Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 No more Realms fiction before the Spellplague?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  00:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's compare the current Realms novels approach, tying all the fiction to a single advancing 'present' -- if indeed that's it, since the book editors themselves haven't commented -- with the handling of other shared worlds, such as the multiple parallel eras of the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Aug 2008 04:01:40

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why the chosen headline, Faraer? Was there some pronunciamento from Hasbro about this? If so, that clanging sound you'll soon hear will be my wallet slamming shut, never to open aagain for any of Hasbro's "Realms" books after Paul Kemp's next Erevis Cale novel.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:14:59  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure we'll never see fiction happening before the Spellplague, after all WoTC published KoMT triology.

Some flashbacks or short stories are quite possible IMHO.

Edited by - Skeptic on 04 Aug 2008 02:16:29
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  02:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flashbacks and short stories are both possible, yes, I agree.
However, I believe someone heard a Wizards employee at a recent convention say that Ed and Bob were the only likely exceptions to the "new fiction all in the new-era Realms" rule.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  04:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Why the chosen headline, Faraer? Was there some pronunciamento from Hasbro about this?
For the benefit of the viewer, until this post, the subject of this thread was 'No more Realms fiction before the Spellplague'. I just added the question mark to avoid this confusion: there's been no definite announcement, just a few comments that make it seem likely.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Aug 2008 05:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  05:05:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering WotC's track record for Realms fiction, I don't expect to see much more that's set pre-Sellplague.

And as much as I hate the Sellplague, I agree with that decision. As I've stated more than once, I've long felt that a failing of the Dragginglance setting was the fact that if Weis & Hickman weren't doing the War of the Lance or its spinoffs, nothing ever happened in the setting. It stagnated. Rather than explore new tales and new lands, they kept going sideways (into the pasts of the Companions) or backwards, to various points in the past that may or may not have any bearing on the present.

I disagree with every aspect of the Sellplague, but I want to see the setting keep moving forward (assuming I continue to follow it). The occasional side-trip into the past is welcome, but I think those should remain both occasional and side-trips.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps if WotC had introduced the spellplague in a series of novels (like they do every other month with much smaller RSEs) people might be more inclined to accept it, or at least give it a chance. I think they missed a trick there.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  17:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen any specific statement from WotC saying they'd never do any novels set in the past, but I'm not holding my breath for them. From a business standpoint, I can understand why pre-Spellplague novels would be rare (if they get written at all!), but as a Realms fan, it does sadden me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Aug 2008 17:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  18:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I seem to remember Rich saying on the WotC forums that books would at least primarily be set post-Spellplague...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  20:15:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

And I seem to remember Rich saying on the WotC forums that books would at least primarily be set post-Spellplague...

As do I. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  16:46:01  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really hoping for some ancient history books, about the Crown Wars, beholders running Calimsham, or when dragons and giants ruled the world.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  17:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I was really hoping for some ancient history books, about the Crown Wars, beholders running Calimsham, or when dragons and giants ruled the world.
You're not the only one, and depending sales of various books, we may yet get them (but I am not holding my breath; lately WotC has shown itself to have taken Ability Drain to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma).

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  19:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I suppose a book on the return of Bane is out of the question then?!

::ducks::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  20:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I suppose a book on the return of Bane is out of the question then?!

::ducks::
That event confused the hell out me when I first picked up the 3e FRCG. The last I knew (novel-wise) is that he was dead. And all of a sudden, boom! He's baaaack!

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just finishing up the end of "The Threat From the Sea" quartet (trilogy plus anthology), and I find that there is still a vast range of Realms history and extant Realms fiction to keep me going for a long, long time. That said, I iterate: after Paul Kemp's next Erevis Cale book and (possibly) the first aboleth book (what's it called?), I will not be buying any new Realms fiction. I've had so many questions about aboleths crash against Otiluke's Impenetrable NDA Screen that I do want to see if that series is worth the years of frustration which I've endured trying to find out more about the blasted things; if it doesn't catch my fancy vis-a-vis aboleth history and physiology, though, *pop* back on the shelf it goes.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000