Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Portals to Earth?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nokom Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:19:09
I was planning on sending the pcs through a portal into earth, along with Halaster (Whom they are in combat with. I plan to finsih the story I have been on like this). Has it ever been stated if one existed, or where? Or will I have to make it up myself?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 17 Apr 2019 : 17:16:03
Anyone know of any other specific portals to Earth from the Realms or is the contents of this scroll pretty much still it?
boddynock Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 21:12:10
I remember the second edition Ravenloft expansion "Masque of the red death". This expansion set was the earth in +-1890. It was our world with a dark gothic feeling and with strange monsters (lycanthropes, doppelgangers and even Dr Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula ...). There is also a ravenloft domain called Odiare that originally was on earth (Italy) and was drawn by the mist of ravenloft. (just like the mist abducted persons and took places from Faerūn.) With that in mind you can be sure there is the possibility to make portals from faerūn to the earth (most of the time I think they will work in one way faerūn --> earth).

Myself I made a "wink" to earth in a campaign session many years ago. My players played an adventure in a haunted mansion somewhere in the dagger hills that appeared once in a few months. After defeating the evil necromancer and freed the spirit of the lady. The lady told her that the house orriginally was located in Italy, somewhere in europe. (The characters where confused because they never heard about a location called I talli en uurope ;-).

Nokom Posted - 09 Jan 2007 : 19:58:45
Went great. The pcs went through a portal to D&D earth, Yellowstone (Which is not your everday park in D&D earth!) did battle with Warduke, while Elminster fought Halaster inside Undermountain. The pcs went back through the portal, and to make the story short Warduke ended up falling into a pit of spikes. Halaster, however, escaped.
Markustay Posted - 09 Jan 2007 : 07:46:26
Your PCs can take on Halaster?!

Anyhow, I would send them somewhere a little more interesting then Ed's study (sorry Ed), like Hef's mansion!

He's the man who has everything, so he's got to have a portal somewhere (bottom of a hottub?). And I'm sure Elminster would have been more then happy to set one up for him.

Seriously for a moment, having an ancient Imaskari portal somewhere in the mountains between the Shaar and the Raurin might be the better way to go, especially if it still led to ANCIENT egypt. If it leads to modern egypt then characters will probably be arrested as terrorists.
Aglaranna Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 15:33:23
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

If I recall the roler coster came from the old toonie :P

*ahem*
Nokom Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 02:39:51
Now... What to do about Halaster ageging... Hmm... I suppose rather than have him go through the portal... I suppose I could have Warduke the bounty hunter go. he has been chasing the pcs for a while. A "small" bounty of 50000 gold got posted on their heads when they ran into some "trouble" in Amn..
Nokom Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 02:27:20
If I recall the roller coster came from the old toonie :P

Fixed spelling error
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 01:47:13
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

I'm not sure, if sending Fantasy RP-Characters into RL-Earth would spoil the whole flair of the Fantasy Game. Why not send them into the planes, Sigil, or simply another Prime Material World?

Well, for one thing, when Dragon 100 was released, no one had dreamed up Sigil.
Aglaranna Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 00:11:38
I seem to be remembering a portal from Earth to Toril(or something) via a rollar coaster...But that's not quite the same as to Earth from the Realms.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 23:21:31
Remember though, as Ed said, there are Realms portals to Earth, but that it is the D&D interpretation of our world. So while the PCs would be heading to Earth, it would be fantasy Earth, and not exactly like our own.
Iliphar1 Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 22:06:39
I'm not sure, if sending Fantasy RP-Characters into RL-Earth would spoil the whole flair of the Fantasy Game. Why not send them into the planes, Sigil, or simply another Prime Material World?

By the Way, according to the Stardock Adventure, Halaster rapidly ages, when he leaves Undermountain. If I would be PC and Halaster would be trapped in another world, I would just wait a few weeks and then plunder the body of Halaster (when he died of old age...) Why bother a fight, when he dies anyway?
Ergdusch Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 18:32:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not FR-specific, but Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs had to go thru a portal to recover the Mace of Cuthbert. The Mace was, as I recall, in a museum in modern-day London (I can't check, because I'm not on my home PC).

Wooly, that is entirely correct. It is in DRAGON issue #100, called 'The City Beyond the Gate' and was designed by Robert Schroeck.

Also related is to the subject is the article 'Modern monsters: The perils of 20th-century adventuring' by Ed himself found in issue #57 of DRAGON Magazine.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 06:13:15
Also, Ed talked about portal connections between Toril and Earth many times in his '04 replies.

Ed tinkers around with a few good portal ideas Nokom, so you might want to consider taking a look.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 06:07:00
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

IIRC it has been stated that the Knights have made it to this D&D influenced version of Earth...
Yes, THO told this a while back.
Dhomal Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 05:59:23
Hello-

I am almost certain that is the correct issue Wooly! :)

It had such a beautiful cover too!

IIRC it has been stated that the Knights have made it to this D&D influenced version of Earth, but I dont know if it was Yellowstone of old, Ed's study - or somewhere else. :)

Dhomal
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 04:48:24
It's not FR-specific, but Dragon 100 had an adventure where the PCs had to go thru a portal to recover the Mace of Cuthbert. The Mace was, as I recall, in a museum in modern-day London (I can't check, because I'm not on my home PC).
Nokom Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:43:18
Ed is going to have a rather large mess to clean up, if there is anything left of the study- or house!
Nokom Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:34:26
Interesting. I suppose it would be fun to have Halaster and a group of adventurers burst into Ed's study and do battle
Kuje Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:30:30
Eric also said that he meant the slaves brought to the eastern countries to be from ancient Egypt of Earth.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:25:57
Additionally, both Ed and THO in their replies here at Candlekeep, have told us that there are Realms portals to Earth, but that it is the D&D interpretation of our world.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 03:20:54
Elminster's Holdout in Realmspace has a portal to Ed's study and library at his home and to Yellowstone in 1894.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000