Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon #366
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  23:13:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The ToC for the new Dragon is up. Looks like there are four Realms articles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/366

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Aug 2008 23:14:18

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  23:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting a dead link right now, the WotC site must be down or just hate me, I am really not sure which any more.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  00:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problems accessing the site here. From the TOC:

Rose Keep: A Red Wizard Enclave
By Bruce R. Cordell
The Red Wizards were once a highly coordinated group, but those days are gone. Look inside one of the new Red Wizard enclaves here.

Gontal
By Bruce R. Cordell and Ed Greenwood
The Realms of 4th Edition have new life this month. The region of Gontal, previously unexplored, is detailed here.

Design & Development:The 100-Year Leap
By Phil Athans and Bruce R. Cordell
Phil and Bruce discuss the philosophy behind the Forgotten Realms timeline shift, as well as other critical decisions regarding the new Realms.

RPGA Report
By Chris Tulach
This month, Chris tells us more about the Living Forgotten Realms campaign

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 02 Aug 2008 00:02:55
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird. I can see the list of the articles, but I can't click on them and read them.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Weird. I can see the list of the articles, but I can't click on them and read them.
This list is the Table of Contents for the upcoming Dragon 366. As articles go "live," they will activate the links on the table of contents page, until the entire issue is complete.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  04:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aha. That would explain it. Thanks, Garen.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  05:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

No problems accessing the site here. From the TOC:

Rose Keep: A Red Wizard Enclave
By Bruce R. Cordell
The Red Wizards were once a highly coordinated group, but those days are gone. Look inside one of the new Red Wizard enclaves here.

Gontal
By Bruce R. Cordell and Ed Greenwood
The Realms of 4th Edition have new life this month. The region of Gontal, previously unexplored, is detailed here.

Phil and Bruce discuss the philosophy behind the Forgotten Realms timeline shift, as well as other critical decisions regarding the new Realms.

RPGA Report
By Chris Tulach
This month, Chris tells us more about the Living Forgotten Realms campaign

Red Wizards were cooler as evil magic merchants, Gontal sounds like an STD, they shifted the Realms because they were too incompetent to make subtle changes and the LFR can die.

There we go. Saved everyone the wait for the next set of articles.

Edited by - Uzzy on 02 Aug 2008 05:21:44
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  11:02:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I never liked the Enclave and trading focus on the Red Wizards, so that is one thing I would not miss.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  13:33:58  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where is Gontal?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  13:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

where is Gontal?
My guess is that it's one of the lands introduced by the Spellplague. Whether it's on Faerūn proper, or Returned Abeir, or somewhere else, I have no idea.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  14:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gontal ... previously unexplored? Previously non-existing would be more to the point. I mean, you'd really hard pressed to find a place on this planet unexplored after 30,000 odd years of civilization (which utilizes magic for long spells).

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  18:53:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at first it seemed like some pre-Spellplague obscure land that never got described

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  19:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*waits patiently for Kiaransalyn's parody of this one*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  21:15:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first I thought that Gontal was indeed a previously unexplored (undetailed?) region, but now I'm leaning towards another piece of Abeir that got s__t out onto the Realms.

Could be Maztica's replacement, even.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well I never liked the Enclave and trading focus on the Red Wizards, so that is one thing I would not miss.

Sad to say - they went even more in that direction in 4e, it appears.

Thay is no longer run by the Red Wizards - Szass Tam has either killed, enslaved, or exiled all the rest, and Thay is now Toril's Plateau of Leng.

The Red Wizards that do still exist ONLY run enclaves - they have lost their Home-base, and the enclaves are ALL thats left of the Red Wizards (as we knew them).

So they took a bad idea and ran with it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  17:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now that's the one I'm looking forward to.

Will I enjoy any of these articles, even a bit?

Time will tell. Sooner or later, time will tell.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Aug 2008 17:52:33
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Critical" would be the operative word that I am pretty sure that most of the community here will not agree with.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  05:40:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now I'm trying to see the glass half-full.

Okay... maybe 1/10 full.

1/100th full?

WORK with me, people....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  14:17:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Right now I'm trying to see the glass half-full.

Okay... maybe 1/10 full.

1/100th full?

WORK with me, people....

It once contained liquid that may or may not have been water.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  07:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

where is Gontal?
My guess is that it's one of the lands introduced by the Spellplague. Whether it's on Faerūn proper, or Returned Abeir, or somewhere else, I have no idea.

Didnt one of Bruce COrdells novels feature an "Aboriginalesque" character who was from a place outside Faerun that started with G?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  08:29:06  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Didnt one of Bruce COrdells novels feature an "Aboriginalesque" character who was from a place outside Faerun that started with G?

The characters name started with a 'G' - Gungarri.

I'm not sure that his place of origin was ever named. I recall he was referred to as a tattooed warrior from far away...but no more detail than that.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  08:40:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

quote:

The characters name started with a 'G' - Gungarri.

I'm not sure that his place of origin was ever named. I recall he was referred to as a tattooed warrior from far away...but no more detail than that.

The novel was Lady of Poison -- part of "The Priests" series. And the "place outside Faerūn" was Osse.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  05:30:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageAnd the "place outside Faerūn" was Osse.

-Just wanted to come out of lurking here long enough to highlight Sage saying this. He knows how it is. Only for you, Sage, only for you.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  06:12:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you Dagnirion. You've now shown that I can find no peace from the curse that is Osse. Not even here at my beloved Candlekeep!

I suppose I should just probably go ahead and petition Alaundo to change all the "Australia" location devices in our profiles to Osstralia. Would you prefer that?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  14:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I suppose I should just probably go ahead and petition Alaundo to change all the "Australia" location devices in our profiles to Osstralia. Would you prefer that?

No! I prefer "Australia", and I can't wait to visit there (eventually).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  15:16:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'd better prepare things then.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000