Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You know you're an FR nerd when...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  18:59:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, interesting! I did not know that

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:02:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The name Jennifer also comes from Guinevere.

Lots of weird and interesting things in etymology.

My language (Italian) doesn't have any word for Jennifer, but we use Ginevra (a very rare name) for Guinevere (although I guess that this would make Ginevra the Italian for Jennifer as well).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Apr 2016 19:02:25
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:09:45  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I'm surely not an expert (or even knowledgeable), but I remember reading on Wikipedia that the Welsh ''Gwenhwyfar'' was the original name, and it has been altered various times by successive authors/scholars (so there are many versions of her name). I guess that RAS liked Gwenhwyfar, so he slightly altered the name and used it in his books.

Interesting! I wonder why RAS went with a u instead of the first w? o:
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:16:18  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps he wanted the spelling to be at least somewhat unique, but have the pronunciation be some variation of the name Gwenevere?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:22:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

When you tell someone at work "Stlarn it, why don't you just go tluin yourself, you hrasting pinwit"

I say "Gods curse it!" on occasion, or even the "ye dancing gods" that I think I got from someone here... But the Realms profanity just doesn't work for me. It doesn't flow like those four letter words do in American English...

Actually, I invoke "Bob" a lot -- I got that from the otherwise forgettable Mostly Harmless, from when Arthur Dent was the Revered Sandwich Maker for a tribe of Bob-fearing natives. I had a religious co-worker who took offense at certain common uses of God, so I settled on invoking Bob as an amusing, geeky, and inoffensive alternative.

As for being an FR nerd... In addition to building my collection twice, I've got a map of Waterdeep on the wall of my computer room, I check this site multiple times a day, and I've got digital copies of a lot of FR material in a lot of places -- including a thumb drive I bought specifically to leave connected to one of my work computers, with FR maps and material on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:26:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I nearly got fired from my last job for having a usb stick with my entire FR catalogue on it connected to my work computer.

Of course it might also have been because I spent almost my entire working day writing and reading FR stuff.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:36:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

When you tell someone at work "Stlarn it, why don't you just go tluin yourself, you hrasting pinwit"

I say "Gods curse it!" on occasion, or even the "ye dancing gods" that I think I got from someone here... But the Realms profanity just doesn't work for me. It doesn't flow like those four letter words do in American English...

Actually, I invoke "Bob" a lot -- I got that from the otherwise forgettable Mostly Harmless, from when Arthur Dent was the Revered Sandwich Maker for a tribe of Bob-fearing natives. I had a religious co-worker who took offense at certain common uses of God, so I settled on invoking Bob as an amusing, geeky, and inoffensive alternative.

As for being an FR nerd... In addition to building my collection twice, I've got a map of Waterdeep on the wall of my computer room, I check this site multiple times a day, and I've got digital copies of a lot of FR material in a lot of places -- including a thumb drive I bought specifically to leave connected to one of my work computers, with FR maps and material on it.

I'll say "by the gods!" sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  23:40:34  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you say, "By the nine hells!" legitimately.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  23:56:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done that! Or "what in the nine hells?" lol

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  00:29:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When meeting some one new and you greet them with: "Well met"...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  03:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

When meeting some one new and you greet them with: "Well met"...

Oh so very guilty

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2016 :  11:47:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
-- including a thumb drive I bought specifically to leave connected to one of my work computers, with FR maps and material on it.

Well, I have two flashdrives with my entire FR and D&D collection at home, for safekeeping, and one that I bring to work with the stuff I'm currently working on - which I do between my work tasks or in lunch time. Besides, sometimes I spend some time navigating after images to present to my players - I've collected many Giga in photos and pictures, and I end up showing only a little bit of them to my players!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2016 :  15:40:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not gone digital on the entire collection... I have all the stuff that was once free to download, and other stuff that was of particular interest to me, enough to justify paying for the download.

...And a bunch of other stuff. Files I've created, pdfs from other companies, etc. Not including the copies of Dragon from the old Archive CD-ROM, I've got close to 20 GBs in my "Gamage" folder.

Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2016 :  15:45:00  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you dream up things like this:

DnD Explained Using Tomatos,

Strength is being able to crush a tomato.
Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato.
Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato.
Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.
Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2016 :  18:02:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

When you dream up things like this:

DnD Explained Using Tomatos,

Strength is being able to crush a tomato.
Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato.
Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato.
Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.
Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

I saw that in a screencap on Facebook... Someone posted that explanation somewhere, and the first response was "actually, a tomato-based fruit salad would be salsa." The response to that was "Guys, I found the bard!"

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  13:05:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,I didn't mean to imply that my collection is complete. I mean all the digital books I have. And the material I created, of course.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  02:40:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when you start swearing By Banes Black bloody balls...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  02:54:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

when you start swearing By Banes Black bloody balls...

Or "By the Dark Sun"...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  04:00:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or Tyr's Toenail

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  04:25:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

or Tyr's Toenail

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  19:44:33  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you contribute to a forum page titled "You know you're an FR nerd when...", and then remember to refer to the page as a scroll.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 04 May 2016 19:46:24
Go to Top of Page

AlastorTheGrim
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  06:57:24  Show Profile Send AlastorTheGrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you frantically scribble notes during a lecture and back in the dorm room your buddy who missed class asks to borrow your notebook, but hands it back almost immediately with a confused expression, after seeing that instead of writing down information regarding the class you spent an hour-and-a-half madly constructing a scenario for the Zhentarim to defeat and subjugate the remaining Moonsea cities and form a massive theocratic/magocratic empire.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000