Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Spellplague? What?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sophelios
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  00:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Sophelios's Homepage Send Sophelios a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so the last FR book I read was The Two Swords, and so when I picked up The Orc King today and started reading, It took me quite some time to figure out that it was set one-hundred years later. So can anyone tell me which books to read to figure out what happened. No spoilers please.

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  09:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw on another website that the reading order to read these Drizzt novels was this one :

- The Two Swords (The Hunter's Blades Trilogy 3)
- Comrades at Odds (Realms of the Elves III)
- Promise of the Witch King (The Sellswords 2)
- Road of the Patriarch (The Sellswords 3)
- The Orc King (Transitions 1)
- The Pirate King (Transitions 2)
- The Ghost King (Transitions 3)

Of course, they all were written by R.A. SALVATORE !
But I did not read those. I cannot tell you more about it.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  10:03:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all - a warm and friendly Welcome to the Keep, Sophelios!

To start off I will comment on the answer by my frensh fellow Fillow:

Only the short story 'Comrades at Odds' in the 'Realms of Elves' Anthology (which deals more or less with some minor plots from the Hunters Blade Trilogy and provoides only little info for the grand picture) and the Orc King are about Drizzt Do'Urden and the events in the North.

The Sellswords Trilogy covers a story about the darkelf Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri and is located mainly in Damara and Vaasa. It has nothing to do with Drizzt, the North or the events that take place during the last book of the Hunters Blade Trilogy and the Orc King novel.

To be frank: there are no books that cover that 100 and something years!!!

WotC (Wizard of the Coast) has decided to make a 100-year-time-jump in the Realms to retcon/implement the changes for the upcomming 4th Ed. rules.... A fact that is widely discussed and argued on these boards. I cannot give you all the details about this time. If you look around in various other threads here, you will eventually grasp what all this is about...

Anyhow, the last official book for 3rd Ed. was the 'Grand History of the Realms', a sourcebook/chronology by Brian R. James, which covers all the important events up until 1385 DR which lead to the 'Spellplague'. After the Grant History there is nothing but the void! No sourcebooks (as of today), no novels, only D&D Inside articles (online) with some minor info...

Hope that helps a bit.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Jun 2008 10:10:36
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  10:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erg'
And indeed : Welcome to Candlekeep Sophelios.
Your name sounds Greek ! Doesn't it ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  13:43:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's very little info about the Sellplague available, and it's been stated already that they're not really going to cover it too much with novels. Most of the info -- which has upset many of us -- comes from three Countdown to the Realms articles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080111a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080130a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a

Oh, and welcome to Candlekeep!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jun 2008 13:46:49
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  14:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, the Spellplague figures in my novel Undead (Book 2 in the trilogy that began with Unclean.) So if anyone wants to see the cataclysm happen, that's a place to look.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  14:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Actually, the Spellplague figures in my novel Undead (Book 2 in the trilogy that began with Unclean.) So if anyone wants to see the cataclysm happen, that's a place to look.

Shameless plug ... ... but, indeed, that sounds interesting. I am tempted to acquire these books to watch the end of the FR.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  23:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sophelios

Ok, so the last FR book I read was The Two Swords, and so when I picked up The Orc King today and started reading, It took me quite some time to figure out that it was set one-hundred years later. So can anyone tell me which books to read to figure out what happened. No spoilers please.

Only the prologue and epilogue are set 100 years in the future. The main part of the novel is set at the current time (probably around 1372 DR).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Jun 2008 23:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  23:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I saw on another website that the reading order to read these Drizzt novels was this one :

- The Two Swords (The Hunter's Blades Trilogy 3)
- Comrades at Odds (Realms of the Elves III)
- Promise of the Witch King (The Sellswords 2)
- Road of the Patriarch (The Sellswords 3)
- The Orc King (Transitions 1)
- The Ghost King (Transitions 3)

Of course, they all were written by R.A. SALVATORE !
But I did not read those. I cannot tell you more about it.

I would like to point out that the last two books on that list have not been released yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  00:35:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Accent mine...

Are you referring to FR, or.......

Sorry, couldn't resist. I do plan on picking up the books once the trilogy is complete (I have learned to never start a series that hasn't already come to a conclusion).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  00:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sophelios

Please forgive my cynicism, Acolyte Sophelios, but the bald facts of the matter are these: if your involvement with the Forgotten Realms is through its fiction, heed the other scholars here to keep your reading chronological and enjoyable; if your involvement with the Forgotten Realms is primarily through role-playing, the Spellplague and 100 year jump means that Wizards of the Coast has cheated you of every cent which you have already spent on the game books which they published up to the end of 2007 without telling you that you were about to waste your money.

As for Mr. Byers, he is a fine novelist, and one of the chief reasons that I began reading Realms fiction, having become captivated by the first Realms novel of his which I chanced to read. I hope that he will not think ill of me if I tell you that he, like many other "Realms writers" has written for other game worlds, too. My local library has at least three of his books for White Wolf's World of Darkness, including at least one work each for Vampire: the Requiem, Wraith: the Oblivion, and Werewolf: the Somethingorother. It is thus possible to read and enjoy his fiction without feeling that someone from Hasbro has plunged a knife into your back while you were reading and is slowly twisting it with one hand while simultaneously picking your pocket with the other.

I sincerely hope that after Mr. Byers has finished his contractual obligations with Wizards of the Coast, he will concentrate on writing for some other fantasy world, one which is not likely to be completely destroyed because someone at Hasbro feels the need for a new Porsche. I have been given to believe that Oz is safe; one of my players collects Oz novels, and I would happily join him if Mr. Byers were to write about Good and Wicked Witches, Munchkins, Tick Tock people, and the like. What's the worst that the Baum Estate is likely to do to Oz? License a musical to which I cannot obtain tickets? That I can live with. What I will not endure, however, is being cheated, bamboozled, defrauded and swindled by avaricious corporate hyenas who ensnare people with fascinating novels and then sell them thousands of dollars in game books and accessories, only to announce every five years that -- "Oh oh. Hot dog!" -- everything they have bought to date is now obsolete, and that a player who has a new expensive book is "more correct" than a DM using an older book.

What I shall not do, however, is wallow in self-pity, because I know that I have a lovely collection of novels and short stories, most of which fit very nicely into TSR's Forgotten Realms, and I may buy TSR books and accessories on eBay and at Amazon without a single cent of my money going to Hasbro. Pfft! The only D&D adventure ever to take PCs to character level 100 was published by TSR, is Realms-based, is out of print, and I am confident that if I buy a copy of it, I can keep my players occupied with a multi-planar adventure for many years, and have the pleasure of knowing each week that not a cent of my money is ever again going to Hasbro.

And that is how I really feel.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  06:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

I do plan on picking up the books once the trilogy is complete (I have learned to never start a series that hasn't already come to a conclusion).

Now if only I could show such fortitude in waiting!

I will say that, as much as I dislike the way the whole spellplague/etc is being done, I have thoroughly enjoyed both Unclean and Undead. I highly recommend them, and expect very good things from the third book.

quote:

At the risk of perhaps going too off topic, this just makes me think of one thing...

"Foooooooor I am a Pirate King! And it is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King!"

Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Icewind Dale, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  14:27:54  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it released already? Can't wait tho'
Grrrr...how come I don't see any new novels in Philly National Bookstore ryt now.

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 25 Oct 2008 14:31:49
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  14:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. both Unclean and Undead have been released. Unholy, the third book in the trilogy, comes out in February, 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  15:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erm...doesn't the Orc King merely preface the 100 year jump in the first chapter and then return to pre-Spellplague Faerun thereafter...?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  17:03:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Accent mine...

Are you referring to FR, or.......

Sorry, couldn't resist. I do plan on picking up the books once the trilogy is complete (I have learned to never start a series that hasn't already come to a conclusion).

Highly recommend this trilogy. many do not agree with the changes and the spellplague in general, but Richard's portrayal of this event is excellent.

I can never wait to pick them up as they are released. However, I go back and read through the first 2 just prior to scheduled releases of the final book of a trilogy. I am doing that now with Kemp's books. I always surprise myself with bits of information I had either forgotten or glossed over the first read through
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Erm...doesn't the Orc King merely preface the 100 year jump in the first chapter and then return to pre-Spellplague Faerun thereafter...?

Indeed, only th epreface takes palce in the post-Spellplague Realms.
The part I of the novel begins in the Year of Wild Magic.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000