Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You know you're an FR nerd when...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:43:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This thread is just for fun

I was stuck in traffic behind a semi truck for Les Schwab Tire Centers, on on the back it listed their services: tires, alignment, brakes, parts, etc. I started trying to figure out how to turn those services into stats for a deity or an NPC. Alignment was easy. I thought maybe tires or brakes could be like power level or healing ability or something. Keep in mind, I was stuck in traffic and bored, but when I realized I was doing it, I was like "oookay, I'm officially a nerd".

So, you know you're in FR nerd when...

Sweet water and light laughter

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:53:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where to start.
When you spend 2 months reading every sourcebook looking for quotes about netheril.
When you spend 6 months writing a sourcebook that you know no one but you will ever read.
When you type up all of faiths and pantheons into a word document to help you search for things easier because the PDF you have isn't OCR'd.
When you rewrite an entire rule system because the official rules won't let a ranger learn wizard spells at any random level and you know it happened in eds campaign.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  17:57:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you often daydream, and unknowingly find yourself thinking about how the story of your campaign could unfold, or picturing scenes with FR characters/NPCs talking to and interacting with each other.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:14:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...when you name your cat Guenhwyvar. (Disclamer: I do not own any cats)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 14 Jan 2016 18:14:52
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:16:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Guenhwyvar is also King Arthur's consort, though.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:17:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

When you often daydream, and unknowingly find yourself thinking about how the story of your campaign could unfold, or picturing scenes with FR characters/NPCs talking to and interacting with each other.

I do that too, though instead of campaigns it's role-playing via writing.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:21:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I do that too, though instead of campaigns it's role-playing via writing.

It's not different, especially if you consider the existence of ''play-by post'' or ''play-by-mail'' campaigns. In my group, we use rules rather loosely, so that would be even closer.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  18:28:55  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you spend 11 months re-creating the continent of Faerun with the Map Editor feature of the old turn-based strategy video game Heroes of Might and Magic III. Not being content to populate the board with random monster stacks, you research every region thoroughly to find at least one lore-compliant encounter, and then utilize the most appropriate monster to simulate that nugget of official history.

After nearly a year in the making, a friend and I tore through the scenario in a few weeks and I loved every second of it. I had so much fun in the building process that I made Dark Sun and Ravenloft maps as well.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  21:18:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

When you spend 11 months re-creating the continent of Faerun with the Map Editor feature of the old turn-based strategy video game Heroes of Might and Magic III. Not being content to populate the board with random monster stacks, you research every region thoroughly to find at least one lore-compliant encounter, and then utilize the most appropriate monster to simulate that nugget of official history.

After nearly a year in the making, a friend and I tore through the scenario in a few weeks and I loved every second of it. I had so much fun in the building process that I made Dark Sun and Ravenloft maps as well.

Pics?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  22:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you turn your study into a mini library of Realms tomes, maps, minis, and craft projects.

When you spend your free time deliberating whether to craft custom dungeon tiles for Zhentil Keep or Dragonspear Castle.

When Minsc's "Go For The Eyes, Boo!" battle cry is your text ringtone, and the Baldur's Gate theme is your default ringtone.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 14 Jan 2016 22:19:49
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  23:39:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you go to a seminar for work and fill three pages of lore/ideas for Impiltur and then smile when your colleagues comment appreciatively that "you took a lot of notes in the seminar!"

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  00:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you proudly can claim to have a complete, or nearly complete, collection of Forgotten Realms products, and in some instances, own more than one of some of the products.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  04:01:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

When you proudly can claim to have a complete, or nearly complete, collection of Forgotten Realms products, and in some instances, own more than one of some of the products.

How about when you can say you've built the above collection twice?

(admittedly, having to build the collection the second time wasn't by choice, but I did it in much less time!)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  04:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(admittedly, having to build the collection the second time wasn't by choice, but I did it in much less time!)

I'm not counting my digital collection. As for the physical collection, the sad state a few of them are in, I wish I had two of everything.

As an aside, here is what I love about our hobby and love of the Forgotten Realms. You buy the sourcebooks, rule books, and so on, and if you're lucky you get decades of reading and using them in game sessions. They've paid for themselves many times over.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 15 Jan 2016 08:11:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  06:14:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

I'm not counting my digital collection. As for my physical collection, the sad state a few of them are in, I wish I had two of everything.

I'm not talking about a digital collection, either... I came aboard right around the 1E/2E transition, buying pretty much whatever I could find in those pre-internet days. Then I discovered eBay, and my collection of older stuff started growing -- one of my first eBay purchases was FR4 The Magister, which I'd been hunting for several years, at that point. I was also continuing to buy stuff as it came out, getting most of the 3E stuff as soon as it hit the FLGS.

And then I moved out of my apartment, put everything I owned into storage, and the place was struck by lightning and burned to the ground.

So all I had was the maps (which were not in storage) and a list of what I had previously owned... And within a couple of years, I had more FR stuff than I'd had before the fire.

So I have literally assembled a near-complete collection of the physical books and such, twice.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  08:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not talking about a digital collection, either... I came aboard right around the 1E/2E transition, buying pretty much whatever I could find in those pre-internet days. Then I discovered eBay, and my collection of older stuff started growing -- one of my first eBay purchases was FR4 The Magister, which I'd been hunting for several years, at that point. I was also continuing to buy stuff as it came out, getting most of the 3E stuff as soon as it hit the FLGS.

And then I moved out of my apartment, put everything I owned into storage, and the place was struck by lightning and burned to the ground.

So all I had was the maps (which were not in storage) and a list of what I had previously owned... And within a couple of years, I had more FR stuff than I'd had before the fire.

So I have literally assembled a near-complete collection of the physical books and such, twice.

That's commendable! I remember you mentioning the fire before. I'm glad to hear you didn't lose a place where you lived to fire, which is what I initially thought happened.

Now I'm thinking about a fire-proofed panic room for my RPG collection...

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  15:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When none of your friends will watch a movie with you because you keep going (Reflx Save Dc 15) or Climb check (10) during the action scenes.
And yes I am STILL typing everthing persoanlly for easier reference.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  16:32:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When your friends will have no trouble helping haul a couch or furniture etc. when moving, but tell you they aren't touching all those heavy boxes of books? hahah
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  06:10:22  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When your first activity of the day is to check Active Topics on Candlekeep-forum ;)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  04:21:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you kill a spider and think or say "die, minion of Lolth!" Lol

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  05:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You wake up one morning, and while saying your daily prayer to Milil, you declare "I want to illustrate over 500 pages of an original FR graphic novel!!!" And Oghma looks down at thee in disbelief and finally says, "If thou can, then thou shalt be our Chosen; Ye wilt go forth, slaving day and night, to tell such a ballad!"

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 26 Apr 2016 05:19:24
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  09:33:11  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When your hamster is named Boo.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  09:35:53  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one who actually talks like that is Elminster. Oghma doesn't use Ye Olde English.

Come to think of it, almost none of the deities do. Hell, neither did the Netherese; Karsus, Telamont and Larloch speak normally. Even among the Chosen, the only one who uses thous and thees and yes regularly is Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  12:26:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you spend years writing articles about the places and cultures where your PCs were born and raised - and trying to give only the information the characters would have. When you write articles about magic, moonblades, combat strategy, chivalric codes, and other relevant legends and lore for your players.

When you slowly develop detailed adventures you know your PCs will play only in a few - and maybe not so few - years. When you create NPCs and magic items in advance for these adventures (including PlaneScape/Krynnish characters and Spelljammer/Kara-Tur, with a complete Oriental revision for 2e - including Skills & Powers psionics, revised martial arts, and more).

When you spend time revising AD&D classes and places, fixing bugs and trying to make them more alive (elven archers, bladesingers, skinwalkers, lance and bow specialization, monsters, NPCs, etc.). Sometimes lowering their power level to equate with a less magic-powered campaign.

When you go to a sculptor and asks for a panther figurine based on your favorite depiction of Guen's statuette made of onyx (still haven't found one to make it, though).

When you know that only you, two friends and a brother will see and know this work more fully, and the four or five PCs will see it partially, 'cause they will see it through their PCs' eyes.

EDIT: additional stuff

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 26 Apr 2016 13:10:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  13:18:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you tell someone at work "Stlarn it, why don't you just go tluin yourself, you hrasting pinwit"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  13:40:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

When you tell someone at work "Stlarn it, why don't you just go tluin yourself, you hrasting pinwit"

Lol, I think I'll do that for real...

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  13:41:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

When you kill a spider and think or say "die, minion of Lolth!" Lol

Spiders aren't that bad. And just because Lolth claims that she rules them, it doesn't mean that they are all her servants :P

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  15:47:18  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol well I have never liked spiders, and if there is a chance that one of them *might* be a servant of Lolth, well, I better take it down :P

I think I will use that line,too, Sleyvas. That's awesome

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  18:17:41  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Guenhwyvar is also King Arthur's consort, though.

I thought that's what it was initially, and that Bob's choice for the panther's name was odd. However, King Arthur's consort is actually Gwenevere (also written "Guenevere" or "Guinevere"). I don't know what the official pronunciation of the cat's name is supposed to sound like, but in the collected short stories audiobook the third syllable is pronounced in a distinctly different way from how I've heard "Gwenevere" pronounced (var vs vere).

Not sure if it's supposed to be an allusion or not, however.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  18:35:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surely not an expert (or even knowledgeable), but I remember reading on Wikipedia that the Welsh ''Gwenhwyfar'' was the original name, and it has been altered various times by successive authors/scholars (so there are many versions of her name). I guess that RAS liked Gwenhwyfar, so he slightly altered the name and used it in his books.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Apr 2016 18:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  18:53:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name Jennifer also comes from Guinevere.

Lots of weird and interesting things in etymology.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000