Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 menzoberranzan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  07:13:07  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
well i was playing Menzoberranzan from the forgotten realms archives, and in the underdark i met up with a creature (not found in any D&D creature book)called the "aboleth". it touched one of my characters and now drizzt has a desease called aboleth...IS THERE NO FREAKING CURE FOR IT??? HELP!!!

Libera animus omnium fidelium defunctorum de poenis obscurum

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  13:00:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If under 3.5 rules

" A blow from an aboleth’s tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature’s natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.

A remove disease spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction. "

If under 2nd Edition rules.

"If a victim struck by a tentacle fails a saving throw vs. spell, the victim's skin transforms into a clear, slimy membrane in 1d4+1 rounds. If this occurs, the victim must keep the membrane damp with cool water or suffer 1d12 points of damage each turn. Cure disease cast upon the victim before the membrane completely forms stops the transformation. Otherwise, cure serious wounds will cause the membrane to revert to normal skin."

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 10 Oct 2006 13:08:21
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  18:57:48  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it would most likly be under 2e rules. it seems to me tho that this game is to old and nobody has played it, please correct me if i am wrong. i do thank you for the help, but it does not work unfortunatly.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  12:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old SSI games were under AD&D 2nd edition rules... some of them even from AD&D 1st edition. My bet is many of us oldtimers played the game at one point or another, but it has been at least a decade or more ago.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  14:20:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Play though if you can, it appears drizzt will be kidnapped later. Maybe after you rescue him he might be cured. There again the game might be over soon after rescue.

As an NPC that has a role to play, either you can not win (which requires a new game) or he will not be effected the way a PC would be.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  14:39:42  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mace and kentinal thank you for your wisdom and i will try that right now!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  15:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been called wise before...guess all that excess finally pays off!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  16:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The aboleth in 3.5 edition is described in MMI.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  17:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have played maybe 2 minutes of this game and my copy crashed :( I would much like to be able to play some of the old games like this....i guess my computers are too advanced to support it

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  19:52:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well copy might be bad as well, I tried it a few times, but went to kill the Drow. Having done some reseach (read a few walk thoughs) trying to find request cure I discovered the best thing to do is avoid the Drow and do something else.

Also if copy is not bad, there are untilities (or used to be) to slow down computer processing time.

Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:05:37  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tell me kentinal when you find the cure. many thanx to you

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:15:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadowni87

tell me kentinal when you find the cure. many thanx to you

Most of the walk thoughs appear to be the same.

Kill the aboleth, then depart lake.

I can not find anything yet about what to do if a PC or NPC gets slimed. If I have time I might test the game if I remember not to try to kill Drow when I first see them. It was rather hard to see them which lead quickly to character death as you might imagine.

I take it drizzt will not let you depart?
You know you might be able to leave him, if not basically your game is over. I perfer dying fighting but if game refuses to let the PCs to exit, it indeed is a TPK

Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:39:04  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on the contrary you can let drizzt go, but you will lose the game. funny thing happened to me, drizzt cannot use any weapon when in a cave i found that odd...and the one who is "slimed" is drizzt himself

Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  09:37:13  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i still need help... is there no one out there???

Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  14:37:24  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played the game to years ago and it use advanced dungeons & dragons rules. Other games like this are "Strahd's wrath" but that's a ravenloft adventure :)
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  21:11:50  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever i try to play that game I get to what I think is the final battle and the game always crashes. I've never seen the end of that game. =(

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  00:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its been ages since I played it. For the Aboleth thing try Cure Disease, as in 2e most diseases can be beat with that before they activate.

Its a big face off at the end, with an alternate way of how things play out for House Do'Urden.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  09:03:30  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damned, it's been a very long time that I played that game. I think I will try to play it again very soon but I'm not sure I can play it on my PC, because the game is so OLD :-)
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  00:16:56  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the game was first released, it was a notoriously buggy release. The initial release did not allow character creation. An Extended Memory Error (yep, for those who remember the DOS days, this error was the bane of all "new" software) would appear, and the game would crash.

The only way to play the game was to use the pregenerated 2 characters (it's been a decade, but I think it was a male fighter and female cleric. But my memory is probably extremely foggy ...)
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  01:15:12  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you tyr. it took a while but it has worked!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Its been ages since I played it. For the Aboleth thing try Cure Disease, as in 2e most diseases can be beat with that before they activate.

Its a big face off at the end, with an alternate way of how things play out for House Do'Urden.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  01:23:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said Cure disease 10 Oct. 06 might work and was told it did not work, perhaps it took a few castings?

Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  00:09:53  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes it did take a few and i was just not patient enough thanx

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  03:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even get that game to work properly....even worse is Descent to Undermountain :( never worked

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  18:45:34  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played both !!! menzoberranzan and undermountain!!! they worked very well..

great games indeed

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000