Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Drizzt in BG2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone ever killed Drizzt out right in Balders Gate 2?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

Has anyone ever killed Drizzt out right in Balders Gate 2?

I tried and I died, so I let them take the stuff and then used the built-in cheat to get his stuff back.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  18:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never tried to kill Drizzt in BG2, because no character that I've run through that game would have been inclined to do such a thing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  20:21:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  05:39:23  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't killed Drizzt in BG2 either. However, when you use the Gate Keeper program to get his stuff, you essentially are not allowed to keep it. The Companions will confront you and get the stuff back. If most of your characters have his equipment, a wizard will then confront you and take the items all over again. If the wizard has to come a second time, you die by the wizard's hand. It blows, but its not worth having Drizzt's equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  12:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried and died, so I accepted his help, went to Bohdi's place and cloudkilled him to death

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  15:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did and succeeded but had to try again and again a few times (re-loading my save) because it is NOT easy.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  15:36:28  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh...
Name your main character "Drizzt" the next time you play. I'm sure he will appreciate it, when you meet Drizzt and Friends(TM).
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  15:53:23  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aewrik

Heh...
Name your main character "Drizzt" the next time you play. I'm sure he will appreciate it, when you meet Drizzt and Friends(TM).

Oh yeah?? What happens if you do that??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  16:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nothing special... Drizzt will just be talking to himself

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  17:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if your repute is low enough, drizzt challenges you for the right of his name. And Mr aravine, are you sure you lost to drizzt? Their party is so weak that i didn't even had anyone in serious injury. I'm not bragging or anything but the companions ARE weak
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  17:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

I haven't killed Drizzt in BG2 either. However, when you use the Gate Keeper program to get his stuff, you essentially are not allowed to keep it. The Companions will confront you and get the stuff back. If most of your characters have his equipment, a wizard will then confront you and take the items all over again. If the wizard has to come a second time, you die by the wizard's hand. It blows, but its not worth having Drizzt's equipment.

I seem to remember just loading his equipment again after giving it to the wizard, but that was a long time ago, so my memory of it may be faulty.

quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

if your repute is low enough, drizzt challenges you for the right of his name. And Mr aravine, are you sure you lost to drizzt? Their party is so weak that i didn't even had anyone in serious injury. I'm not bragging or anything but the companions ARE weak

You are the only person I know who has played BG2 that said it was easy.

On another note, I was going to play through the entire BG series, using BG Tutu so I could play the classes from BG2 in BG1, but then my hard drive (I had 2) that had the game on it died. On my working hard drive I have just enough space for Windows, Office, and WoW.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  20:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never had any real desire for Drizzt's equipment. In the BG series, your PC can get his/her OWN equipment, much of which is better than anything you'll find on Drizzt. In a roleplaying sense, I'd rather have my own special stuff than Drizzt's stuff (and even "stuff" doesn't matter that much to me anyway).

Having Drizzt help you against Bodhi is way more useful than having his equipment in that fight. However, anything Drizzt kills means that's XP your party will NOT get (and Bohdi is worth quite a lot of XP).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  20:15:48  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't killed him and his posse, but they didn't much help in the graveyard district...
Then again, wizards are a little too... how should I put this: "imbalol"
Especially when you gain experience from reading scrolls. "Hello, 9th level spell" *ka-ching* "9000xp, here you go".

Drizzt's appearance in BG1 is priceless, though... [from the journal] "Drizzt was quite the pleasant fellow, though I should probably think otherwise if I were ever on the wrong side of his blades."
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  01:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt and friends are as ez as any other meat in the game. Karzak smash.

Or at least the mages smash. If you've done all the content including Watcher's Keep, by the time you exit the Underdark you should be high-level enough to have level-9 spells. Time stop, spam horrid wilting, top off with death spell, and finish off whatever's left standing. Also, use a mod to remove Malchor Harpell and you can keep the loot to sell if you like, because it's crappy compared to what you should have by that point anyway.

...and even if you don't have level-9 spells, I still don't see how Drizzt and the rest could present any trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  12:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also the game was at one time supposed to have Artemis Entreri helping Bodhi but it was taken out UNLESS you enter the monster placing code to place Entreri there so if I have Drizzt helping me, I send Artemis after him and deal with Bodhi while he fights Entreri...then I take ENTRERI's Stuff

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  13:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, does anyone else here thinks drizzt is easy?
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  14:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

Drizzt and friends are as ez as any other meat in the game. Karzak smash.

Or at least the mages smash. If you've done all the content including Watcher's Keep, by the time you exit the Underdark you should be high-level enough to have level-9 spells. Time stop, spam horrid wilting, top off with death spell, and finish off whatever's left standing. Also, use a mod to remove Malchor Harpell and you can keep the loot to sell if you like, because it's crappy compared to what you should have by that point anyway.

...and even if you don't have level-9 spells, I still don't see how Drizzt and the rest could present any trouble.

that's assuming you have TOB installed. if you don't, you can't get high enough int to be able to cast 9th level spells. trust me, i maxxed out my mages intel

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  14:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
that's assuming you have TOB installed. if you don't, you can't get high enough int to be able to cast 9th level spells. trust me, i maxxed out my mages intel

Mages have always been able to cast level nine spells before ToB came out; the original level cap allowed it fine. High enough int? It's not NWN, you can't put more points in attributes as you level up anyway.

Also, the mod Unfinished Business adds Artemis back in, if you care about that sort of thing.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what i meant by that was that the cap at the beginning of the game is 18, therefore you cannot cast 9th level spells. the issuel of the caster. it is intelligence issue

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
not NWN, you can't put more points in attributes as you level up anyway.

exactly my point. the max Intel score I can get with an elven mage is 18, no higher

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

drizzt alone has a +5 scimitar, and a +3 scimitar his party have equally powerful weapons including a warhammer/axe

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

what i meant by that was that the cap at the beginning of the game is 18, therefore you cannot cast 9th level spells. the issuel of the caster. it is intelligence issue

You don't need more than 18 to cast level nine spells in BG2. You're confusing the rules with 3rd ed.

quote:
drizzt alone has a +5 scimitar, and a +3 scimitar his party have equally powerful weapons including a warhammer/axe

The NPC AI is dumb as a brick, and powerful weapons don't mean a lot. Are your fighters going around naked or something? If they don't have about -14 AC by the time you exit Underdark, something's wrong. (That's what my dual-wielding fighter/thief had. Korgan, a full-fledged shield-wielding, plated berserker, had at least -17.) And Celestial Fury is an excellent equalizer. Use a little strategy.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You don't need more than 18 to cast level nine spells in BG2. You're confusing the rules with 3rd ed.

quote:

The NPC AI is dumb as a brick, and powerful weapons don't mean a lot. Are your fighters going around naked or something? If they don't have about -14 AC by the time you exit Underdark, something's wrong. (That's what my dual-wielding fighter/thief had.

how in god's name do you have -14? obviously you aren't using Drow armor because, unless you cheated, it disintigrates as soon as you come out of underdark. the best I can do is -11. and that's with a sheild. how did you do it without a sheild?

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fighter-thief was wearing shadow dragon armor scale, the Ring of Gaxx, and had high DEX.

Korgan was wearing the gauntlets of dexterity. And, ahaha, another Ring of Gaxx. Yes, I cheesily pickpocketed Kangaxx before the fight.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The fighter-thief was wearing shadow dragon armor scale, the Ring of Gaxx, and had high DEX.

Korgan was wearing the gauntlets of dexterity. And, ahaha, another Ring of Gaxx. Yes, I cheesily pickpocketed Kangaxx before the fight.

i have all of those and still can't get to -14

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and i have a sheild

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mages have always been able to cast level nine spells before ToB came out; the original level cap allowed it fine.

No it didn't. The original XP cap only allowed single class mages to reach level 17, which, in 2E, was only high enough to cast level 8 spells.

You could cast level 9 spells from scrolls, though.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Oct 2007 16:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which shield?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your character went through BG1 also, he might have a 19 INT from the magic stat boosting book (I forget the name)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The NPC AI is dumb as a brick, and powerful weapons don't mean a lot. Are your fighters going around naked or something? If they don't have about -14 AC by the time you exit Underdark, something's wrong.

Well, I wouldn't agree that something is wrong. I do think the BG games (especially BG2 and ToB) are pretty easy, with the exception of a few certain fights, so it isn't essential to have an AC that low. Either way, you couldn't go that low on every character in your party without cheating (as far as I recall), so it's more important to have a well-equipped group as a whole.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Oct 2007 16:24:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000