Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Hobgoblin empire: Surprised we haven't seen one.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  15:09:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When you read the description of Hobgoblins you will notice that they are very militaristic and regimented.

This is one race that I expect to have some kind of kingdom or empire. Are there any record of their being a hobgoblin kingdom in the Realms and would you like to see the rise of one?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  16:29:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
check around Impiltur

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  17:19:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain but I recall the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy having hobgoblins in it, but I don't know if those would count as having a kingdom or just a small area that they dominated.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  18:23:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask Jakuta Khan, and look after the Gorge of the Fallen Idol in Tethyr, the Sythilisian empire, Hlundadim, and Holorarar.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  00:33:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See my Impiltur Timeline hosted here at the Keep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  04:26:24  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be a cool idea.

Sythsillian Empire had Hobgoblins in it, didn't it? (not entirely a Hobgoblin Empire... run by Oni/Ogre Mage but still...)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  18:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could have sworn that I buried a former hobgoblin empire in Tethyr's history to give some story to the Gorge of the Fallen Idol (although I'm typing this without checking anything and could totally be misremembering everything, given that it's been nearly 20 years since I wrote Lands of Intrigue).

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  20:23:34  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually in the middle of creating my own world and I'm thinking about starting it off where a long defeated Hobgoblin empire is rising again. I was thinking about making the empire like feudal japan where the Hobgoblins are lords and goblins are the peasants. Bugbears would be the muscle that the lords keep around for protection and heavy lifting.

I want to make them very civilized and want to conquer.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  07:41:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
make sure their favorite meal is elf.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  12:19:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a nice idea, hobgoblin society fits well with japanese shogunate and samurai-based society. No wonder the hobgoblin in 1e art were depicted wearing samurai armor, and in 2e with some oriental flavor. Besides, in 1e Oriental Adventures hobgoblins are among the AD&D monsters found in the East.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  13:24:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I'm not certain but I recall the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy having hobgoblins in it, but I don't know if those would count as having a kingdom or just a small area that they dominated.

The Chosen of Nendawen looks interesting. I own one of the books and can't wait until I find the other two so I can start reading.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  16:13:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I'm actually in the middle of creating my own world and I'm thinking about starting it off where a long defeated Hobgoblin empire is rising again. I was thinking about making the empire like feudal japan where the Hobgoblins are lords and goblins are the peasants. Bugbears would be the muscle that the lords keep around for protection and heavy lifting.

I want to make them very civilized and want to conquer.

You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration. They were originally orcs, but have become highly militaristic, educated (they frequently learn elvish to insult elves in their own tongue), and civilized (in that they have a civilization, not in that they will invite you round for tea and scones).

They are an entirely separate race, now, but still physically resemble their progenitors.

And obviously, they're not hobgoblins, but at the least, they can serve as inspiration for your hobgoblin empire.

Me, I'm a huge fan of the scro, and would use them, instead -- but this isn't my project.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  16:42:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where in Faerun would you establish a scro colony, Wooly? Though polar opposites, I sometimes confuse scro and ondonti

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Mar 2015 16:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  17:34:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration.
(...)

This truly goes on personal preference, but D&D is truly full of "variantions on the same theme". We have goblins/orcs, and hobgoblins/orogs/half-orcs/scro. Of course, D&D gave them kind of different origins, but in the sources that inspired them they are quite the same.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  19:59:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Where in Faerun would you establish a scro colony, Wooly? Though polar opposites, I sometimes confuse scro and ondonti

Given that scro are a spelljamming race, they can pop up pretty much anywhere.

They'd be more likely to establish a garrison than a colony, I think.

I don't know any place, off the top of my head, where I'd place a scro colony... Their goals would be basic military concerns -- resources, defenses, proximity to the enemy.

That said, they might settle in an abandoned/conquered elven city, if one met their needs. Their hatred of elves would make them delight in living in a formerly elven homeland, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  20:07:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration.
(...)

This truly goes on personal preference, but D&D is truly full of "variantions on the same theme". We have goblins/orcs, and hobgoblins/orogs/half-orcs/scro. Of course, D&D gave them kind of different origins, but in the sources that inspired them they are quite the same.

True, but I believe that the scro have received more extensive write-ups than hobgoblins have. While I'm not fan of hobgoblins and prefer scro, my suggestion was based on the fact that we do have a good write-up on scro, and they could thus serve as a good starting point for any similar group.

So I was suggesting to look at a race of hostile, militaristic humanoids, with an established civilization, imperial tendencies, and extensive holdings, and to use them as inspiration for creating an empire of hostile, militaristic humanoids.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  23:39:51  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I swapped out the Tuigan from the Hordelands and replaced them with Hobgoblins. I have not really explored it in any detail, but it seemed like the best place to put them. It explains their Asian like feel, and gives them plenty of space to have had established an empire which collapsed. They would have then become a tribal and clan based society roaming the Endless Waste. Give them a dash of Japanese shogunate and a dash of mongol horde flavor... and well, it fits nicely.

I have not had time to really flesh it out, and patch up any holes that might come from doing it. I am sure it creates problems with existing canon, but it is likely nothing that can't be easily fixed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000