Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Morkoths
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  07:48:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master LordofBones,

I honestly do not understand why so many unusual developments, at least anecdotally, exist with the push to 5e. It is honestly very, very strange.

I mean, beyond what appears to be the real reason: WotC is trying to be as generic as possible to limit offending one customer segment over another, which is my only guess to date.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  10:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aarakocra as servants of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa? I guess that one is feasible...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 22 Nov 2020 10:17:48
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

201 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  16:41:36  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Aarakocra as servants of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa? I guess that one is feasible...

5e jas a bit of a policy of 'information only appears once' and I don't think the Wind Dukes and rod pf 7 parts aopears elsewhere in the 5e rulebooks. They put it in the monster manual for representation, as they likely had nothing else for the Aaracockroa before elemental evil released and put it there to spice up the first entry in the book.

Also, what changes specifically make the morkoth seem more generic? I haven't seen anyone point out indovidual ideas from the 5e entry. Is it the astral background? The legendary status? The island warping? The hoarding?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34169 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  17:21:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master LordofBones,

I honestly do not understand why so many unusual developments, at least anecdotally, exist with the push to 5e. It is honestly very, very strange.

I mean, beyond what appears to be the real reason: WotC is trying to be as generic as possible to limit offending one customer segment over another, which is my only guess to date.

Best regards,

I think it's because they've got designers with "kewl" ideas and absolutely no respect for (and possibly no awareness of!) that which came before.

To paraphrase Ian Malcolm: "Your designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didnít stop to think if they should."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Nov 2020 17:24:05
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  17:27:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

quote:
I think it's because they've got designers with "kewl" ideas and absolutely no respect for (and possibly no awareness of!) that which came before. To paraphrase Ian Malcolm: "Your designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didnít stop to think if they should."

hahaha... you should consider asking Master Alaundo if he could add in another emoticon: one for dropping a mic and walking away! ;)

That was great.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3451 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  17:31:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Do Beholders dream of electric sheep?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of FaerŻn
Vol I- The Elves of FaerŻn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4509 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  17:59:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think it's because they've got designers with "kewl" ideas and absolutely no respect for (and possibly no awareness of!) that which came before.

To paraphrase Ian Malcolm: "Your designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didnít stop to think if they should."

You meam this one?

ďThey're both technicians. They have what I call 'thintelligence'. They see the immediate situation. They think narrowly and they call it 'being focused'. They don't see the surround. They don't see the consequences.Ē
#8213; Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  18:13:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

quote:

In a vacuum, it sounds like a good idea. Though, it begs the question: was there anything else that showed the Wind Dukes staying around with any form of influence? As far as I know, there is nothing else after the Battle of Pesh. It seemed like the primordials were everywhere doing their thing and eventually the Dukes went back, it looks like.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000