Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Worldwide D&D Game Day
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  08:33:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Some of the scribes here may have an interest in this. It's from EN World -
quote:
Saturday, October 2, 2004, participating game stores will present two adventures well stocked with hapless monsters to slay. Bring some friends to adventure with or meet some new gaming buddies at the event. The mini adventure, Lair or the Mad Alchemist, provides a great introduction to D&D, while The Forgotten Forge offers the thrill of a full-scale adventure set in the exciting new world of Eberron.

More details can be uncovered here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  16:49:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The date for this event has been moved back.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  17:04:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an FAQ now up for this event.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  22:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says theres a list somewhere of all the stores that are participating... I couldn't find that list anywhere. If anyone finds it could you please post a link?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  03:38:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

It says theres a list somewhere of all the stores that are participating... I couldn't find that list anywhere. If anyone finds it could you please post a link?

I'll let you know if I find one posted. The site says Mid-August...hmmm, my defintion of mid-August must be different from others.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  03:58:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an interview up with the Senior Brand Manager for D&D regarding this event.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  16:43:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new article is up asking for help with this event.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  18:11:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Main information page for the Worlwide Gameday

List of worldwide locations offering the Gameday
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  08:08:30  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

This list has been online for about two weeks now. Still only American locations posted. Not quite "international" after all, eh? C'mon, by now the wizards should have a decent list of the rest of locations, don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  08:28:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Heppe

quote:

This list has been online for about two weeks now. Still only American locations posted. Not quite "international" after all, eh? C'mon, by now the wizards should have a decent list of the rest of locations, don't you think?

*blink*

Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia are American locations? I'm sorry, I was under the impression that those were sovereign nations, and not part of the USA.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  08:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Exactly my thoughts! Of course, we have to remember that the populace of the USA don't realise there is a world beyond the continents of the America's ::waits for the barrage of abuse from US citizens::

Seriously, i'm quite disappointed that WotC have neglected to include the rest of the world in this. As it goes, Worldwide D&D Day falls on the last day of GENCON UK....lets see if anything happens there.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  09:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

quote:

Exactly my thoughts! Of course, we have to remember that the populace of the USA don't realise there is a world beyond the continents of the America's ::waits for the barrage of abuse from US citizens::

Seriously, i'm quite disappointed that WotC have neglected to include the rest of the world in this. As it goes, Worldwide D&D Day falls on the last day of GENCON UK....lets see if anything happens there.

Did you not see the following line?

quote:
We are finalizing the list of venues throughout Europe, Australia and the rest of the world and will add them shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  09:45:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm one of the organizers running our local D&D Gameday... I already have the material in hand as I will be DMing these adventures at the gameday. I also know the prizes!

So if you have any questions, go ahead!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  12:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Did you not see the following line?

quote:
We are finalizing the list of venues throughout Europe, Australia and the rest of the world and will add them shortly.

Nope
Now i'm much happier

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  13:06:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia are American locations? I'm sorry, I was under the impression that those were sovereign nations, and not part of the USA.

SB whistles..."Boy, talk about Manifest Destiny."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  15:40:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

SB whistles..."Boy, talk about Manifest Destiny."

Good one!

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2004 :  19:00:57  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope they have organised something over here as well, only know of one actual location that would suit, well maybe one or two others as well.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  09:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo hoo! There is actually a location that is pretty close to where I'm at! Now I just have to go and find this place.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  09:20:51  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, my fault. I was under the impression that the term "American" meant more than "just the USA, nothing else, thank you". Seems like the education in Yurop is not as good as it used to be. So could somebody please tell me by what names the continents are called, where "Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia" are located. Iīd really like to know, so that I can avoid mistakes frome now on.

By the way, is Geography in the States taught like this:

Teacher(holding a map of the solar system): "As you can see, students, the USA takes 365 days to surround the sun once, while the moon only takes roughly one month to circle the United States..."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  09:45:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sorry, my fault. I was under the impression that the term "American" meant more than "just the USA, nothing else, thank you". Seems like the education in Yurop is not as good as it used to be. So could somebody please tell me by what names the continents are called, where "Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia" are located. Iīd really like to know, so that I can avoid mistakes frome now on.

By the way, is Geography in the States taught like this:

Teacher(holding a map of the solar system): "As you can see, students, the USA takes 365 days to surround the sun once, while the moon only takes roughly one month to circle the United States..."

First, to use your exact line that set me off:

quote:

Still only American locations posted. Not quite "international" after all, eh?

Next, we pay a visit to dictionary.com, and we find these definitions of international:

quote:
1. Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations
2. Extending across or transcending national boundaries

Hmm, two or more, and crossing national boundaries...

Now, looking at a map, I see that the list of places I enumerated are all separate nations. Further, they are spread among two continents.

Perhaps it's just me, but that readily matches the definitions of international.

You are the one who implied that all the nations listed were part of the USA -- because if having 8 nations other than the US isn't international, then what is?

Further, I will thank you not to mock the US educational system. Your words were, to me, an implication that the WotC folks were ignoring the rest of the world and calling a US-only event an international one.

Now, perhaps we should forego any further unpleasantness, and get back to the topic on hand.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Oct 2004 09:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  10:47:54  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I used "American" in my first post to imply that only locations within the two American continents were posted. With "international", I wanted to say "rest of the world" like Australia, Asia, Africa...

By no means I wanted to imply that WotC (who are, by the way, doing a great job so far after launching the Realms into 3E) are ignoring other countries. They are famous for their international customer support. Probably thatīs the reason why Iīm disappointed of not being able to read about other Worldwide Game Day locations...

I am also not mocking the US educational system, just an ironic remark. The USA has got great schools, even better universities. Although one can get the impression that good education becomes more or less the privilege of those who can pay handsomely for it. Thatīs an international trend I observe with growing sorrows.

Please guys, donīt misinterpret me as being anti-american. To the contrary, Iīve been to the states 23 times by now, and really like the country. But I will always keep my right to critizise what I call bad politics - but that doesnīt mean critizising the Americans as a whole. So, enough of that, back to topic...

Edited by - Alexander Heppe on 08 Oct 2004 10:52:54
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  11:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense intended here either, Wooly. I meant it a little tongue-in-cheek, as to the stereotypical American, but enough said, lets celebrate Worldwide D&D Day

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  09:57:51  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoody Hoo!

European locations have been added. 45 Locations in Germany alone. And my FLGS is in for it, too.

All right, folks. Letīs pay our favourite shop a visit on saturday.

Have Fun, everyone
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  07:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, let me say that it is completely understandable to call all of North and South America by the term "America." The problem that arises from this is obvious, though, once you try to think of what to call people from the United States. (The slang used by the FBI, as I can attest due to listening to my father's alphabet-soup-laden conversations with people he works with, is "usper," for "US Person," but that doesn't exactly work as a formal name.)

The next thing that one might think is that "the United States of America" is poorly named. After all, people from Canada are Canadian, if you're from Mexico you're Mexican . . . why did the people who started the US screw up?

Answer: they didn't.

First, you have to think about what the world was like then. The US was a new thing: a completely new country. It was ground-breaking. They had bigger things to worry about than what to call themselves.

Second, the United States was not, strictly, a single country. Not a lot of people think about how there have been two countries called the United States of America. The first was under the Articles of Confederation, wherein the states really were states -- that is, separate countries, save for the fact that they were all supposed to agree on things to do -- like how much money to print, what counties to make treaties with, etc.

(For those interested in the problems with the Articles, and how they were fixed with the Constitution, as well as the verbal battles that went into the making of the Constitution, I strongly recomend reading Decision in Philadelphia: The Constitutional Convention of 1787. It's a great read, even if you aren't normally into nonfiction like this.)

The current USA actually is a union, and was from the start. Even then, though, you were a member of your state before you were a US citizen. If I lived before the US Civil War, I'd have been a Marylander, rather than simply an American. Robert E. Lee, the army commander for the Confederates, actually believed that the war was a bad thing -- but his Virginia asked him to do it, and he was a Virginian first.

It was only after the Civil War that people began talking about "Americans" without also talking about what state you were from. By then, you also had "Canadians" rather than just more British, and "Mexicans" rather than just more Spaniards. As nationalism became more important, "American" was just a simple solution to a rather complicated problem of semantics.

Is it misleading? Yeah. But I defy you to think of a better way to put it.

Now, as to American schools. What you're refering to are public schools, which are required to do whatever the state (or federal government) tells them to do. That means they have to teach every stupid thing handed them, and polititians are often more concerned about their image -- and not offending people who vote for them -- do a lot of stupid things. Like, most recently, requiring that people switch from using red ink to mark wrong answers to purple. Seems it's a less violent color.

Private schools are allowed to teach actual things, rather than stuff like revisionist history. They can use red ink -- the only people it hurts are people who aren't getting things right, and they have bigger things to worry about. They can actually teach their students how to think, rather than throw stuff at them in the vague hope something sticks. (By the way, public school teachers are the profession most likely to send their kids to private school.)

Finally, American isolationism. Oh, yeah. I haven't heard a thing about the elections in Taiwan, Australia, or Indonesia. Last time I heard about Japan on mainstream news was months ago. Tony Blair is only mentioned in reference to Iraq. Something finally popped up about Afganistan that didn't involve Kerry's complaints. High oil prices are talked about, but only to blame Bush -- nothing about the problems in Venezuela or Nigeria, which are big oil producers; bare mention of lost productivity in the Gulf of Mexico; no mention that our demand for oil has increased without the oil supply matching it; nothing about China's increase.

In short, if it's not directly "American" it doesn't make the news. Our news services care too much about a "story" rather than presenting facts. They don't try educating people anymore -- I miss Walter Cronkite, and I've only seen him on tapes.

On the other hand, I also believe in hard work, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much if to get a proper education you have to work at it. It's frustrating to have to keep explaining the facts of life to people who only get theirs from thirty- to one-hour news segments, most of which isn't exactly headline news.

Yeah, I've been ranting here. Like I said, it's been frustrating. I get sick of dumb people, and I get sick of dumb Americans who make the US look like its full of dumb Americans. Since this forum is world-wide, I wanted to get in an explanation for a few things there.

::sigh:: At least the Americans on this forum aren't dumb . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  08:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, Bookwyrm Thanks.

..and you're quite right, the American members here at Candlekeep are very intelligent and knowledgable, a lot is owed to you all.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I was mistaken previously by thinking that D&D day fell on the SUNDAY of this weekend, its actually Saturday, so i'll be there at GENCON to see if WotC pull out all the stops and really promote this

Yes, Alaundo, i'll be sure to "report back here forthwith"

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  09:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you completely Bookwyrm. That is why I get my news from the internet and not from TV. Though I still don't believe all of it. That is one of the saddest things that has happened to this country. People believing everything they see on TV.

*hums American Idiot by Greenday*

~Lee N.

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 13 Oct 2004 09:01:49
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  13:43:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Like, most recently, requiring that people switch from using red ink to mark wrong answers to purple. Seems it's a less violent color.

That took place in Massachusetts if I recall right. However, I'm sure it will spread to the rest of the U.S. I when I read this news. I put it right up there with the "Friendly D's and F's," that are taking place in some colleges now where I used to live.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  23:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colleges too? Aiya. And here I was looking around at my own and thinking it was so nice that the stupidity hadn't reached it. Well, except for the college having to fill in the gaps from high school, but we also have a lot of ESL students so a lot of things already were geared down. Of course, they have an excuse. I'm a pretty lazy guy, myself, but I think there's no excuse for a lazy mind.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  23:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But we shouldn't talk about it here -- it's something that needs discussion, but this isn't the place. I just wanted to make certain that the non-Americans here had a few facts that I think most of the world lacks.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  02:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone participate at their local hobby store today?

I went to mine but there was only one D&D game going the rest were playing card games. I believe it was Magic but I couldn't be sure. I was pretty dissapointed by the turnout. Oh well I'm involved in enough online campaigns to sate my gaming appetite

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  04:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the closest one that would be having anything going on would be two hours away (I use public transport), I couldn't spare the time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000