Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  06:50:10  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been lot ups and downs with Drizzt during the years. Crystal Shard was AWESOME, as many know. Hunters Blades trilogy was bad, as was lot of transitions. BUT, Gauntlygrym (Spelling) was AWESOME again. Neverwinter Saga was rather boring aside of it. Companions was again great, but other books in companions codex was rather repetative again. About the same has Hunters Blades trilogy 100 years after. And now, after rather good Archmage we get this Maestro, that was quite terrible in my mind. It did couple of things that I hate with passion: first and foremost it did paint Jarlaxle as incompetent first time ever. And he has been my favorite guy for ages. Second, everyone co-operated so unbelievable way. Third: character interactions were something from Twilight-series. Fourth: Maestro was worst case in ignorance of settings established lore in general from RAS's part. So all in all, I dont shed too much tears if Drizzt is going to end.

But I do shed some tears of cancelled books from other authors, especially Kemp.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  12:46:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been 33 novels, 1 anthology, several appearences in video games, a bunch of comic books, art work, ect... for Drizzt, who changed what it meant to be Drow, who shaped the politics of the North and Sword Coast all the way down to Calimport, who caught the attention of countless fans, sparking an interest in the Realms, and helping to keep the Realms alive in some dark times.

Drizzt is almost a setting in his own right, 34 total books, that's more books alone then most D&D settings get period.

And its all about to end in October. Its a dark Omen for the Realms and I don't like it one bit.

I hope Drizzt has a happy ending, after everything, he deserves it.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  20:11:25  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

There have been 33 novels, 1 anthology, several appearences in video games, a bunch of comic books, art work, ect... for Drizzt, who changed what it meant to be Drow, who shaped the politics of the North and Sword Coast all the way down to Calimport, who caught the attention of countless fans, sparking an interest in the Realms, and helping to keep the Realms alive in some dark times.

Drizzt is almost a setting in his own right, 34 total books, that's more books alone then most D&D settings get period.

And its all about to end in October. Its a dark Omen for the Realms and I don't like it one bit.

A lot of the anti-Drizzt crowd don't seem to understand or appreciate how many doors he opened. A lot of the other novels, adventures, sourcebooks, etc. that we've enjoyed in recent years would not have existed if Drizzt was selling so well. But of course, there are some contrarian types who don't like when their hobbies become too popular and accessible to the masses.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  20:19:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

A lot of the anti-Drizzt crowd don't seem to understand or appreciate how many doors he opened. A lot of the other novels, adventures, sourcebooks, etc. that we've enjoyed in recent years would not have existed if Drizzt was selling so well. But of course, there are some contrarian types who don't like when their hobbies become too popular and accessible to the masses.

The anti-Drizzt crowd is surely outnumbered by those who like Drizzt, tho, otherwise WotC wouldn't have invested in him.

I very much appreciate that he opened the possibility to a deeper exploration and expansion of the drow. For example, if it wasn't for him, Idk if my favourite deities, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, would have made the jump from Ed's Realms to the published setting, and I would have never cared for the dark elves as a result. However it also sucks when WotC takes decisions affecting the whole drow with that single character in mind.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  20:33:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll point put that if it wasn't for Drizzt Drow wouldn't be in the PHB and he clearly inspired both the Hunter and Beastmaster Ranger subclasses too. He's even qouted in the PHB.

So it feel weird that in October Drizzt is meeting his end, whatever that means (death or retirement?).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  20:38:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll point put that if it wasn't for Drizzt Drow wouldn't be in the PHB and he clearly inspired both the Hunter and Beastmaster Ranger subclasses too. He's even qouted in the PHB.

Not arguing that, but when they decide to remove the entire drow pantheon and all that they entail, because otherwise Drizzt isn't enough of a special snowflake in WotC's eyes? That greatly diminishes the setting, deletes an entire huge side of a race, just to make a character supposedly feel more special (and that's even only their assumption, as I've never/very rarely seen Drizzt readers complain about the drow gods and their followers). C'mon.

quote:

So it feel weird that in October Drizzt is meeting his end, whatever that means (death or retirement?).

It seems retirement. The synopsis of Hero talks about finding peace, family, etc...

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Sep 2016 20:42:33
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  20:56:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't blame Drizzt for that, I blame some one at WotC for that bad idea. At least they're back.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  21:00:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would prefer Drizzt's 'retirement' to his death heh.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  21:03:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't blame Drizzt for that, I blame some one at WotC for that bad idea. At least they're back.

Sure. That's why I said that "it sucks when WotC take decisions about the whole drow with that single character in mind."

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  21:09:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I would prefer Drizzt's 'retirement' to his death heh.

I honestly doubt that WotC would make a choice that would prevent any further Drizzt stories from being written. He has already been "resurrected" once, doing that again would be immensely lame, so I'd say that--were they to kill him--resurrection wouldn't be an option for having new stories about him. This means that they either just retire him, or they cut all possibilities for further Drizzt tales.

Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  22:19:10  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

no its because we're tired of drizzit. their are other characters.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  09:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know if the novel line is truly coming to an end...they should have one more grand adventure involving everyone's characters against a world ending menace.Spanning a 10 book timeframe.
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  10:22:37  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

quote:

quote:

no its because we're tired of drizzit. their are other characters.

right it's not that they don't appreciate Drizzt it's just that after 30 odd books about the guy you want something else. I mean I enjoyed the Drizzt books but I don't think,. by any means, that the books where the best the realms had to offer
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  13:51:23  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

5e was supposed to be a golden age for D&D and FR and instead its turned out to be a Near Death Experience.
Well, it seems to be the golden age for D&D again at least.

5e is still ranked on top spots on the amazon charts and has already beaten (individually, not alltogether) each previous edition of D&D.

We may not like it, but WotC's strategy seems to be working.

Not sure your evidence can lead you to the conclusion it did. Maybe that pertains to 4th edition? But an Amazon chart isn't going to tell you relative sales for 1-3rd editions of D&D or FR material.

Nope, it's straight from Mearls on twitter

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/764241988128419840

I would like to chime in here to say that proves nothing what so ever. If all tthe editions had the same selling conditions then yes it would prove something, but since they didn't it means nothing.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  13:58:03  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We used to... But that was when we'd see multiple novels in that time frame.

I saw something online today saying that WotC had recently increased their staffing from 15 to 23 people. Obviously, this doesn't mean much for novels, since those aren't written in-house... But if they're increasing staff, it means they've got more work to be done. Hopefully, this will lead to an increase in the content they provide.

And 8 people may not sound like a lot... But that's more than half of what they had before.

We don't know if those 8 people are going to work in the RPG team, or in the Marketing team (or something like that), tho. At least, I haven't read anything about that.

True, we don't have that info... But staffing up is a good sign, either way.

How would that be good if these new people being hired have nothing to do with D&D?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  14:12:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

You know if the novel line is truly coming to an end...they should have one more grand adventure involving everyone's characters against a world ending menace.Spanning a 10 book timeframe.

That would be cheap IMO. We don't need *another* cataclysm. It has become stupid. Yes, I'll be blunt: at this point it's flat out stupid that apocalypses keep coming back to back. Novels should add depth to the Realms, expand on how things work there. And while IMO it is fine to extend that to powerful entities, like gods (for example, showing us how they interact with their people, how they may work/think etc...), it is not fine when every plot that involves them in some way either ends up blowing up things, or involves some world-ending stuff going on, and culminates in the cliché of "and our usual beloved heroes save the world for the 1346237-th time from the plans of some mad guy who obviously wants to end the same world they're living in".

If anything, we need a real Sundering series, to explain how the changes that are described in the SCAG happened, and to set up the present-day Realms. Because the 6 Sundering novels did a rather poor job at that.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Sep 2016 14:18:23
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  17:24:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, this is really happening isn't it? I've been reading Drizzt since I was in 6th grade (I'm 36 now). No more Elminster, Storm, the Baenres, I could go on, but this is depressing on so many levels. :(
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  19:10:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen to that

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  20:50:42  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?495194-Forgotten-Realms-novel-line-being-cancelled&p=6984014&viewfull=1#post6984014

here from Enworld makes it sound as if the end of the novel line is for real.

quote:
Originally posted by slushlush.com
So it’s true? This is the last book?
Yes. The Devil You Know is the last book of the Brimstone Angels series.

I don’t like that.
I can’t say I like it either, but if it helps, the last book was nearly Ashes of the Tyrant, cliffhanger and all, so really–

I WOULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE.
That’s kind of what I guessed. You can be a little dramatic.

The point is we’ve come to the end. It’s not the end of me, not the end of my stories, not the end of characters like Farideh and family, but it’s the end of the Brimstone Angels Saga. I worked my butt off to get The Devil You Know to you, my darling readers, in time to be published. You get an ending, and having been at this long enough to see lots of series get unceremoniously cut off, I think that’s something precious.

So if they nearly axed the brimstone angels with Ashes of the Tyrant they seem to be dead serious about ending the line.

Edited by - Mirtek on 06 Sep 2016 20:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  04:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

That would be cheap IMO. We don't need *another* cataclysm. It has become stupid. Yes, I'll be blunt: at this point it's flat out stupid that apocalypses keep coming back to back. Novels should add depth to the Realms, expand on how things work there. And while IMO it is fine to extend that to powerful entities, like gods (for example, showing us how they interact with their people, how they may work/think etc...), it is not fine when every plot that involves them in some way either ends up blowing up things, or involves some world-ending stuff going on, and culminates in the cliché of "and our usual beloved heroes save the world for the 1346237-th time from the plans of some mad guy who obviously wants to end the same world they're living in".

If anything, we need a real Sundering series, to explain how the changes that are described in the SCAG happened, and to set up the present-day Realms. Because the 6 Sundering novels did a rather poor job at that.

We each see the novels differently. I don't really play D&D. The novels to me are more for entertainment and less for lore gathering purposes. Neither of us is wrong. But if there are no more novels, my interest in this will likely end as well. So I wouldn't mind another Realms saving crossover series
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  04:24:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't implying that one of us is wrong and the other right (that's why I said "IMO" multiple times). But even from the perspective of someone who doesn't play D&D, repetitive storytelling focused on big-heroes and huge booms cheapens a world. It makes it less believable/relatable and more like random popcorn fiction. Besides, detailing and adding depth to a setting is a sign of good world building, unrelatedly to RPGs.

That's why IMO a novel series with yet another world ending threat is not needed, and a series that explains the changes that led to the 1490s FR/current era would be better as "the last FR novel series".

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Sep 2016 04:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  17:09:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards should have just made a generic world. They could have blown that up as much as they like.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  19:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ras answered my question on this matter with this:
"I am not talking about anything after "Hero" at this point"
So take that as you will
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  20:46:24  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the current authors sound happy and Ed's Twitter feed is filled with stuff about his new setting

http://stormtalons.onderlibrum.com/

The writing is on the wall people.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  20:50:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ras answered my question on this matter with this:
"I am not talking about anything after "Hero" at this point"
So take that as you will

That might be telling, but if RAS said WotC canned the novel line people might not buy the book in outrage or something. Have to wait for release of Hero to know anything more I imagine.

I hope the line doesn't end. I like my reading in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2016 :  21:49:43  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel's are actually what give the setting life.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  02:24:11  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

The novel's are actually what give the setting life.

Exactly. Without the novels the realms will dry and die. I'm starting to dispise Hasbro now, wish Wizards of the coast had never been sold to them, and I wish they'd sell the IP to a more deserving and competent company. I wish I had the money to buy it off them. Or for the rights to revert to Ed.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  02:31:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novels have always been my primary focus. I'm going to miss them, if the rumors are true.

Go to Top of Page

PMark
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2016 :  19:14:06  Show Profile Send PMark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks! I just want to join in the chorus to say i also think that the novels are among the primary things that make a setting successful and popular and lively. Especially a setting which is a fairly generic high fantasy one.

RAS, Cunningham, Kemp and others made me interested in FR.Evans renewed it. Gross did the same for Golarion.

Novels are an entry point for possible new fans, it would be a shame to see it axed. The trickling down to 3 authors was bad already.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  00:03:12  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could actually see this as an intentional way to remove a lot of the feel of the Realms so Perkins and Co can do things as they wish and new fans wouldn't know the difference.

I see many business decisions going on in the guise of "caring about D&D".

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000