Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ascension of Gwaeron Windstrom

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamesewelch Posted - 10 Apr 2019 : 16:20:19
In canon, Gwaeron became a demigod after killing an avatar and several manifestations of Malar. However, there's no year associated those events.

Does anyone have any idea or a rough estimate of the century when this may have occurred? Or at least "sometime before X"?

The best I can find is "many centuries ago."

thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 01:01:06
Learned Scribe jameswelch,

I honestly feel it is better to look at it like Eric and others are offering: only the gods know. That mystery is great.

I mean, look......you're dying to know right now! ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
In general, I would caution about tying deific events to the mortal calendar. For the same reason we never gave a date for the Dawn Cataclysm, it brings the gods down to a mortal level to tie them to a linear timeline.

--Eric

Thanks. Gwaeron was a mortal at that time (when he killed an avatar of Malar and several manifestions) that's why I was wondering if there was a date or an "Age of" or something more than "many, many centuries ago" (otherwise it could be "many, many millenniums ago").

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 00:52:54
Eric,

Awesome! I completely frickin' agree. I make the gods in my campaign way less bitchy, and more "I'm truckin' through the neighborhood, doing my godly things...."

The gods should be above such mortal confines as time, space, etc.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

In canon, Gwaeron became a demigod after killing an avatar and several manifestations of Malar. However, there's no year associated those events.

Does anyone have any idea or a rough estimate of the century when this may have occurred? Or at least "sometime before X"?

thanks

In general, I would caution about tying deific events to the mortal calendar. For the same reason we never gave a date for the Dawn Cataclysm, it brings the gods down to a mortal level to tie them to a linear timeline.

--Eric

jamesewelch Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 19:25:25
We know that the battles "were in quick succession", but "quick" can mean a bunch of things relative to the entire timeline. I thought 'quick' in terms of a mortal human (Gwaeron) would be quick as we understand it (meaning all of the battles were at least within a typical human lifespan).

I think sometime in the early part of the Age of Humanity seems the best logical time for those events to occur.
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 19:18:41
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I believe gwaerom was around when the north was still a frontier land so it seems sometime after the fall of Netheril is a good bet.

I'm working on Malar being from the jhaamdath region before he was a god, and so he headed north following the dark three sometime after jhaamdaths fall. To make the date even more specific I have the dark three ascend after the sharn erect the sharnwall and Malar is involved in their ascension so gwaerom ascension could be tied after that date.

But my musings about the gods are very much apocryphal so take what you will.

I agree that when the deific event intersects with the mortal world, there's more temptation to pin it down in the timeline. But there again, that's putting a mortal perspective on the divine.

For all we know, in this particular example, is there were multiple battles at multiple sites and at multiple points in time when some aspect of Gwaeron Windstrom battled some aspect of Malar in the mortal world, marking his ascension from the mortal to the divine.
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 17:56:14
I believe gwaerom was around when the north was still a frontier land so it seems sometime after the fall of Netheril is a good bet.

I'm working on Malar being from the jhaamdath region before he was a god, and so he headed north following the dark three sometime after jhaamdaths fall. To make the date even more specific I have the dark three ascend after the sharn erect the sharnwall and Malar is involved in their ascension so gwaerom ascension could be tied after that date.

But my musings about the gods are very much apocryphal so take what you will.
jamesewelch Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 17:42:28
quote:

--Eric

Thanks. Gwaeron was a mortal at that time (when he killed an avatar of Malar and several manifestions) that's why I was wondering if there was a date or an "Age of" or something more than "many, many centuries ago" (otherwise it could be "many, many millenniums ago").
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 17:32:24
quote:

thanks

--Eric
Dalor Darden Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 16:20:38
This is a golden opportunity to make up the date to suit your own campaign's needs.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 01:57:31
That's as good as it is going to get.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000