Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Hobgoblin empire: Surprised we haven't seen one.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 01 Mar 2015 : 15:09:19
When you read the description of Hobgoblins you will notice that they are very militaristic and regimented.

This is one race that I expect to have some kind of kingdom or empire. Are there any record of their being a hobgoblin kingdom in the Realms and would you like to see the rise of one?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aldrick Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 23:39:51
Personally, I swapped out the Tuigan from the Hordelands and replaced them with Hobgoblins. I have not really explored it in any detail, but it seemed like the best place to put them. It explains their Asian like feel, and gives them plenty of space to have had established an empire which collapsed. They would have then become a tribal and clan based society roaming the Endless Waste. Give them a dash of Japanese shogunate and a dash of mongol horde flavor... and well, it fits nicely.

I have not had time to really flesh it out, and patch up any holes that might come from doing it. I am sure it creates problems with existing canon, but it is likely nothing that can't be easily fixed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 20:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration.
(...)

This truly goes on personal preference, but D&D is truly full of "variantions on the same theme". We have goblins/orcs, and hobgoblins/orogs/half-orcs/scro. Of course, D&D gave them kind of different origins, but in the sources that inspired them they are quite the same.

True, but I believe that the scro have received more extensive write-ups than hobgoblins have. While I'm not fan of hobgoblins and prefer scro, my suggestion was based on the fact that we do have a good write-up on scro, and they could thus serve as a good starting point for any similar group.

So I was suggesting to look at a race of hostile, militaristic humanoids, with an established civilization, imperial tendencies, and extensive holdings, and to use them as inspiration for creating an empire of hostile, militaristic humanoids.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 19:59:01
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Where in Faerun would you establish a scro colony, Wooly? Though polar opposites, I sometimes confuse scro and ondonti

Given that scro are a spelljamming race, they can pop up pretty much anywhere.

They'd be more likely to establish a garrison than a colony, I think.

I don't know any place, off the top of my head, where I'd place a scro colony... Their goals would be basic military concerns -- resources, defenses, proximity to the enemy.

That said, they might settle in an abandoned/conquered elven city, if one met their needs. Their hatred of elves would make them delight in living in a formerly elven homeland, I think.
Barastir Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 17:34:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration.
(...)

This truly goes on personal preference, but D&D is truly full of "variantions on the same theme". We have goblins/orcs, and hobgoblins/orogs/half-orcs/scro. Of course, D&D gave them kind of different origins, but in the sources that inspired them they are quite the same.
Fellfire Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 16:42:41
Where in Faerun would you establish a scro colony, Wooly? Though polar opposites, I sometimes confuse scro and ondonti
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 16:13:52
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I'm actually in the middle of creating my own world and I'm thinking about starting it off where a long defeated Hobgoblin empire is rising again. I was thinking about making the empire like feudal japan where the Hobgoblins are lords and goblins are the peasants. Bugbears would be the muscle that the lords keep around for protection and heavy lifting.

I want to make them very civilized and want to conquer.

You may want to look to the scro of the Spelljammer setting, for inspiration. They were originally orcs, but have become highly militaristic, educated (they frequently learn elvish to insult elves in their own tongue), and civilized (in that they have a civilization, not in that they will invite you round for tea and scones).

They are an entirely separate race, now, but still physically resemble their progenitors.

And obviously, they're not hobgoblins, but at the least, they can serve as inspiration for your hobgoblin empire.

Me, I'm a huge fan of the scro, and would use them, instead -- but this isn't my project.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 13:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I'm not certain but I recall the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy having hobgoblins in it, but I don't know if those would count as having a kingdom or just a small area that they dominated.

The Chosen of Nendawen looks interesting. I own one of the books and can't wait until I find the other two so I can start reading.
Barastir Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 12:19:18
This is a nice idea, hobgoblin society fits well with japanese shogunate and samurai-based society. No wonder the hobgoblin in 1e art were depicted wearing samurai armor, and in 2e with some oriental flavor. Besides, in 1e Oriental Adventures hobgoblins are among the AD&D monsters found in the East.
sfdragon Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 07:41:47
make sure their favorite meal is elf.
Shadowsoul Posted - 07 Mar 2015 : 20:23:34
I'm actually in the middle of creating my own world and I'm thinking about starting it off where a long defeated Hobgoblin empire is rising again. I was thinking about making the empire like feudal japan where the Hobgoblins are lords and goblins are the peasants. Bugbears would be the muscle that the lords keep around for protection and heavy lifting.

I want to make them very civilized and want to conquer.
Steven Schend Posted - 07 Mar 2015 : 18:59:18
Could have sworn that I buried a former hobgoblin empire in Tethyr's history to give some story to the Gorge of the Fallen Idol (although I'm typing this without checking anything and could totally be misremembering everything, given that it's been nearly 20 years since I wrote Lands of Intrigue).

Steven
MrHedgehog Posted - 02 Mar 2015 : 04:26:24
That would be a cool idea.

Sythsillian Empire had Hobgoblins in it, didn't it? (not entirely a Hobgoblin Empire... run by Oni/Ogre Mage but still...)
George Krashos Posted - 02 Mar 2015 : 00:33:04
See my Impiltur Timeline hosted here at the Keep.

-- George Krashos
Barastir Posted - 01 Mar 2015 : 18:23:02
Ask Jakuta Khan, and look after the Gorge of the Fallen Idol in Tethyr, the Sythilisian empire, Hlundadim, and Holorarar.
Tanthalas Posted - 01 Mar 2015 : 17:19:55
I'm not certain but I recall the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy having hobgoblins in it, but I don't know if those would count as having a kingdom or just a small area that they dominated.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Mar 2015 : 16:29:04
check around Impiltur

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000