Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Thoughts on Adon's Fate *CTTOCTM Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILER!!!

I feel this situation was unresolved way back when. Is Adon Faithless or False?

Though Cyric "made" him renounce his faith just as Kelemvor was getting it together as Lord of Death, they didn't quite come out and say whether he would go a-wanderin' or go to the wall.

Any theories?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read the novel yet (yes yes, I will someday), but my opinion is that a forced conversion or forced renunciation doesn't count for anything. It's only in effect until the threat in question is lifted.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the information in the FR Wiki, he is neither false not faithless, but accepted by his goddess. Not that this matters any more, since there was a little ... disturbance ... on his homeplane lately ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  03:21:41  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER!!!!

If I recall correctly at the final trial: Adon looked through Kelemvor's eyes to see Mystra(Midnight) as he sees here and it kind of reversed his madness. It was caused by seeing Mystra through Cyric's eyes earlier in the book. After seeing Mystra through Kelemvor's eyes he was cured and she accepted him as one of her faithful.

pg. 361 from Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad:
quote:
Adon whirled around to face Mystra, then fell to his kness in Kelemvor's hand.
"Goddess! Forgive me, I pray you!"
"I never blamed you," Mystra replied. "Only Cyric."
Kelemvor passed the patriarch to his goddess. "Adon is yours by rights. Do with him what you will."

....skipping some text.....

pg. 362 from Crucible:
quote:
Mystra held her fingers above Adon's head and let a shimmering rain of magic sprinkle down upon his shoulders. The patriarch faded from sight, gone to await his goddess in her palace Dweomerheart.

(My book where these quotes are taken is the first paperback edition from February 1998, chapter 49)

So yes, it was resolved....Adon is one of Mystra's faithful and resides in Dweomerheart. I had an advantage because I just read this book a short while ago, lol.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Edited by - hawkytom on 14 Aug 2008 03:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, well done Hawkytom. I tip my proverbial hat.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  07:00:49  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, did Adon become a solar or a footstool for Mystra?
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  15:07:24  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Wow, well done Hawkytom. I tip my proverbial hat.

Thanks, my pleasure :)

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  16:38:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Now, did Adon become a solar or a footstool for Mystra?

Both.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  20:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is, sadly, now only history, since Adon got murdered by Cyric ...

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  21:25:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Which is, sadly, now only history, since Adon got murdered by Cyric ...

Cyric seems to be too powerful if ya ask me!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  20:33:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean Cyric killed Adon and Mystra? that's not what happened in my Realms! :P
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  01:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nor in mine.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he means 4e
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  16:00:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I think they mean "What's 4E?"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4E, I believe, is a place where great gods go to die, it seems.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000