Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Raven's Bluff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AJA
Seeker

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2017 :  19:41:14  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm thinking Ed really got punchy for names.

I'm thinking you should go back and look at the author of FR9.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4920 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  02:21:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, so I was curious, because I hadn't really looked at the old 2nd edition maps on a lot of stuff for a while... and since Markustay mentioned the bloodstone lands maps saying ravensgate.... figured what the hell, take a look.

There's a place west of Filur called "Pick'N'Axe".
There's a place northeast of Filur called "Outentown".
I'm also wondering how many parties went up to "Hoarbridge" before they realized the spelling was wrong.

None of those names come from Ed. They are either the creation of the TSR staff, R A Salvatore, or both.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  05:30:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worse than 'Hammer and Anvil', or the 'Halfway Inn'.

I don't mind funny names for places - I can see proprietors and locals wanting that just to make their places memorable. But silly names for characters in annoying, IMO. Who names their kid 'Pickle'?

Wish I had a copy of that map - might be some goodies on there I haven't seen before (ya never know).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  14:23:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Hmmm, so I was curious, because I hadn't really looked at the old 2nd edition maps on a lot of stuff for a while... and since Markustay mentioned the bloodstone lands maps saying ravensgate.... figured what the hell, take a look.

There's a place west of Filur called "Pick'N'Axe".
There's a place northeast of Filur called "Outentown".
I'm also wondering how many parties went up to "Hoarbridge" before they realized the spelling was wrong.

None of those names come from Ed. They are either the creation of the TSR staff, R A Salvatore, or both.

-- George Krashos

True... and that does seem very Salvatore'esque. So many of his names just make me shake my head.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  14:43:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No worse than 'Hammer and Anvil', or the 'Halfway Inn'.

I don't mind funny names for places - I can see proprietors and locals wanting that just to make their places memorable. But silly names for characters in annoying, IMO. Who names their kid 'Pickle'?

Wish I had a copy of that map - might be some goodies on there I haven't seen before (ya never know).

Oddly enough, in real life, I know a guy who goes by the name "Pickle". It started out apparently when his boy scout leader told him he was about as "useful as a Picklescoop". He embraced the name fully, to the point that he has a website that he blogs on called www.picklescoop.com ... and if you ever just feel like a silly pick me up, go there. I even went to a comic-con in New Orleans a few years ago, and in comes walking my friend dressed as "Picklescoop" the superhero (I will note that the distinctive curve of a pickle makes for a very ... um... let's call it "manly" image).

Anyway, not really realms related... so.... ummmm, who has heard of the spell "storm of pickles".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14387 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  03:03:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a math teacher in 9th grade (I think I spooked him a little) who said I was always in 'the Twilight Zone' (I constantly just stared out the window, ignoring everything in class, but if called upon I always knew the answer... I think I spooked everybody LOL). Anyhow, the kids in my math class started calling me 'Twilight', and then everyone else did (including a couple of teachers), and for the next four year i was 'Twilight'.

I guess that was somewhat better than junior high, where everyone called me 'sleepy' because I fell asleep in class once.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000