Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Previews for October and Beyond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  14:01:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A new "In the Works" article is available.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  14:25:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The spells previewed form Complete Arcane are... what's the word I'm looking for... ah yes... disappointing . They're rather bland actually. I hope the rest of the material in the tome isn't as lacking, although, given the past history of tomes in the Complete series...

What do the rest of you think?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2004 14:26:46
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  15:26:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
What do the rest of you think?

I like the Yuan-Ti Halfblood. I could have used a mini like that when I ran Freeport.

I also see the crunch push for SS continues.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  15:38:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, Complete Arcane is going to update the wu jen? I wonder if they'll do a good job on it, this time. I've only liked one wu jen set-up, and that came from a 2E Dragon magazine issue... I'm also hoping that they're bringing back the wild mage, because those were a lot of fun.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  20:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget where I read this but somewhere I read that there was going to be an alternate sorcerer class called the Warlock detailed in Complete Arcane. I would be very interested in that as I had already thought of a sorcerer variant with the same name for my homebrew world. Perhaps it will give me some more ideas. Though what I was thinking about would have been very unique more of a heriditary inherited class

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  21:27:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those seeking a healthy alternative to sorcerer should look at warmage from the miniatures handbook!

WARMAGE HAS OFFICIALLY REPLACED SORCERER AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!!!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  21:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

I forget where I read this but somewhere I read that there was going to be an alternate sorcerer class called the Warlock detailed in Complete Arcane. I would be very interested in that as I had already thought of a sorcerer variant with the same name for my homebrew world. Perhaps it will give me some more ideas. Though what I was thinking about would have been very unique more of a heriditary inherited class
You're probably remembering the Warlock from my Gen Con report. The Warlock, however, isn't an "alternate sorcerer," but a completely different take on spellcasting, that doesn't use the slots/day mechanic at all (at least, that's according to the WotC folks at the seminar in question).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  07:14:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm also hoping that they're bringing back the wild mage, because those were a lot of fun.

Indeed, that is something I also hope for my furry friend .

I've always preferred using wild mages as NPCs though... They just seem to make such brilliant obstacles... especially when the party least expects it (and sometimes when they do... ).

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  07:20:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, Complete Arcane is going to update the wu jen? I wonder if they'll do a good job on it, this time. I've only liked one wu jen set-up, and that came from a 2E Dragon magazine issue... I'm also hoping that they're bringing back the wild mage, because those were a lot of fun.

Rich said on the WOTC boards that the Wild Mage should be a prestige class in Complete Arcane.... :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  07:49:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Rich said on the WOTC boards that the Wild Mage should be a prestige class in Complete Arcane.... :)

Well, there we go then... confirmation at last .

I guess now I can start tinkering with some nasty wild mage NPC and plot ideas for one or two upcoming campaigns...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  08:43:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've always preferred using wild mages as NPCs though... They just seem to make such brilliant obstacles... especially when the party least expects it (and sometimes when they do... ).

I played one for a few sessions... Though the campaign never went anywhere (an unfortunate tendency of the campaigns I participated in), I had a lot of fun playing that character. My DM particularly enjoyed the wild surges, too -- he's nearly as evil, devious and mischievous as I.

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Ah, thank you. I remember him saying he wrote the class, way back when in those long ago days when I was allowed to help people out on the WotC forums (and argue against a Drizzt movie! ).

I guess this means I'll actually have to spring for a Complete book...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  08:55:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I played one for a few sessions... Though the campaign never went anywhere (an unfortunate tendency of the campaigns I participated in)...
Why is that?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  08:57:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah, thank you. I remember him saying he wrote the class, way back when in those long ago days when I was allowed to help people out on the WotC forums (and argue against a Drizzt movie! ).

I guess this means I'll actually have to spring for a Complete book...

Grin, aye we miss you over there. :) I'm still puttering around over there and haven't got banned yet... HAHAH. Also yeah the few threads about the book also claim that prestige class should be within.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  09:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Defenestrating sphere"?

[::beat::]

Invented by a wizard from Prague?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  15:45:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I played one for a few sessions... Though the campaign never went anywhere (an unfortunate tendency of the campaigns I participated in)...
Why is that?

'Twas a combination of things, really. By the time I got into playing, my friends and I were having to do things like juggle work schedules and other obligations. For reasons that were never adequately explained, some members of our group seemed unwilling to even try to arrange to always have a certain day off from work... And then there was the fact that the only person willing to DM would usually get bored a few sessions into a campaign and want to do something different...

It was all very frustrating. And then came the last campaign Mike tried to run... My character failed a check I didn't even think he should have had to make, accidentally killing another character. This irked a third PC, who attacked and killed my character. So in the first session, half of the party was slain by the other half, and he just let it happen. This was shortly after the end of another campaign, when a dragon accomplished a TPK against our low-level characters. So at that point, I decided I would never again participate in a game run by Mike.

A couple of others did eventually try DM'ing, but it rarely lasted long -- mostly due to time issues.

Now that old group is scattered, and trying to get together to do anything is difficult. Since I work nights, I've not even tried to find a new group to join. So I've not gamed in years, which really draws vacuum.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

"Defenestrating sphere"?

[::beat::]

Invented by a wizard from Prague?

Honestly, that does seem like a rather bizarre idea for a spell...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000