Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ascension of Gwaeron Windstrom
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamesewelch
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2019 :  16:20:19  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In canon, Gwaeron became a demigod after killing an avatar and several manifestations of Malar. However, there's no year associated those events.

Does anyone have any idea or a rough estimate of the century when this may have occurred? Or at least "sometime before X"?

The best I can find is "many centuries ago."

thanks

Edited by - jamesewelch on 10 Apr 2019 16:23:39

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5492 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  01:57:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's as good as it is going to get.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  16:20:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a golden opportunity to make up the date to suit your own campaign's needs.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1387 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  17:32:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

In canon, Gwaeron became a demigod after killing an avatar and several manifestations of Malar. However, there's no year associated those events.

Does anyone have any idea or a rough estimate of the century when this may have occurred? Or at least "sometime before X"?

The best I can find is "many centuries ago."

thanks



In general, I would caution about tying deific events to the mortal calendar. For the same reason we never gave a date for the Dawn Cataclysm, it brings the gods down to a mortal level to tie them to a linear timeline.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  17:42:28  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
In general, I would caution about tying deific events to the mortal calendar. For the same reason we never gave a date for the Dawn Cataclysm, it brings the gods down to a mortal level to tie them to a linear timeline.

--Eric



Thanks. Gwaeron was a mortal at that time (when he killed an avatar of Malar and several manifestions) that's why I was wondering if there was a date or an "Age of" or something more than "many, many centuries ago" (otherwise it could be "many, many millenniums ago").
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4525 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  17:56:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe gwaerom was around when the north was still a frontier land so it seems sometime after the fall of Netheril is a good bet.

I'm working on Malar being from the jhaamdath region before he was a god, and so he headed north following the dark three sometime after jhaamdaths fall. To make the date even more specific I have the dark three ascend after the sharn erect the sharnwall and Malar is involved in their ascension so gwaerom ascension could be tied after that date.

But my musings about the gods are very much apocryphal so take what you will.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 11 Apr 2019 18:57:33
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1387 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I believe gwaerom was around when the north was still a frontier land so it seems sometime after the fall of Netheril is a good bet.

I'm working on Malar being from the jhaamdath region before he was a god, and so he headed north following the dark three sometime after jhaamdaths fall. To make the date even more specific I have the dark three ascend after the sharn erect the sharnwall and Malar is involved in their ascension so gwaerom ascension could be tied after that date.

But my musings about the gods are very much apocryphal so take what you will.



I agree that when the deific event intersects with the mortal world, there's more temptation to pin it down in the timeline. But there again, that's putting a mortal perspective on the divine.

For all we know, in this particular example, is there were multiple battles at multiple sites and at multiple points in time when some aspect of Gwaeron Windstrom battled some aspect of Malar in the mortal world, marking his ascension from the mortal to the divine.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  19:25:25  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know that the battles "were in quick succession", but "quick" can mean a bunch of things relative to the entire timeline. I thought 'quick' in terms of a mortal human (Gwaeron) would be quick as we understand it (meaning all of the battles were at least within a typical human lifespan).

I think sometime in the early part of the Age of Humanity seems the best logical time for those events to occur.

Edited by - jamesewelch on 11 Apr 2019 19:26:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000