Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Encyclopedia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elrond Ancalimon
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  04:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Ancalimon's Homepage Send Elrond Ancalimon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know this kinda wishful thinking, but I've started a petion asking WotC to restart production on the Forgotten Realms Encyclopedia.

Please support this petion

More Information: www.gopetition.comonline20003
To sign: www.gopetition.comonline20003

(sorry, hyperlink button doesn't work, there are slashes between com & online and online & 20003)

"A paladin's duty is not to destroy what is evil, but to bring it into the light and redeem it from that evil" - Elrond Ancalimon

Edited by - Elrond Ancalimon on 26 Jun 2008 06:17:45

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  04:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to look at the responses to my poll question re: Would you buy a Realms Geographic magazine?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all due respect, online petitions tend to be ineffectual, especially in an age of programs that can generate random signatures.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it were a petition at a GenCon, maybe that would work better??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:16:22  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supported by me...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:22:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

If it were a petition at a GenCon, maybe that would work better??

I doubt it. Long before my banning from their forums, I was told by a WotC employee that they had their own ways of deciding what people wanted, and that direct input from the fans was not something they were interested in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I doubt it. Long before my banning from their forums, I was told by a WotC employee that they had their own ways of deciding what people wanted, and that direct input from the fans was not something they were interested in.
This concept still befuddles me. Though it explains a lot of what has happened in the past year or so.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:57:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's really nothing that complex about that particular stance by WotC. Apparently, they have a model and method that works well for them, and it's largely what they use when they want to know what their consumers want from them. Nothing more.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  05:47:39  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I re listen the interview with Chris Perkins about the realms last night and i noticed a very important answer he gave concerning this. When asked what WotC will do with all the notes they have from Ed Greenwood concerning the realms, he mentioned that they might incorporate them in a future encyclopedia they might create. Anybody noticed that passage?

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  05:53:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. But that's come up time and again when the subject of an FR encyclopedia has been discussed in the past. We've yet to see anything happen.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  14:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Talking about an encyclopedia is one thing, actually writing it is quite another.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  15:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That, and they would probably make it online and part of the DDi to try and net Realms fans into paying for it.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 26 Jun 2008 15:58:56
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  02:14:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Given the problems that WotC is having supporting the messageboards, as well as the seeming stagnation with the DDI stuff, I wouldn't expect to see an official Forgotten Realms encyclopedia online for a while, if ever.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  06:58:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Aye. But that's come up time and again when the subject of an FR encyclopedia has been discussed in the past. We've yet to see anything happen.

Wishful thinking really! As much as I'd love to see such a tome I doubt that we will ever see it come to fruition.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI doubt it. Long before my banning from their forums

Might I asked why'd you get banned?

As for the question. Meh. Internet sigs don't really work. Hell, even live sigs wouldn't work. Enough practice, and anyone can make thousands of them that look different.

Personally, I use candlekeep and the Forgotten Realms Wiki for my knowledge.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  20:02:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertI doubt it. Long before my banning from their forums

Might I asked why'd you get banned?

I get asked that oft enough that I have simply saved the link to where I last told the tale of my banning.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  20:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I see. Well, I do agree on many things. I still post at Wizards, but its filled mostly with
4th Edition RULES!
and
4th Edition SUCKS!

Meh. I've been hearing of this place, and joined, but hadn't really read much. But I like this place, even though alot I read deals with 2nd edition, of which I haven't played ever.

But I love reading about Forgotten Realms, so here I am!

Also: Drittz movie. ... It might be done, but it depends on so many factors. So while possible, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being done greatly.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Wishful thinking really! As much as I'd love to see such a tome I doubt that we will ever see it come to fruition.
That, and any Encyclopedia made from this point on would have the atrocious changes that they have implemented in the 4e Realms.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  23:00:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was some sort of project planned 'eventually' for the DDi, but since the two things that are supposed to be already available are apparently vaporware (the game-table and the rulespedia), and have been given the the official listing as "available sometime down the road" (their words, NOT mine!), that means the projects that were already relegated to the 'back burner' have been pushed completely off the table as of now.

As Dagnirion has pointed out, the DDi is nothing at all what they promised it was going to be, and they can't even keep their website running right at this point.

Remember Dragon magazine? We were supposed to see a printable online version of that.

We saw ONE formatted that way... and a never-ending stream of 4e advertisements disguised as articles ever since. Its been almost a year since they cancelled it, and I've yet to see anything resembling the old mag appear anywhere on the radar.

Empty promises... its what big corporations are good at.

I don't expect ANY Realmslore articles to appear on the DDi, and if they do, it will only be for the year that FR is the 'premier setting'. After that, Eberron will get all the love... for another year...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2008 23:02:17
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  23:43:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Heh. I see. Well, I do agree on many things. I still post at Wizards, but its filled mostly with
4th Edition RULES!
and
4th Edition SUCKS!

-I'd like to see the Forgotten Realms section you are looking at...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  23:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And we've left the topic behind, I think... Let's find the way back, okay?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:41:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't expect ANY Realmslore articles to appear on the DDi, and if they do, it will only be for the year that FR is the 'premier setting'. After that, Eberron will get all the love... for another year...
I'm not so sure about that. As I recall, Ed did say that some of his material, like the further updates for the "Border Kingdoms" series, may be included for FR as part of DDi.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm not so sure about that. As I recall, Ed did say that some of his material, like the further updates for the "Border Kingdoms" series, may be included for FR as part of DDi.
I saw and interview with Ed where he stated that the Border Kingdoms would stay free content. I think it was one the Tome Show but I do not have time to listen to it right now and confirm it. Though, even if WotC did tell Ed that the Border Kingdoms would remain free content, that does not mean that they will not renege on it.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  01:15:27  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an interesting idea...and a great deal of work...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000