Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Source for the big lore development
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  21:27:41  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I never saw some kind of sourcebooks for the big lore of faerūn or at least the sword coast. Kara-Tur and the other continents seem to have no newer history.

But whatever. So I red from the thread about new elimster novel in waterdeep that Neverember got problems. Where do you get this?

A example for the rage of demons.

We got just merchandise about this. An adventure, a novel, a module in a MMO. But is there any bald content about these big events like the spellplague and so on? Like a "treatise" book or blog?

Im no native english speaker so I hope you get the context.

edit: Of course I know dmsguild, but is there a category for such lore texts? And if yes are they approved by WotC?

Edited by - Petra_W on 12 May 2016 21:44:11

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  22:29:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverember was ousted from Waterdeep in The Rise of Tiamat and this was expanded upon a tiny bit in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. The last bit of lore about Kara-Tur was in a 4th edition issue Dragon Magazine.

I'd check the year pages on the Forgotten Realms wiki (check my sig) for the most comprehensive list of events. There's an oft-referred to scroll here at the keep as well, which is almost as good but misses some of the small details that the author didn't have access to.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  00:13:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sword Coast Guide mentioned by hashimashadoo is the closest that you will get to a ''treatise'' for 5e. This scroll is also good: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630

If you want to know the Spellplague, then the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is the book to read. Or just check the Wiki, like suggested.

The DMSguild is 100% non canon, unless someone decides to write some kind of summary of canon lore for it (but there isn't any, yet, that I know).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  00:38:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The DMSguild is 100% non canon, unless someone decides to write some kind of summary of canon lore for it (but there isn't any, yet, that I know).

Or until WotC decides they really like something, and decide to make it official.

I'm personally convinced that part of why they set that site up was to allow them to vet new designers and materials without actually saying that's what they're doing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  02:14:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, I too think that it is a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  13:30:57  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there FR wiki and use it when I need an overview about something. But the "new events" there have sources from material and books of the 00s. If a book from 2007 tells me what 2016 is happening in faerūn thats just not my thing.

Other P&Ps have monthly/quarterly blogs or ebook-issues (for money) where you can read the newest events. Im missing that in D&D.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  13:45:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D doesn't have that. The only overview of the current state of the Realms in 1491 DR can be found in the Sword Coast Guide. And that book just tells you the status quo, not the details of how things happened (because those details are basically non-existent. WotC said ''The Sundering/Ao'' did it, and called it a day).

Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  01:16:43  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thats a shame for one of the biggest P&Ps and maybe the most famous international.

Was'nt there any Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine, something like that?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  01:41:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but (that I know) they weren't products aimed to provide updates about the state of the Realms, or summaries of the new storylines. Either way, they are no longer being produced, and the new ''Dragon+'' is a an app that, while free, has little to no realmslore, is light on content (and some of it can be found on the D&D site anyway(, and a lot of advertising.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000