Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rose of Sarifal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  03:33:25  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is probably a better forum to ask these questions in.

So many questions... where to begin... I don't know how many of these questions are even answerable. I kept checking to see if I was really on the last page of my Kindle, because the book just... ends. I feel like I missed something (which is possible since I am extremely tired lol).

I am assuming this is a stand alone, since I have heard nothing of a sequel. I assume Amaka is supposed to be Lolth? What was her reason for helping them? Lolth doesn't strike me as a particularly benevolent goddess and there are no longer any female Drow goddesses left alive *tear*.

Do they attack Ordalf and win? And finally, after all of this, does Amaranth really become nothing more than another pompous Le-Shay focused on her own power and "vengeance"? I was beginning to like her, but it seems she was playing Lukas and based on her last line, may have even went with Araithe to have a child. I really despised her at the end. It seemed as though nobody really won.

All in all, I did enjoy the read, very different take on the fey compared to what I have read so far.

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  11:47:56  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a scroll about this novel a few weeks ago to share my, admittedly negative, opinions on it:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17116

But basically, I think the issue you see with Lolth is mostly because the book really doesn't feel that "realmsy" to me at least.

And yeah, I also think that the book ended abruptly (it also felt shorter than your average FR novel).

I don't think they attacked Ordalf, they simply don't explain what happens when Amaranths joins her nephew/cousin/uncle(?) (familial ties in the novel were confusing).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

boweik
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  13:34:49  Show Profile Send boweik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm not the only one who felt this way... I thought the ENTIRE novel was all over the place, definitely not very good IMO

"I got first blood!" - Drizzt Do'Urden
"Last counts more." - Artemis Entreri
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  14:51:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who likes elves I didn't appreciate the extreme negative portrayal of them in this novel. But it was certainly different from the usual FR books thats true enough. It was an interesting book and if the author moderated her views a little it might have been more popular.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  05:15:11  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could the name of this thread be edited to show that there are spoilers in here?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000