Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizard's 2010 releases

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kuje Posted - 30 Apr 2009 : 17:05:02
ENworld reports that Amazon has two new books on the catalog.

Underdark and Dragonborn. Underdark is hardcover for 30 dollars and dragonborn is 10 dollars for softcover.

http://www.amazon.com/Underdark-4th-D-Supplement/dp/078695387X/

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Races-Dragonborn-Supplement/dp/0786953861/
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 15 Oct 2009 : 14:30:54
Oooh! The Unknown Regions is one SW sourcebook I've long been waiting for.

*Sets aside the required gold pieces for eventual purchase*
Uzzy Posted - 15 Oct 2009 : 13:41:15
Hmm. Seems that WoTC are going to release a sourcebook for SWSE called 'The Unknown Regions'. I'll post up the blurb for that and the Galaxy of Intrigue book.

Galaxy of Intrigue

Release Date: 19 January 2010

Authors: Rodney Thompson, Eric Cagle, Gary Astleford

Page Count: 224 pages

Official Description: New rules and character options for campaigns laced with intrigue.

The Star Wars galaxy is rife with treachery and intrigue, from the machinations of Darth Sidious and the Bothan Spynet to the secret agendas of the Rebel Alliance and the Empire. This supplement gives players and Gamemasters everything they need to run games and play characters in a galaxy of intrigue.

This book provides new options and gear for nobles and other sly-minded characters, as well as a host of adventure hooks and campaign seeds that can be used to inject elements of intrigue into campaigns of all eras. It also includes rules for running skill challenges.

The Unknown Regions

Release Date: 20 April 2010

Author: Rodney Thompson

Page Count: 224 pages

Official Description: Explore the uncharted regions of the Star Wars galaxy.

Far from the cityscape of Coruscant, beyond the fringe planets of the Outer Rim, lies a vast region of space called the Unknown Regions. The Unknown Regions are mysterious and uncharted. They are home to strange aliens, violent slavers, and the forgotten remnants of ancient civilizations that have lived in isolation for eons.

This sourcebook gives players and Gamemasters everything they need to run and play in campaigns featuring scouts, exploration and adventure in the uncharted reaches of the Star Wars galaxy. The Unknown Regions allows Gamemasters to take their existing campaigns in bold new directions, or this book can be used to jumpstart a new campaign that focuses on exploring the unknown.
Diffan Posted - 10 Oct 2009 : 03:24:04
From what I've read, Ki probably won't show up as a power source now considering there weren't too many classes in 3e with that sorta ability.

I would love to see the Shadow power-based classes like the Dread Necromancer (controller) and Hexblade (defender). But they might just be installments for future DDi articles.

As for further sourcebooks, they still have a LOT to cover "core" wise and with the deletion of Level Adjustments, we could see more monsters turn PC such as the Shadar-Kai and Duergar for example.
Arivia Posted - 07 Jul 2009 : 19:27:25
Psionics will be in it. Probably Shadow, considering its striker (the assassin) is showing up on DDI as exclusive content soon. I would be extremely surprised to see divine classes, considering that any missed roles for divine characters would be covered in Divine Power.
Bluenose Posted - 07 Jul 2009 : 19:04:00
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I agree to some degree. You can run a 4e game with just the classic core rulebooks - I'm doing so right now. The PHBII and similar in 4e, being much better designed and balanced, are much more standard than the way 3e could be hit and miss at times.

In some ways, I like the release schedule because it's doing a fantastic job of catching up DMs and players to where we were at the end of 3e. On the other hand, I am very worried about what will happen in 2011, when the easy plums (so to speak) will all have been picked. While I don't have that much experience, 4e is in much less need of a 4.5 than 3e was, especially with clearer, DCI-style errata.

PHB3 will have psionics in it, which is something coming from all previous editions. What else is hard to say, although a mock-up of the cover had Psionic, Divine and Primal Heroes on the second line, which would be a bit of a surprise if it's accurate. I'd like to see an Illusionist who actually did better illusions than a generalist wizard, or a Necromancer with the same capabilities in necromancy, and they still seem possible. Plus a "mounted warrior" class - if Rangers can have a pet, I don't see any reason not to give me a mount, even if it's more of a Paladin or Fighter build option. But if I'm remembering the other power sources that have been talked about include Shadow, Elemental, Psionics, and Ki (though that seems to be in Red Book status).
Arivia Posted - 07 Jul 2009 : 00:12:13
I agree to some degree. You can run a 4e game with just the classic core rulebooks - I'm doing so right now. The PHBII and similar in 4e, being much better designed and balanced, are much more standard than the way 3e could be hit and miss at times.

In some ways, I like the release schedule because it's doing a fantastic job of catching up DMs and players to where we were at the end of 3e. On the other hand, I am very worried about what will happen in 2011, when the easy plums (so to speak) will all have been picked. While I don't have that much experience, 4e is in much less need of a 4.5 than 3e was, especially with clearer, DCI-style errata.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 23:24:55
My comment was rather aimed at the way the game is released. True enough, it's been 14 years or so since I last played MtG, and although I think the business model is savy, the way the game is released would bug me if I were inclinced to play 4e. At least with any prior edition you had all you basically needed to play in the PHB, DMG, and MM.

As for your comment elsewhere regarding the PGTFR (or whatever it's called), Arivia, I agree, so far there was no sourcebook that was exclusively for the player in terms of lands & lore, which is really sad, and badly needed still... things would be so much easier if my players had a book that gave you the general knowledge for a specific area, much like the AP-player's guides in Pathfinder.
Arivia Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 23:12:11
We've been over this in years past here, but the roles of expansion sets in collectible card games is far different from that of supplements in D&D.

I'll use Magic as an example, since I'm most familiar with it. Very little high-level play in Magic occurs in Type 1 (or Type 1.5), where all cards printed, ever, are allowed. Instead, the majority of it takes place in what's called Standard, which is restricted to the latest core set and a number of expansion sets published around the same time. When a new set or sets comes into Standard, older sets leave (or rotate out.) This process of renewal allows for the inclusion of new strategies and types of play, as play in Standard is restricted by the design of the sets within it. As the reverse of that, removing older sets also removes strategies they allowed for. (Decks in Standard, for example, will be much less diverse in their major classification (colour) when cards are removed allowing for a great diversity across colours. In exchange, decks depending upon smaller numbers of colours will be more powerful with single colours.) Release schedules in Magic, then, are calculated to promote the exchange and renewal of strategies and play techniques. (There can be some limited exceptions to this, like the joke sets of Unglued, or the retroactivity of Coldsnap, but otherwise Wizards' release schedule has been timed to work for Standard for many many years.)

On the other hand, roleplaying games don't have an expiry date attached to their releases. The PHBIII doesn't supplant or replace the 1st or 2nd Player's Handbook, it adds to both of them. Only in the case of campaign settings are they exclusionary, but, again, they don't have expiry dates. In short, while a collectible card game demands replacement and renewal, D&D's expansions work in harmony, each adding to the collective whole. While there can be economies of choice (ie: what class/race do I pick), those economies don't demand change against stagnation like a collectible game does.

While I don't think it's a coincidence that WotC is going for a more consistent release schedule for D&D, saying that it has anything to do with the design of collectible card games is a misnomer and a disgrace to both of them.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 22:26:26
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

If you don't know what the words Standard and Extended mean, don't make that argument.

Hmm?
Arivia Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 21:46:59
If you don't know what the words Standard and Extended mean, don't make that argument.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 21:30:17
Basic sets, expansions, themed expansions...Collectable Cardgames
Basic rules, expanded rules, Campaign settings... hmmm
Arivia Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 20:41:00
That's a little...hasty.
Kuje Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 19:58:54
Player's Handbook 3 has shown up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-4th-Core-Rulebook/dp/078695390X/
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 May 2009 : 03:36:47
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Well, Kreia has been both -- Jedi and Sith.

I'm aware of that.
The Sage Posted - 28 May 2009 : 08:13:50
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

You could be right. However, I did very recently play through the game, and even though Kreia doesn't "reveal" herself until the very end of the game (and I agree that she does tend to throw the PC off), I don't recall a time when she even pretended to be a full-blown *Jedi*. You can even ask her about it pretty early in the game ("Kreia, what are you--are you a Jedi, a Sith?"), to which she says "Does it matter?" and goes on to suggest that she is neither and all that matters is that she is your teacher.
Well, Kreia has been both -- Jedi and Sith. And most of the RPG lore for her character agrees, by giving her both Jedi and Sith-based classes.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 May 2009 : 04:35:58
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the answers anyway. I was just curious, because by the time KotoR 2 takes place, Kreia certainly doesn't consider herself a "Jedi" (or a Sith, for that matter)--the "us" implies that she does.
If I recall correctly, she uttered this phrase when her true allegiance was still a mystery. The use of "us" may simply have been a clever way for her to throw the Jedi Exile even further off the track and to keep her guessing about Kreia's true motives.
quote:
Are you sure the quote wasn't worded like this:

"The Jedi Order is as ancient as time itself. It would take the might of the entire galaxy to strike it down."
I'm fairly certain 'twas worded the way Uzzy first posted above. I'm almost tempted to play through the entire game again just to find where it was first stated.

You could be right. However, I did very recently play through the game, and even though Kreia doesn't "reveal" herself until the very end of the game (and I agree that she does tend to throw the PC off), I don't recall a time when she even pretended to be a full-blown *Jedi*. You can even ask her about it pretty early in the game ("Kreia, what are you--are you a Jedi, a Sith?"), to which she says "Does it matter?" and goes on to suggest that she is neither and all that matters is that she is your teacher.

Again, though, you may be right--if anyone can even vaguely remember when that quote comes up, I'll see if I can find it. :)
Uzzy Posted - 23 May 2009 : 14:54:24
Well, losing limbs is a Star Wars tradition.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 23 May 2009 : 04:35:42
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

There's not that much new lore that I've seen so far in the book. The discussions on how Alter, Control and Sense powers work might be new though.

For some reason I can totally see Aruuna and Dangaurd practicing using the Twin Suns technique . . . and Danguard rolling really badly and loosing a limb . . .
The Sage Posted - 23 May 2009 : 01:26:38
quote:

Thanks for the answers anyway. I was just curious, because by the time KotoR 2 takes place, Kreia certainly doesn't consider herself a "Jedi" (or a Sith, for that matter)--the "us" implies that she does.
If I recall correctly, she uttered this phrase when her true allegiance was still a mystery. The use of "us" may simply have been a clever way for her to throw the Jedi Exile even further off the track and to keep her guessing about Kreia's true motives.
quote:

"The Jedi Order is as ancient as time itself. It would take the might of the entire galaxy to strike it down."
I'm fairly certain 'twas worded the way Uzzy first posted above. I'm almost tempted to play through the entire game again just to find where it was first stated.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 May 2009 : 18:49:25

Uzzy Posted - 22 May 2009 : 16:15:57
There's not that much new lore that I've seen so far in the book. The discussions on how Alter, Control and Sense powers work might be new though.

As for when Kreia said that quote, I'm not entirely sure. A google search just gives me links to the Wookiepedia pages for Order 66, where I found the quote (which itself sources it just to KoTOR 2)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2009 : 06:16:44
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:

quote:

quote:

"The Jedi Order is as ancient as time itself. It would take the might of the entire galaxy to strike us down."

Hey, I'd enjoy discussing Jedi. Bonus points for identifying who said the quote.

That would be Kreia, or, rather, Darth Traya.

I love that character so much.

Although, could you refresh my memory as to when she said that?

On an FR note, I use the concept that the Jedi exist everywhere... and in Faerun, they pose as Eldathyn.

That would explain those lightsaber-wielding druids in that last game session... *hand wave* "You don't want to despoil these woods."

The Sage Posted - 22 May 2009 : 05:16:44
quote:

quote:

quote:

"The Jedi Order is as ancient as time itself. It would take the might of the entire galaxy to strike us down."

Hey, I'd enjoy discussing Jedi. Bonus points for identifying who said the quote.

You know, I just can't remember. 'Tis been a while since I've played through The Sith Lords. Sorry.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 22 May 2009 : 05:07:47
quote:

quote:

quote:

On an FR note, I use the concept that the Jedi exist everywhere... and in Faerun, they pose as Eldathyn.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 May 2009 : 04:09:33
quote:

quote:

The Sage Posted - 22 May 2009 : 00:49:45
Any new info revealed that we didn't already know about? Perhaps some expanded material from such past tomes like Power of the Jedi and/or Jedi vs. Sith, the Essential Guide to the Force for example.
Uzzy Posted - 22 May 2009 : 00:38:15
Bonus points for Sage! She is, naturally, the coolest 'evil' old lady in all fiction. Damn KoTOR 2 had some good plot.

In other news, I got the Jedi Academy Training Manual today. It's worth it just for the picture of Mara Jade Skywalker. There's also a surprisingly good amount of fluff within the book, focusing on philosophy and planets.
The Sage Posted - 22 May 2009 : 00:31:50
quote:

Uzzy Posted - 21 May 2009 : 22:27:59

Faraer Posted - 21 May 2009 : 20:02:54
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Yeah, I've read those guidelines. I've actually read the entire document, as well as the guidelines of several of the individual regions, and, as I said, over twenty of the actual modules to see how they're implemented in practice.
Do they contradict their own stated opposite-of-the-Realms', Nergal-echoing design intent?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000