Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Portals to Earth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was planning on sending the pcs through a portal into earth, along with Halaster (Whom they are in combat with. I plan to finsih the story I have been on like this). Has it ever been stated if one existed, or where? Or will I have to make it up myself?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:20:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Holdout in Realmspace has a portal to Ed's study and library at his home and to Yellowstone in 1894.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jan 2007 03:22:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:25:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additionally, both Ed and THO in their replies here at Candlekeep, have told us that there are Realms portals to Earth, but that it is the D&D interpretation of our world.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:30:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric also said that he meant the slaves brought to the eastern countries to be from ancient Egypt of Earth.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 07 Jan 2007 03:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I suppose it would be fun to have Halaster and a group of adventurers burst into Ed's study and do battle
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  03:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is going to have a rather large mess to clean up, if there is anything left of the study- or house!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  04:48:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not FR-specific, but Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs had to go thru a portal to recover the Mace of Cuthbert. The Mace was, as I recall, in a museum in modern-day London (I can't check, because I'm not on my home PC).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  05:59:23  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I am almost certain that is the correct issue Wooly! :)

It had such a beautiful cover too!

IIRC it has been stated that the Knights have made it to this D&D influenced version of Earth, but I dont know if it was Yellowstone of old, Ed's study - or somewhere else. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  06:07:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

IIRC it has been stated that the Knights have made it to this D&D influenced version of Earth...
Yes, THO told this a while back.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  06:13:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Ed talked about portal connections between Toril and Earth many times in his '04 replies.

Ed tinkers around with a few good portal ideas Nokom, so you might want to consider taking a look.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jan 2007 06:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  18:32:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not FR-specific, but Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs had to go thru a portal to recover the Mace of Cuthbert. The Mace was, as I recall, in a museum in modern-day London (I can't check, because I'm not on my home PC).

Wooly, that is entirely correct. It is in DRAGON issue #100, called 'The City Beyond the Gate' and was designed by Robert Schroeck.

Also related is to the subject is the article 'Modern monsters: The perils of 20th-century adventuring' by Ed himself found in issue #57 of DRAGON Magazine.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  22:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, if sending Fantasy RP-Characters into RL-Earth would spoil the whole flair of the Fantasy Game. Why not send them into the planes, Sigil, or simply another Prime Material World?

By the Way, according to the Stardock Adventure, Halaster rapidly ages, when he leaves Undermountain. If I would be PC and Halaster would be trapped in another world, I would just wait a few weeks and then plunder the body of Halaster (when he died of old age...) Why bother a fight, when he dies anyway?

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  23:21:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember though, as Ed said, there are Realms portals to Earth, but that it is the D&D interpretation of our world. So while the PCs would be heading to Earth, it would be fantasy Earth, and not exactly like our own.

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  00:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be remembering a portal from Earth to Toril(or something) via a rollar coaster...But that's not quite the same as to Earth from the Realms.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  01:47:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

I'm not sure, if sending Fantasy RP-Characters into RL-Earth would spoil the whole flair of the Fantasy Game. Why not send them into the planes, Sigil, or simply another Prime Material World?

Well, for one thing, when Dragon 100 was released, no one had dreamed up Sigil.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  02:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall the roller coster came from the old toonie :P

Fixed spelling error

Edited by - Nokom on 08 Jan 2007 17:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  02:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now... What to do about Halaster ageging... Hmm... I suppose rather than have him go through the portal... I suppose I could have Warduke the bounty hunter go. he has been chasing the pcs for a while. A "small" bounty of 50000 gold got posted on their heads when they ran into some "trouble" in Amn..
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  15:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

If I recall the roler coster came from the old toonie :P

*ahem*

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  07:46:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your PCs can take on Halaster?!

Anyhow, I would send them somewhere a little more interesting then Ed's study (sorry Ed), like Hef's mansion!

He's the man who has everything, so he's got to have a portal somewhere (bottom of a hottub?). And I'm sure Elminster would have been more then happy to set one up for him.

Seriously for a moment, having an ancient Imaskari portal somewhere in the mountains between the Shaar and the Raurin might be the better way to go, especially if it still led to ANCIENT egypt. If it leads to modern egypt then characters will probably be arrested as terrorists.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  19:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went great. The pcs went through a portal to D&D earth, Yellowstone (Which is not your everday park in D&D earth!) did battle with Warduke, while Elminster fought Halaster inside Undermountain. The pcs went back through the portal, and to make the story short Warduke ended up falling into a pit of spikes. Halaster, however, escaped.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  21:12:10  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the second edition Ravenloft expansion "Masque of the red death". This expansion set was the earth in +-1890. It was our world with a dark gothic feeling and with strange monsters (lycanthropes, doppelgangers and even Dr Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula ...). There is also a ravenloft domain called Odiare that originally was on earth (Italy) and was drawn by the mist of ravenloft. (just like the mist abducted persons and took places from Faerūn.) With that in mind you can be sure there is the possibility to make portals from faerūn to the earth (most of the time I think they will work in one way faerūn --> earth).

Myself I made a "wink" to earth in a campaign session many years ago. My players played an adventure in a haunted mansion somewhere in the dagger hills that appeared once in a few months. After defeating the evil necromancer and freed the spirit of the lady. The lady told her that the house orriginally was located in Italy, somewhere in europe. (The characters where confused because they never heard about a location called I talli en uurope ;-).

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  17:16:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of any other specific portals to Earth from the Realms or is the contents of this scroll pretty much still it?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000