Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  04:34:25  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just know that I have never and never will play the tabletop D&D, but I will read as many novels as I can get my hands on. Its sad to see them go; especially without ever getting my wizard main character who grows from young to old like Drizzt did for the warrior class (I haven't seen him do actual ranger things in over 10 books). If all those books focused on Drizzt were about a wizard main character... I would have been so ecstatic. Maybe its time to get into Pathfinder. My understanding is the novel line is going strong. I just wish they had more trilogies and less one-shots.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  13:53:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean a wizard like Elminster?
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster went from basic mage to basically epic tier by the 2nd book in the series. So no, not like Elminster. I want to see a couple books detailing an apprentice working his/her way up to the title of wizard. Books about a week wizard who slowly collects pieces of lore and magic. Maybe some books about the wizard joining a faction. As the books continue, the wizard would slowly become more and more powerful until he/she became a High Mage if Elven or Archmage if human. I always wanted that, but I never got it.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  22:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Starlight and Shadows trilogy focuses on a Drow Wizard and the Last Mythal Trilogy will meet your High Magic needs.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  21:30:31  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe but I'd not say Starlight and Shadows depicts a weak wizard. Lareal always struck me as a reasonably powerful wizard... who was forced to multiclass cleric
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  22:36:11  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araevin in the Last Mythal trilogy was actually one of my favorite. I liked how he searched out lore and power. I remember some members on this site saying the trilogy wasn't very canon compliant because someone Good was politically opposed to the Queen in the books, but I never found out who/what they were talking about. I really enjoyed that trilogy though. Liriel was also a really good read. It was sad that another trilogy never came out.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  22:51:05  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the Last Mythal books.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  02:19:35  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going back to Araevin's character for 4e would also have been a much better trilogy than Baker's swordmage trilogy. I was disappointed with that one. Having Araevin show the Cormanthor Elves after 100 years plus the changes with magic would have done much more to really show instead of tell the differences from the Spellplague. Missed opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  02:46:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Blades of the Moonsea books, but it would have been nice to see Araevin.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  07:46:44  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that it's any more solid than anything else here but just to add a bit of evidence that wizards may not be marketing the novels, they don't seem to be putting them out on net galley anymore. Perhaps there is another reason for it but added to the rest it does seem to be indicative of a company giving up on the current line of novels at least
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  19:31:12  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fish321

Not that it's any more solid than anything else here but just to add a bit of evidence that wizards may not be marketing the novels, they don't seem to be putting them out on net galley anymore. Perhaps there is another reason for it but added to the rest it does seem to be indicative of a company giving up on the current line of novels at least

I've noticed that with Netgalley, WotC has been releasing them later and later. Like with Maestro I think they let it out 2 weeks before official release, whereas in the past it was more like a month. I'm waiting to see if it'll be the same with Hero, but I think it's too early to call it one way or another for WotC and Netgalley plans.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  00:23:10  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not the Netgalley stuff that is indicative of the cancellation. Its the no new contracts being offered and Erin Evans already saying that Farideh and co are done after next book. Plus she said that she had to fight to even get that book. Wizards wanted to end the series on Ashes of the Tyrant's cliffhanger.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  17:39:21  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another indication i just noticed, you can't preorder paperbacks of Maestro and Death Masks.

Normaly amazon lets you preorder them many month in advance. So maybe WitC doesn't even bother to release these paperbacks anymore
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  00:10:14  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maestro and Death Masks came out months ago. Hero is Salvatore's new book that comes out in October.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  03:12:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Another indication i just noticed, you can't preorder paperbacks of Maestro and Death Masks.

Normaly amazon lets you preorder them many month in advance. So maybe WitC doesn't even bother to release these paperbacks anymore

Or maybe it's just that they've not come up with a release date.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  06:24:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

Maestro and Death Masks came out months ago. Hero is Salvatore's new book that comes out in October.

Yeah, but no paperbacks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  07:01:23  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Or maybe it's just that they've not come up with a release date.

which would be very unusual as you can usually preorder the paperback many month in advance, even before thd release of the hardcover/kindle version
Go to Top of Page

Nilonim
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  09:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Nilonim's Homepage Send Nilonim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also there isn't a paoerback version of Archmage yet. It's already more than a year from the hardback version release!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  16:08:40  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Archmage you can at least preorder, scheduled for Februar 2017
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  18:39:46  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We used to... But that was when we'd see multiple novels in that time frame.

I saw something online today saying that WotC had recently increased their staffing from 15 to 23 people. Obviously, this doesn't mean much for novels, since those aren't written in-house... But if they're increasing staff, it means they've got more work to be done.

Oh wow….. WotC is increasing it's staff. That sounds optimistic. I'm cautiously optimistic about that. :)

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  18:45:51  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Realistically I think the only hope for FR is if Ed and a band of Brothers and Sisters gets together to create a proper, full FRCG for DMSGUILD, and enough people get together to demand that WotC grant it offical recognition, putting max pressure on WotC to make it official.

Or maybe even a coup where Ed and Company take over WotC?

It's not unprecedented. Look what happened to Chaosium. A couple of years ago, on the brink of bankruptcy, they completely changed leadership staff, and had to bring back some of the original authors and co-founders, co-founder Sandy Peterson was brought back. Chaosium today seems to be doing better, and is able to successfully follow through with ambitious releases (like the very ambitious 7th Edition Kickstarter).

Go to Top of Page

KraziJoe
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  19:44:06  Show Profile Send KraziJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever happned to DragonLance?
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  16:40:07  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast
Or maybe even a coup where Ed and Company take over WotC?

It's not unprecedented. Look what happened to Chaosium. A couple of years ago, on the brink of bankruptcy, they completely changed leadership staff, and had to bring back some of the original authors and co-founders, co-founder Sandy Peterson was brought back. Chaosium today seems to be doing better, and is able to successfully follow through with ambitious releases (like the very ambitious 7th Edition Kickstarter).
The problem is that D&D revenue is basically a rounding error in WotC's P&L compared to their MtG revenue.

So even if Ed and company would represent all of D&D instead of just FR, it still wouldn't bother WotC

On the bright side I was able to order the paperback for Maestro at Amazon. Delivery schedule for 6th of June 2017.

Now I am waiting only on a paperback for Death Masks, Hero and The Devil you know

Edited by - Mirtek on 08 Oct 2016 16:42:13
Go to Top of Page

tithas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  05:23:37  Show Profile Send tithas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edelweiss is a publishing website that list book catalogs.

Currently Spring 2017 is listed like this.
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3965552
Fall 2016 is:
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3826842

Take it for what it's worth but they have been right for years with catalogs.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  23:29:37  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, there are two things I will not do:

1) Assume, without an official statement or a long period of time without novels, that the novel line is cancelled.

Out of curiosity, how long would we have to go without novels for you to conclude that the novel line had been cancelled?
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2016 :  06:01:55  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

quote:

1) Assume, without an official statement or a long period of time without novels, that the novel line is cancelled.

Out of curiosity, how long would we have to go without novels for you to conclude that the novel line had been cancelled?

Im no Wooly, but I think 6months without anything new anounced, and we can conclude novels have been cancelled. There is always a possibility, that we get more novels after FR-movie has been succesful.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2016 :  23:56:28  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The real problem that we know about was Wizards did not even want Devil You Know to be released. Erin had to fight hard to ever get that book published. Knowing that Drizzt just came to an end with Hero (no sign of any new contract being offered to Bob), that just leaves Ed for books. And we haven't heard anything about any new book for him either. So they are either completely shutting the novels down, or they are hoping to get a big boost with the movie. If they are banking on the movie: 1) I wouldn't suggest doing that and 2) They would be much better off with novels ready to release right when the movie drops so people are interested, not months later. It just seems more likely that the novel line is getting cancelled. Which is sad since I have enjoyed FR, Eberron, and Dragonlance through the books and never through the game. Now all are cancelled.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  23:57:24  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

quote:

quote:

Im no Wooly, but I think 6months without anything new anounced, and we can conclude novels have been cancelled. There is always a possibility, that we get more novels after FR-movie has been succesful.

When was Hero announced? Seems like it's already been 6 months.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  08:11:55  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

quote:

quote:

When was Hero announced? Seems like it's already been 6 months.

I meant from release of last novel.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  00:17:53  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thread from enworld, which I found very enlighting.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?496562-D-amp-D-product-sales-numbers-on-Amazon-etc

Note posts 2, 5 and 10

Now I know that this is just amazon and they are sold via other channels as well. But there is no denying that Amazon has cornered a significant share of the market and the rest is not likely to show completely different trends then on amazon

So given those figures I can no longer blame WotC for stopping the novel line.

Edited by - Mirtek on 25 Oct 2016 00:20:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000