Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizard's 2010 releases
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:05:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ENworld reports that Amazon has two new books on the catalog.

Underdark and Dragonborn. Underdark is hardcover for 30 dollars and dragonborn is 10 dollars for softcover.

http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-4th-D-Supplement/dp/078695387X/

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Races-Dragonborn-Supplement/dp/0786953861/

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:12:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see they aren't publishing too many 'splat' books on races & such...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:37:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Indeed! Not since the latter books of the PHBR series from 2E have we had a book devoted to a single PC race. Progress!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:40:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Indeed! Not since the latter books of the PHBR series from 2E have we had a book devoted to a single PC race. Progress!

HHAHAHA. I just kind of rolled my eyes at another Underdark book. Seriously, there's about.... four of them now? I know, someone will come by and go "But there's not one for 4e! So, we need another one." Uh huh.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  18:15:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

HHAHAHA. I just kind of rolled my eyes at another Underdark book. Seriously, there's about.... four of them now? I know, someone will come by and go "But there's not one for 4e! So, we need another one." Uh huh.....

FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark (2E)
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (2E)
Underdark (3E)
Drow of the Underdark (3E)
Underdark (4E)

... Did I miss any? I think it's a pretty safe bet there will be a 4E drow book, too.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  18:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could probably put Menzoberranzan along with those (despite it not having Underdark in the title).

Oh, and there's the novel REALMS OF THE UNDERDARK

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Let's look at the 3.xE PC Race books (all detailing multiple races)

Races of Stone (dwarves, gnomes and the other one (brain fart))
Races of Destiny (Illumians, Humans and Half-Elves and Half-Orcs)
Races of the Wild (Elves, Halflings, and the other one (brain fart))

So for each book at about 35$ you pay about 10$ per race. So the going price per race hasn't changed much, except now you can pay less if you only care about dwarves and hate gnomes lol.

I guess you can add Races of Faerun to that list (which was the best one and one of the best all time FR products, especially for finally fleshing out the HUMAN subraces).

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  19:04:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Underdark (3E)
Underdark (4E)

... Did I miss any? I think it's a pretty safe bet there will be a 4E drow book, too.

Don't forget City of the Spider Queen.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  20:03:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ENworld reports that Amazon has two new books on the catalog.

Underdark and Dragonborn. Underdark is hardcover for 30 dollars and dragonborn is 10 dollars for softcover.

http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-4th-D-Supplement/dp/078695387X/

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Races-Dragonborn-Supplement/dp/0786953861/

Well that is good to know. I had heard about the newest Underdark title from BRJ's Ask thread. Didnt know about the Dragonborn Book just yet.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  21:29:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be interested in seeing what the Dragonborn book response will be.

It's pretty common that, as a gaming company releases more books, power creep takes hold so that the 'newest shiny' is the most powerful thing available. This is good for marketing (heh... Warhammer's BASED continued success is BASED on this), since most players want the most for their characters. However, it's generally bad for the game since previous books are now 'weaker'.

I think WotC is playing it perfectly though, with spreading the books out so that there's a new release every month or so, but they aren't too unbalancing. Just enough to keep players buying the books.

And, the reason I'm bring this up is, since WotC is almost anti-fluff anymore, I don't picture the Dragonborn book being a cultural book, but rather a list of powers, feats and subraces. Thus making Dragonborn more powerful than other races.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  23:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question with all the themed class/environment/etc. books not tied to explicit settings is 'What's so interesting about what this group of staff designers has to say about the subject?' As compared with Ed Greenwood on the Realms or Keith Baker on Eberron, or John Rateliff on Middle-earth or other known experts.

Aside from that, the books' only appeal is official rules material. So it's limited to those who like to amass such stuff, which rules me out, for one, even if I played that version of the game. (I've been selling off most of my non-Realms 2E books for this reason.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  01:01:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Underdark (3E)
Underdark (4E)

Forget that, originally, 2002 was the "Year of the Drow" at WotC. It would seem more appropriate to suggest that these last nine years have been the "Decade of the Drow."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  01:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know. Although, at 32 pages that dragonborn book sounds awfully skimpy anyway.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  04:56:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually $10 per race book sounds about right. You figure a DM needs everything, but a player shouldn't have to buy anything that they won't use, so now they need merely buy the book for the race the are interested in playing.

This, I think, is a positive, and actually a step in the right direction.

As for yet another Underdark book... <we need a vomiting smiley>

Let us not forget the Liriel series of novels, some of the Drizzt books, WotSQ, and you could even throw-in Night Below if you wanted to be thorough. Undermountain stuff (including Skullport) if you wanted to be uber-thorough.

Yeah... way too much information on an area only about 10% of the campaigns use.

Drow remind me of earings on dudes - they were cool, until everybody started doing it.
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I know. Although, at 32 pages that dragonborn book sounds awfully skimpy anyway.
No more so then some adventures I could think of, and $10 sounds about right these days.

While it's true 50 pgs. would have been better, its still a bargain compared to the $35 book players would have had to buy if they hadn't decided to do the races individually.

For a DM it works out almost the same - By the end of 3e the books were only 160 pgs, and the race books had some info on more then just the main three covered, plus a lot of 'filler' (Huge stat-blocks, useless Feats and PrCs, etc...)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2009 05:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  05:24:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when I made my comment I was also thinking of the 1e books that include the underdark. So there's probably about a dozen or so underdark books in existence now. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  13:47:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, when I made my comment I was also thinking of the 1e books that include the underdark. So there's probably about a dozen or so underdark books in existence now. :)

Ah, but the only 'legal' book will be the 4th Edition one. Didn't you get the memo from WotC about how the previous editions no longer exist?

(that's a big J/K, BTW)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  14:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of one book per race as well.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  15:58:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking further on this, the best solution is to make these new race books mostly crunch. Then take the 3e fluff (perhaps slightly modified, especially in the case of the Dragoborn) and give us an additional 20 pages of pure fluff available on the web, and only available to DDi customers.

The fluff already exists (ad nauseum) for every race and culture, so all they need do is spruce it up a little and present it again for 'free' (but only free to subscribers). This will eliminate redundant fluff in books (so that the 35 pages would be 'meaty'), generate 'good will' by having older material available for free (rules-free, which just saves WotC on page counts, and costs them nothing), and also lure many more 4e players to the DDi.

I hate to say it, but if every book they put-out had a lot more fluff and it was all put into Web-enhancements on the DDi, the DDi would really take-off. It would also give them a venue to present setting-specific information for each core book (the way Etan's articles used to, or how some of the later 3e splats had the "In the Realms..." sidebars). If they really wanted to put some time and effort into it, they could even present different campaign-specific WE's for each book. That is the optimal solution, I think, with the universal 'crunch' in the hard-copies, and most of the fluff online - thats a win-win for everyone.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2009 15:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  16:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I like fluffy books...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  16:29:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thinking further on this, the best solution is to make these new race books mostly crunch. Then take the 3e fluff (perhaps slightly modified, especially in the case of the Dragoborn) and give us an additional 20 pages of pure fluff available on the web, and only available to DDi customers.

The fluff already exists (ad nauseum) for every race and culture, so all they need do is spruce it up a little and present it again for 'free' (but only free to subscribers). This will eliminate redundant fluff in books (so that the 35 pages would be 'meaty'), generate 'good will' by having older material available for free (rules-free, which just saves WotC on page counts, and costs them nothing), and also lure many more 4e players to the DDi.

I hate to say it, but if every book they put-out had a lot more fluff and it was all put into Web-enhancements on the DDi, the DDi would really take-off. It would also give them a venue to present setting-specific information for each core book (the way Etan's articles used to, or how some of the later 3e splats had the "In the Realms..." sidebars). If they really wanted to put some time and effort into it, they could even present different campaign-specific WE's for each book. That is the optimal solution, I think, with the universal 'crunch' in the hard-copies, and most of the fluff online - thats a win-win for everyone.

That's a good idea... But only if they have enough crunch for each book (wow, I can't believe I typed that! ). With say 64 pages, that's a lot of crunch, unless it's filled with useless stat blocks -- which even some crunch-happy people dislike.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  18:52:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget it is 4e! It will come with 4 pages of feats, 6 of powers, 4 paragon paths, 1 adventure and 8 images. (race book)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  19:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Don't forget it is 4e! It will come with 4 pages of feats, 6 of powers, 4 paragon paths, 1 adventure and 8 images. (race book)

True

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  20:51:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

That leaves 9 pages of filler.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  23:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or really big pictures, with atleast 1 for each section.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  01:32:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack! The tendency for 4e books is for the chapter art to cover 1½ pages.

Don't forget the first and last page tends to be blank, and we could get an ad on the last page (like the 3e books), and the table of contents takes up a page...

That 32 pages is looking more and more meager.

Aren't comic-books thicker then that?

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2009 01:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  03:48:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[SARCASM]They dont want to overload the short attention spans of the intended target audience. shiny[/SARCASM]

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  04:15:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have some of you scribes not tried Pathfinder yet?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  04:26:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

They dont want to overload the short attention spans of the intended target audience. shiny

Hey!

You're not allowed to make fun of anything form WotC! Aren't you a '4e guy', or has that changed?

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2009 04:28:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  06:02:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Unfortunately, I haven't. The printed releases have been awfully slow here, and scattered for the most part. I've lost track of which sourcebooks have been released, as well as which ones I'd want/need.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  06:16:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

They dont want to overload the short attention spans of the intended target audience. shiny

Hey!

You're not allowed to make fun of anything form WotC! Aren't you a '4e guy', or has that changed?

No equal opportunity hater.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  06:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

The rules? No need. The setting? It's not the Forgotten Realms.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000