Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fzoul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  18:00:06  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always like the character.

He felt like the only competent villain during the period where the heroes had to win.

He assisted the pcs in numerous occasions to deal with bigger evils (see Curse of the Azure Bonds).

He brought back his own god.

He became the chosen of Bane because of his devotion.

since he was killed by the Netheril, he has become Bane's avatar.

If he weren't a villain, he'd be a dang hero.

I wanted to see if he had been updated in 5e and/or any ideas on how to use him for an adventure path.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

nblanton
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2016 :  23:07:45  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. I always like Fzoul.

I did think some of his character went downhill after he took over the Zhentarim. I liked it better when he was in background and Manshoon was running his organization.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  03:00:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul for President.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  03:17:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A competent, reasonable evil person is always more interesting to me than Insane Villain #4 or Evil-for-Evil's-Sake cliché #17.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  05:42:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could not disagree more... Fzoul's life story never made any sense if you ask me. He was a powerful, but only moderately so cleric who repeatedly switches his allegiance from god to god - and they are so poorly written that they just keep rewarding him with more power so he can (in the next edition) turn coat again. :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul was another interesting NPC with potential - which unfortunately suffered as a result of some of the BIG-REALMS-CHANGES that impacted the setting in the latter 3e-era.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  15:03:33  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Fzoul ended up a Demigod of sorts, one of the Exarchs.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  15:59:10  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought we would be getting more Fzoul focus. He's an amazing villain, and 4e really made it seem like they were prepping Bane for a major run. Bane strongarmed Tiamat, bullied Hoar, took over the goblin pantheon, and ended up with 4 or 5 full fledged gods serving him as exarchs. Plus his main enemy Cyric was incarcerated in the Supreme Throne for 1,000 years.

Oh, and since Bane helped Szass Tam take over Thay, only Bane can be worshipped there. So Bane has several HUGE victories in 4e, seemingly setting him up to be center stage in 5e after Shar, Lolth, and Asmodeus are done hogging the spotlight. Even with his longtime allies Bhaal and Myrkul back, Bane seems to be doing nothing.

I feel as though the war against Bane's resurgent followers, or a plot to foil one of his schemes, should be a 5e adventure. They are totally sidelining the Black Hand, and by extension his servant Fzoul.

Btw, whatever happened to Scyulla Darkhope? She was awesome too.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  17:59:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scyllua was killed off in the shadowdale adventure at the end of 3e. Such a waste but then that is a continuing theme of late.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  20:44:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I thought we would be getting more Fzoul focus. He's an amazing villain, and 4e really made it seem like they were prepping Bane for a major run. Bane strongarmed Tiamat, bullied Hoar, took over the goblin pantheon, and ended up with 4 or 5 full fledged gods serving him as exarchs. Plus his main enemy Cyric was incarcerated in the Supreme Throne for 1,000 years.

Oh, and since Bane helped Szass Tam take over Thay, only Bane can be worshipped there. So Bane has several HUGE victories in 4e, seemingly setting him up to be center stage in 5e after Shar, Lolth, and Asmodeus are done hogging the spotlight. Even with his longtime allies Bhaal and Myrkul back, Bane seems to be doing nothing.

I feel as though the war against Bane's resurgent followers, or a plot to foil one of his schemes, should be a 5e adventure. They are totally sidelining the Black Hand, and by extension his servant Fzoul.

Xvim has done pretty well for himself since taking over his dad's name and position.

(Note: that's not officially stated anywhere, it's my interpretation of a lot of hints scattered throughout 3E material)

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  21:09:41  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Xvim has done pretty well for himself since taking over his dad's name and position.

(Note: that's not officially stated anywhere, it's my interpretation of a lot of hints scattered throughout 3E material)

You mean before Cyric grew tired of him, murdered him and since then pretends to be the reborn Bane?

Edited by - Mirtek on 28 Sep 2016 21:10:08
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  23:27:33  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
please can the political speak and get back on topic. :(

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Fzoul was another interesting NPC with potential - which unfortunately suffered as a result of some of the BIG-REALMS-CHANGES that impacted the setting in the latter 3e-era.

In the 2e era, I think there was an unofficial mandate to keep any non magic user character under 20th level.

It has been a while, but I'm scratching my head to remember one.

Edited by - shades of eternity on 28 Sep 2016 23:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  23:29:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a female Zhent Agent in Storm King Thunder with the last name of Darkhope. Could she be related to Scyulla Darkhope in some way?

I was never really impressed with Fzoul myself...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  02:33:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's keep the real world politics out of this, please. I've just removed a couple of posts because of that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  02:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

quote:

You mean before Cyric grew tired of him, murdered him and since then pretends to be the reborn Bane?

Seriously, there were a lot of hints in 3E material that Bane 2.0 was either full-on Iyachtu Xvim or some amalgam of Bane 1.0 and Xvim.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  06:00:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been a fan of Wooly's take on all that, but considering whats been said here (Lilianviaten's points), it almost seems more probably now that that guy ISN'T actually Bane.

Inheriting all of 'Dads stuff', and then just lying back and chillin' does seem like something a spoiled adolescent would do.

{Somewhere in 'Banes Crib')
Myrkul: "So when are we going to take over the world?"
Bane: "Relax, dude, its all good. I got you covered - I scored some Mulhorandi Mauve last night... the stuff's off the hook! Who's going on a Mead Run?"
Bhaal: {raises hand}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Sep 2016 06:01:21
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  12:18:23  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great now I have this visual that these three big scarry gods gone cruising.

and since we don't have a good pic of them, I'll substitute this classic pic.

https://media.giphy.com/media/kiw9xI9rHglri/giphy.gif
:D

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  14:00:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

please can the political speak and get back on topic. :(

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In the 2e era, I think there was an unofficial mandate to keep any non magic user character under 20th level.

It has been a while, but I'm scratching my head to remember one.

Fzoul had some rather unique situations to negotiate during, and after, 2e -- not the least of which was the death of his god and the fall of Zhentil Keep. I would accept that such enduring and struggles should be reflected in his stat's, for sure, but not to the extent that we saw in mid-3e.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Sep 2016 14:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  15:20:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I think Fzoul ended up a Demigod of sorts, one of the Exarchs.

Yeah, I think he would be a better banelich. In 2E days, they were almost a demipower unto themselves, maybe that's what he will be.
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  16:14:24  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus I always liked how the God of Tyranny was able to control one of the more antisocial beings on the planet: the beholders.

I could easily see a couple of them acting as bodyguards for Fzoul.

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  16:56:58  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Could not disagree more... Fzoul's life story never made any sense if you ask me. He was a powerful, but only moderately so cleric who repeatedly switches his allegiance from god to god - and they are so poorly written that they just keep rewarding him with more power so he can (in the next edition) turn coat again. :P

I was always under the impression that Fzoul was insanely powerful, otherwise how would he keep Manshoon in check?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  17:38:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

I was always under the impression that Fzoul was insanely powerful, otherwise how would he keep Manshoon in check?

I would expect that it's not just personal power in the form of levels... I would expect it to be alliances with other powerful types, political power, personal power, and the power of the church at his back.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  17:47:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't call the way Fzoul shifted deities to be that much of a shift in allegiance... As I recall, he went from Bane, to Bane's replacement, which was logical, given the death of Bane. Then Bane's son came around, and Fzoul changed from the deity he hated and only followed by necessity to his chosen deity's heir. And then, with the (apparent) demise of that heir and (apparent) return of the original, he went back to the one he'd always been most loyal to.

It would be the same if a king disappeared without an heir, and then someone else took the throne. You serve that person not out of loyalty or love, but because he's the one whose butt's in the throne. When the prince and rightful heir reveals himself, it makes sense to shift allegiance from the pretender to the prince -- and it makes sense to shift allegiance back to the king when he returns.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Sep 2016 17:47:44
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  19:05:09  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Fzoul is/was a Bane worshipper through and through.

He didn't turn away from his god.

His god turned away from him by dying. :p

Cyric was because of spheres of influence and even then, he really didn't stick with him all that long.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  21:00:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul starts out as a 13th level priest of bane CS1e and served as a temporary Avatar in the TOT.

By 2nd Ed he was 15th level priest of Cyric CS2e by switching to Cyric by burning every other priest of Bane alive (if that is not a betrayal then I have no fkn clue what is)

He then decides to go ahead and betray Cyric because he was jealous of mot being the High Priest by commissioning the True Life Of Cyric during the Cyrinishad debacle, then calling upon Mask to murder Cyric's high priest.

Because he had pissed off Cyric he spent months hiding in Teshwave until he discovered Xvim still existed. He then goes all in with Xvim, which goes up to the end of 2nde. Inexplicably, Xvim decides Fzoul is exactly the one he wants to be his Chosen and then Fzoul jumps into power and instantly takes over the Zhents and the Moonsea (everyone's goal for over a decade in real time, made to happen in C&D in 1 paragraph despite the loss of Manshoon - the bribes of power offered as a reason everyone decided to join the Zhents and be Fzoul's servants still makes no sense if you ask me).

In consecrating the altar he somehow manages to cast the most powerful spell unleashed in the realms since the killing storms of the Crown Wars which destroys and remnant of Bane's power within the Moonsea region, including all the Baneliches (who were all more powerful than Fzoul), AND all the Relics, as well as all the priests of Cyric. I mean seriously - while it sounds cool, this is the most nonsensical RSE ever. Cyric's power trumps Xvims by a TON at this point, but a single ritual by a human reverses that and wipes out hundreds or even thousands of worshippers/ and consumes their souls/power. This consumes Fzouls body and creates a tower (high magic by a single 16th level priest anyone?)

Then comes 3rd-5th E where I understand there is more of the same but refuse to take the time to try to learn :P

If Fzoul was a Bane worshiper through and through, then he destroyed the vast majority of his God's power in the realms - remember worshipers = divine power in FR
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  21:01:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS. if I was a god he would be the LAST individual I would imbue with my power.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  21:19:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive yet to think up a suitable explanation (for me) for the tyrant fog that doesnt involve a god somewhere.

Ive come up with an alternative for the stonewalk nonsense and the forging of that sceptre. I figure fzoul stumbled across a network of portals left by the dark three and pieces of a broken item of theirs (maybe myrkuls staff) and he retraced their journey around the inner sea to reforge it.

The tyrant fog i draw a blank on at the moment though

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  22:22:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL Fzoul sounds like a WWE wrestler with all of the face/heel turns!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  00:51:04  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

I would expect that it's not just personal power in the form of levels... I would expect it to be alliances with other powerful types, political power, personal power, and the power of the church at his back.

Good points and understood. But on a personal level , as a Chosen of Bane, I'm betting he wasn't your typical run of the mill 15th level cleric.
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  01:34:03  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
indeed.

this has always bothered me that after his insane story arc, he still hadn't breached 20th level, despite a lot of other npcs doing a hell of a lot less.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

LOL Fzoul sounds like a WWE wrestler with all of the face/heel turns!

You just created the folding chair of tyranny that is now hanging in the center of the ring of the hillsfar gladitorial arena for one night only!

Edited by - shades of eternity on 30 Sep 2016 01:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2016 :  10:06:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite Realms villain of all time, but I dint like how they developed him from the late 90's on(big surprise eh?)in story and art. I always ran him as a somewhat self ironic politician and diplomat, that used a grumbling charm to hide how ruthless he really was. Combining the clerical, military and political elements into a sort of Realmsian Cesare Borgia. Visually the depiction in the 2nd. ed. rules set of course. I also had a more equal power balance between him and Manshoon, where the hidden plottings of one was offset by the megalomanic plots of the other.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000