idea when the axings take effect? How much more of the announced schedules can we expect to see?

I didn't really follow the Eberron line, but the couple of books I did read out of it were ripping yarns, and it was the proving ground for a lot of new talent. It shall be missed.

Discoveries was a truly golden opportunity, a potentially great thing: WotC bringing their considerable publishing muscle to bear on new, creator-owned sci-fi and fantasy of all different stripes, much of it reportedly very good. What with WotC's power to move books, I think this could have been a great new publishing house for spec fic as a whole. I wonder how much more of the line up we'll see.

And yet, whilst I've got no experience in the industry as Mr. Lowder does, even from my spectator's position there's a part of me that's not in the least surprised. Discoveries was a great idea, but during its short life WotC didn't seem that committed to it. Perhaps this is what happens when you try to create an imprint independent of your shared world material, make it a website which you then update a grand total of once, and plaster the top nine tenths of said page with nothing but links to your regular gaming material. Perhaps promoting your new imprint online might take the shape of something more than a single solitary press release and a number of author interviews I could count on the fingers of one hand. Black Library started up their own imprint of this type a year ago, Solaris, [Ed's doing his Falconfar Saga for them], -- and they don't have this problem going on. They've got their own website, which gets updated with scads and scads of relevant material, and they maintain a blog linking to reviews and such relating to their titles. Ah, Discoveries, you lived too short a time. This really is very sad, and bodes ill for the future.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be just me, but it seems as if they (WotC) are banking a lot on the 4e Realms being a success, and that the even if the readers of the Realms novels do not like the 4e setting for the Realms, that they will continue to read (at least certain authors) in new Realms novels.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the news, everyone. It's food for thought.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  15:03:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
It certainly gives cause for concern and makes one wonder the fate of Eberron if the novel line is indeed to be cancelled.

Marcy has siad she was assured that the Eberron novel line is not being cancleed, just certain books that were scheduled (including hers). The latest casualy is FR alumnus, Edward Bolme, whose entire trilogy was axed.

quote:
I feel greatly for many authors in that line, such as Marcy Rockwell, Jeff LaSala and Paul Crilley, who have only just managed to get a deal with WotC and this being their big break into the world of fictional writing.

I am with you here. It is a great shame. I feel bad as the authors have clearly put in alot of time and creative energy on these books, only to have them cancelled. As a fan, I am disappointed because the books were canceled and I won't get to read them, but I am even more disappointed for the authors, whose work is now lost. They cannot get back the time they spent working on these novels (several of whcih were completed in first draft).

Oh and I should mention that as far as we know Paul Crilley's trilogy has not been cancelled (at least not that he knows). Also I don't think Ari's Ravenloft novel got cancelled. Just his novel from the Discoveries line (but I could be wrong on this)

quote:
I'm glad (and again, not surprised) that FR novel series' are still standing strong.

I too am glad of this. I have really enjoyed the novels recent novels and while I have been a fan for a long time, lately I have been an even bigger fan of the setting.

quote:
I strongly believe a novel line provides the backbone to a campaign setting.

I agree and that's what makes these cancellations so puzzling. With only 3 RPG products for each camplaign setting, the novels will be more important than ever to help introduce new fans to the settings. So why cancel novels by some of the lines' brightest young writers?

quote:
Let's hope that all becomes a little clearer soon.

Well that would be nice, but doubtful. Very few of the novels axed had been officially announced yet. I learned about most of them from amazon.com, but WOTC had not added them to their schedule or advertised them in any of their other novels. So I wouldn't expect any kind of announcement of their cancelation. As far as I know, the Tracy Hickman Presents series was the only on-going series to get axed. The rest had not begun.

Edited by - DragonReader on 21 Jul 2008 15:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  17:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

I agree and that's what makes these cancellations so puzzling. With only 3 RPG products for each camplaign setting, the novels will be more important than ever to help introduce new fans to the settings. So why cancel novels by some of the lines' brightest young writers?

I actually have mixed feelings about this, at least with regards to the Realms novels, which are canon. One thing I've heard over and over again, from WotC and those who have defended the company, is that one reason the Realms has undergone so many changes and moved ahead 100 years is because the amount of lore accumulated by the setting was simply too much for newer players/fans of the setting to keep up with (not saying I agree with that, I'm just reporting what I've heard). There's no denying that novels, in addition to sourcebooks, are a major source of such lore (that has been deemed by WotC to be "burdensome"), so if it really is true that WotC is trying to simplify it's novel lines as well as it's gaming product lines, I can't say I'm too surprised.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Jul 2008 17:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rin, maybe I'm not up on all the news, but I haven't heard of any FR novels getting the axe.
I think the basic idea of jumping ahead a century is that a fresh start will encourage new customers to give the setting a try. But enticing new customers is pointless if you don't create product to sell to them. So the novels are likely to continue as long as they're profitable.
And you're absolutely right, eventually, if the franchise endures, all of us who work on it will create a quantity of lore comparable to what exists for the Realms of the 1300s. But that problem (assuming that one considers it a problem) won't arise for decades, and when it finally happens, I guess WotC can always usher in the 1500s.
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  18:31:11  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the basic idea of jumping ahead a century is that a fresh start will encourage new customers to give the setting a try.

The experience of Dragonlance Fifth Age suggests another possibility--failing to bring in a large new audience while giving the old audience a good excuse to stop buying/collecting the books.

Perhaps it will work better with the Realms this time, but this is most certainly a perilous path they've headed down.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 21 Jul 2008 18:34:20
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  19:08:20  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I actually have mixed feelings about this, at least with regards to the Realms novels, which are canon. One thing I've heard over and over again, from WotC and those who have defended the company, is that one reason the Realms has undergone so many changes and moved ahead 100 years is because the amount of lore accumulated by the setting was simply too much for newer players/fans of the setting to keep up with (not saying I agree with that, I'm just reporting what I've heard). There's no denying that novels, in addition to sourcebooks, are a major source of such lore (that has been deemed by WotC to be "burdensome"), so if it really is true that WotC is trying to simplify it's novel lines as well as it's gaming product lines, I can't say I'm too surprised.

As RLB pointed out, so far no FR novels have been axed.

And I am not sure the argument of too much lore holds for Eberron, which has not been in existance that long. Don't forget they are not advancing the timeline or having spellplague like event to move Eberron to 4E.

I think the point I was trying to make is that it seems strange to me at a time whan they will no longer be publishing sourcebooks other than the campaign guide and a players guide, that they wouldn't want to support the setting with a strong novel line.

Plus, when you think about it, 2009 is the year the Eberron campaign setting is set to come out and all the novels for the first quarter have been cancelled. Not a very good way to drum up excitement for the ECS if you ask me. Unless they move something up, or announce something new, there will be a grand total of 1 new novel released before the release of the ECS (assuming ECS comes out in August).

Edited by - DragonReader on 21 Jul 2008 19:09:05
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  19:10:41  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should clarify one thing. I am not trying to bash WOTC. They may have a very good reason for the cancellations. I am only saying I don't understand it and as a fan of Eberron, it worries me.

The good news is, FR seems to have more novels than ever on the schedule so we still have lots to look forward to.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  20:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim: I didn't take a position on whether or not I think the fresh start will work. I was just saying what I think the idea behind it is.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  20:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I am not sure the argument of too much lore holds for Eberron, which has not been in existance that long. Don't forget they are not advancing the timeline or having spellplague like event to move Eberron to 4E.

I wasn't really talking about Eberron.

Just throwing out an observation of mine. I appreciate the responses.

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  20:54:32  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim: I didn't take a position on whether or not I think the fresh start will work. I was just saying what I think the idea behind it is.

Ah, sorry. My mistake. I read your post too quickly.

I agree with you--the thinking seems to be that the relaunch will make the line more accessible and also make it easier for authors and editors to wrangle the material.

It may work. It may not. Accessibility is certainly an issue that needs to be considered, but the whole DL Fifth Age experience suggests a hard relaunch might create more problems than it solves.

Cheers,
Jim

Edited by - JamesLowder on 21 Jul 2008 20:54:57
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  21:27:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

The experience of Dragonlance Fifth Age suggests another possibility--failing to bring in a large new audience while giving the old audience a good excuse to stop buying/collecting the books.

Perhaps it will work better with the Realms this time, but this is most certainly a perilous path they've headed down.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

I applaud your courage in saying this. That has been my fear since the trek down that path was announced.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  23:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I expressed my sympathies and solidarity on my blog, but I'll reiterate here. My thoughts are with everyone who lost basically a loved one in this move, whatever its causes. Nothing really makes it easier, but we're here for you guys, and I for one know that you'll bounce back. I believe in you!

As for whether the Realms will suffer the fate of Dragonlance 5th Age . . . I agree with Jim and RLB--we'll see. I hold out confidence that the settings are dissimilar enough in both lore and in conception that it will work even changed. IMO Dragonlance may have dealt with a variety of stories, but they were all related in that they connected back to the main core story in one way or another. Initially (and even up to current-times), the novels mostly focused on helping us understand more about the original adventures that defined and shaped the world, and when the novels were no longer about those characters, something fell by the wayside.

With the Realms, that isn't the case. This setting and its novel series are based on wide variety--we don't have a narrow focus on a band of PCs written into the canon, but only provide the breathing backdrop for the PCs in an individual game.

Though I know many people fear it may prove otherwise, IMO the Realms do NOT stop being the Realms in 4e, based on what I've read. It's still the great, diverse, magical realm it's always been.

But I guess we'll see what we will see--and I'll keep writing so long as they let me!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  00:54:11  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Par for the course. Our money isn't good enough for Hasbro, or so it seems.

Also, if they have intentions of axing the FR novel line, they wouldn't announce it before the FRCS 4e is on the shelves, for fear of hurting its sales. So we'll have to wait until after August to see their true intentions for FR novels.

Edited by - RodOdom on 22 Jul 2008 01:13:11
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  01:40:58  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don;t think they have any plans to ax the FR novel line. That would make zero sense. It appears they are trying to refocus the other lines. My guess is FR will not be effected by any of this.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
With the Realms, that isn't the case. This setting and its novel series are based on wide variety--we don't have a narrow focus on a band of PCs written into the canon, but only provide the breathing backdrop for the PCs in an individual game.
To you, wide variety is the Realms' basis; to me it's the setting's unique nature and detailed continuity. To others it's the ongoing timeline, or iconic characters and places, or a specific gaming experience, and so on. It's essential that we respect that multiplicity in each other, and not project our own affinities onto everyone else.
quote:
Though I know many people fear it may prove otherwise, IMO the Realms do NOT stop being the Realms in 4e, based on what I've read.
Whether it's the Realms to any of us depends exactly on what aspects of the Realms we value. It certainly isn't the Realms just because Wizards says so; neither can we assume that it's not, even though we've been told fundamental things will change.

For me, much fell by the wayside when dozens of characters I wanted to read about died of old age; when the magical milieu I was exploring was replaced; when world started serving mechanics; and on and on.
quote:
But I guess we'll see what we will see--and I'll keep writing so long as they let me!
We will, and I wish you well in it.
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:20:54  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's quite unlikely WotC or Hasbro would simply end the Realms line. They may continue to change directions, but the book line itself is the strongest WotC has. Even if the company dissolved the book division, there would be a couple of NY houses that would jump at the chance to publish Drizzt and other Realms novels as a license.

And Erik makes an excellent point about the differences between the Realms fiction line and the Dragonlance line. It's always been rather difficult to move the DL line away from that core storyline and characters, where the Realms thrives on diversity. So it's built in such a way as to be more likely to absorb changes in direction.

That still leaves open the question of whether radical changes in direction will bring in new readers, or alienate the old ones--particularly if the changes in direction sacrifice the things that define the Realms for the current readership. But it would indeed be a mistake to draw too strong a parallel between the Realms and Dragonlance as series.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 22 Jul 2008 02:29:02
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  02:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It's essential that we respect that multiplicity in each other, and not project our own affinities onto everyone else.

Agreed, and I did nothing of the sort--at least not intentionally. Your vehement disagreement sounded quite sharp, so I'll explain what I meant in the first place.

I didn't mean to imply that "wide variety is the Realms' basis," only that the basic Realms concept ALLOWS for wide variety in a way that Dragonlance--being a more ideosyncratic setting focused mostly on one party of heroes (PCs in the original designers' games) and the repercussions of their actions or the stories surrounding their exploits and backstories--does not.

IMO, the Realms novel line (and the setting in general) isn't built the same way conceptually. Rather, Ed built it (and it has developed) in such a way as to *allow* for nigh-endless variety in story structure and focus, all within a coherent, continuous setting with a set of common rules and lore (lots of that). Where DL would run into problems adapting, the Realms is a much more fluid setting.

All that, IMO.

And I wasn't advancing any particular expectation of how people will (or should) react to the 4e Realms--just saying that for me, based on what I've read thus far, it's still quite definitely the Realms. (I did note that with "in my opinion" [IMO]--not something like "in your opinion" [IYO].)

You (the general you) are always responsible for your own choices, including whether you like the setting or not--a choice that you make, to some extent every day, or at least every time a new bit of lore comes out. There's nothing *I* can say that will determine what anyone else thinks.

I just thought I'd offer my own note that, IMO, the Realms is continuing to do exactly what I was talking about.

And this is all very off-topic, so I'll stop there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000