Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Lesser Evils contest (Free Books!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  21:33:19  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just popping by to let you all know that I am holding a contest on my blog to mark the release of Lesser Evils. I haven't done one of these before, so I'm very excited!

Here's the important information:

1. Make a comment on this post: http://slushlush.com/2012/10/lesser-evils-giveaway/. You are going to have to leave an email address to do this, but that’s good, because if you win, I will have to have a way to contact you!
2. In your comment, call out your favorite fictional evil organization. It MUST be fictional, but you can draw from books, movies, comics, or TV. Feel free to include links—we all love being introduced to new stories.
3. From the pool of comments, I will randomly select a winner who will get a signed copy of Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils.
4. BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE! If at least 30 people enter, I will give the winner copies of Brimstone Angels and Lesser Evils. I will also draw TWO more winners, who will each get a copy of Brimstone Angels orLesser Evils (your choice).
5. AND HOLD THE PHONE! If at least 60 people enter, I will give the winner copies of Brimstone Angelsand Lesser Evilsand the second Waterdeep Omnibus, containing The God Catcher as well as City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones and Circle of Skulls by James P. Davis. Plus THREE winners of Lesser Evils or Brimstone Angels
6. If we get to 120…I will think of something, because I will be really surprised if that happens. (Go ahead. Surprise me!)

I will draw names and notify winners December 1st, so if you don’t win, you’ll still have time to get your copy. Only one entry per person. No purchase necessary. May the odds be ever in your favor, etc.,etc.

Right now I have 27 comments (plus one on the accidental Goodreads repost), so we are very close to more prizes.

Thanks for reading. Good luck to those who enter!

www.slushlush.com

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  21:44:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erin, sounds great!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  00:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG, doing this.

Everyone should do this. Erin is an awesome writer, and you will NOT be disappointed. Plus, it's a setup for the Sundering, which should draw Realmslore scribes like a glowing idol on top of an altar at the end of a room full of traps. And zombies.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  01:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entered. My faction was from a video game, but I'm hoping that media isn't going to be discriminated against.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  01:10:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Up to 36 my last count.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  02:03:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't make things easy, do you Erin?

Just limiting myself to one evil organisation will be difficult, but I love these kinds of contests, so I'll have to decide...

And we're now at 38 replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  02:35:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted! Let's go straight for the 120!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:34:26  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Up to 43--I'm starting to think 120 might not be such a pipe dream...

I am loving the wide range of answers. Lot of ways to be evil.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Entered. My faction was from a video game, but I'm hoping that media isn't going to be discriminated against.

Never! First, because fictional is fictional and your opinion is your opinion. Not gonna judge!

But if I were going to judge, bring on the video games! I'ma fan! There are a lot of game writers putting a lot of thought into their stories. (I've actually worked as a writer and editor on a video game [TERA], too. ).

But this is currently an Xbox-only abode (the husband works there, so it is the only console to survive parenthood). So no Blood Omen for me.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  08:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Wow! Up to 43--I'm starting to think 120 might not be such a pipe dream...

I am loving the wide range of answers. Lot of ways to be evil.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Never! First, because fictional is fictional and your opinion is your opinion. Not gonna judge!

But if I were going to judge, bring on the video games! I'ma fan! There are a lot of game writers putting a lot of thought into their stories. (I've actually worked as a writer and editor on a video game [TERA], too. ).

But this is currently an Xbox-only abode (the husband works there, so it is the only console to survive parenthood). So no Blood Omen for me.

That is a terrible shame. It really is one of the true classics- arguably, its one of the first instances of playing a true anti-hero in video games, as opposed to an "anti"hero that was really heroic in every fashion, just happened to look edgy. Has one of the more interesting and better told video game stories of all time, in my opinion.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  20:31:02  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be sure to add my entry as soon as I decide on an evil organisation to back.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  09:16:53  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quickly looking over the entries it all seems to be referances of fictional evil groups from diverse media. I do wonder if one is able to provide an organisation from his own mind to the contest, which would of course lead to much more explaining on the hows and whos?

Aside from that, i do a happy dance for the mentioning of my beloved Zhentarim and the hope they are loyal to their rightfull divine overlord Bane.

Edit: Another question, what age rating should the "evil" group have?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 24 Oct 2012 17:34:17
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  20:45:37  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the very least, Chosen of Asmodeus, you can at least consider me enlightened, should the situation change. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Quickly looking over the entries it all seems to be referances of fictional evil groups from diverse media. I do wonder if one is able to provide an organisation from his own mind to the contest, which would of course lead to much more explaining on the hows and whos?

My only requirement is that they be fictional. So one could indeed do that and have it counted! As for age rating, I do not have a problem with you citing a particularly foul organization or group. But I'd rather you leave the gory details to the media in question. Basically, you could say Nazis and cite concentration camps, but don't give me a brutal rundown of every atrocity. Not the right place.

quote:
Aside from that, i do a happy dance for the mentioning of my beloved Zhentarim and the hope they are loyal to their rightfull divine overlord Bane.

Ah, the Zhentarim are a tricky beast in 1478 DR! I think you will be pleased. There are Banites. There is also some...how shall we say..."disagreement" with certain "usurpers"?

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:03:47  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let´s hope they give the Heretics a run for their money

Edit: Gave it my try

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 24 Oct 2012 21:56:09
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  06:30:41  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Let´s hope they give the Heretics a run for their money

Edit: Gave it my try

Perfect! Hope you start a trend. :)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  06:39:36  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I am obviously not that good at guessing how many people will enter a contest for free books, we are already closing in on 60 comments! And there's still more than a month to go

So I broke down and came up with more prizes. http://slushlush.com/2012/10/333/

The Summary

If 120 people enter the giveaway:

*One person will win signed copies of Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils., the second Waterdeep Omnibus (featuring The God Catcher), and a copy of Realms of the Dead, featuring the first appearance of Tam “the Shepherd” Zawad, and many great stories.
* Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angels or Lesser Evils.
* AND as a thank you to everyone who enters, I will release a cut scene from Lesser Evils.!

If 240 people enter the giveaway
*One person will win the books listed above PLUS a copy of the Sundering poster given out at GenCon. (I will be happy to sign this too, or send it to you clean.)
*TWO people will get a copy of Brimstone Angels AND a copy of Lesser Evils.
* Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angelsor Lesser Evils..
*AND…I will release another cut scene from Lesser Evils.!

And just to make things interesting/cover my bases, if at least 500 people enter the giveaway, I will do all of the above, PLUS….

I will write a free short story.

(I am mulling over the best option here. My gut says God Catcher follow-up...)

Thanks to everyone who's entered so far!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  08:32:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to rustle up my fellow readers at work, Erin, and see if they can all jump on board for this contest as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  07:34:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't this supposed to be released in Nov? I went to buy it today and now it has a Dec release. :(
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! The contest has reached 100 entries. Only 20 more needed for the next tier of prizes!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  16:10:47  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Wasn't this supposed to be released in Nov? I went to buy it today and now it has a Dec release. :(

Brimstone Angels had a November release date, but Lesser Evils was moved to December...I think right after I signed the contract for it. I know it wasn't my fault even though I was definitely late with my manuscript.

And thanks Hawkins! I was coming to post just that!

Also, if you are interested in the cut scene, Nina gave the okay for me to post that immediately, once we hit 120.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  18:28:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Brimstone Angels had a November release date, but Lesser Evils was moved to December...I think right after I signed the contract for it. I know it wasn't my fault even though I was definitely late with my manuscript.

And thanks Hawkins! I was coming to post just that!

Also, if you are interested in the cut scene, Nina gave the okay for me to post that immediately, once we hit 120.

Man, that's two months without any new releases. I'm starting to get the shakes. :D
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  23:33:44  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in one busy weekend, the contest reached both the 120 tier and the 240 tier! So the prizes are now as follows:

• One person will win signed copies of Brimstone Angels, Lesser Evils, the second Waterdeep Omnibus (featuring The God Catcher), and a copy of Realms of the Dead, featuring the first appearance of Tam “the Shepherd” Zawad, among other great stories. PLUS a copy of the Sundering poster given out at GenCon. (I will be happy to sign this too, or send it to you clean.)

• TWO people will get a copy of Brimstone Angels AND a copy of Lesser Evils

• Five additional people will win a copy of either Brimstone Angels or Lesser Evils.

Also I have posted cut scenes from Lesser Evils on my blog here and here as rewards for breaking those two tiers.

Thanks so much to everyone who's entered. I'm obviously really blown away by the response, and am pleased there's actually a possibility of reaching that 500-entry stretch goal.

If you haven't entered, there's still time

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  19:08:28  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man, that's two months without any new releases. I'm starting to get the shakes. :D

Those cut scenes won't cure you. But they may be critical to staving off the hallucinations until you can get a proper novel in hand.
/not a doctor

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  22:53:12  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Those cut scenes won't cure you. But they may be critical to staving off the hallucinations until you can get a proper novel in hand.
/not a doctor

Comment posted, gots to get me a taste. :D
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  22:53:26  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heads up: Today is the last day of the giveaway (well, it's over at 8:00 AM PST tomorrow morning). If you haven't entered yet, this is your last chance!

http://slushlush.com/2012/10/lesser-evils-giveaway/

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  16:29:11  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erin,

Can list the names of the winners. So you can give the winners bragging rights and what not. LOL. Not the actual name but ID. put on computer screen for the website.

Whitney

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  18:37:17  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lunarbeams

Erin,

Can list the names of the winners. So you can give the winners bragging rights and what not. LOL. Not the actual name but ID. put on computer screen for the website.

Whitney

Sure! Here's the post with all of the winning entries: http://slushlush.com/2012/12/lesser-evils-winners/

I'm still waiting to hear back from two of the winners. So if you're among them, please check your email!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  21:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be willing to take one of their prizes if they decide they don't want it. =D

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  21:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Hawkins said.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  02:59:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've claimed mine! Hands off you ruffians!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  05:51:51  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I've claimed mine! Hands off you ruffians!

And they should be on their way to you tomorrow--just have to go get bigger envelopes for you two.

But if the last folks haven't replied by Friday, I'm redrawing. So...I guess there's still a chance?

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  15:48:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erin, I just have to say again here; this is going to be one of the best Christmas gifts I have this year! Many thanks!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000