Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Shadow Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  16:53:09  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

Hello to all. I had been wondering about this for a long time, how did the shadow weave truly originated, can anyone enlighten me?

They haven't gone into detail, however, my theory is it was created at the same time. The Shadow Weave, is exactly what it's called, a SHADOW of the Weave. The Shadow Weave functions where the Weave doesn't because, well a shadow can exist on many degrees (and angles of light.)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  17:51:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, either the FRCS or Magic of Faerûn states that Shar experimented for a long time before creating the Shadow Weave.

I'm at work right now (and my books aren't), so I'll have to check that when I get home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  19:29:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
From Magic of Faerûn
Shar studied the weave and used her own energy in remote parts of the world to experiment on it, eventually coming to understand how it worked and duplicating its effect with her own subtle an dark creation

This what you were thinking of Wooly?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  20:18:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
From Magic of Faerûn
Shar studied the weave and used her own energy in remote parts of the world to experiment on it, eventually coming to understand how it worked and duplicating its effect with her own subtle an dark creation

This what you were thinking of Wooly?

Yup, that was it.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  20:36:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish they would make up thier minds about this, of course newest source over writes older in some convoluted way.

Core Rules, Official rules suppliments, with novels somewhere in between sometimes trumping last rules descriptions of Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  12:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it appears the Shadow Weave is independent of the Weave, is it true?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  14:18:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

So it appears the Shadow Weave is independent of the Weave, is it true?

I suppose it could be interpreted as such... to a degree.

Magic of Faerun states that the Shadow Weave occupies the spaces *between* the strands that compose the Weave across Faerun. As is, the Shadow Weave is a distorted copy of the Weave itself.

It is also said that should Mystra ever again perish and the Weave collapse, the Shadow Weave would remain. This would seem to indicate a degree of independence from the Weave itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  03:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I heard that Mystra is somehow interwined with the Weave, so if she dies, the Weave will collapse. But one question bothers me, will Ao permit the Weave to collapse? From what I think, Ao would want a balance of powers of good and bad.
Also, if the Weave collapses, all magic save Shadow Magic remains, is it true?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:49:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Greetings, I heard that Mystra is somehow interwined with the Weave, so if she dies, the Weave will collapse. But one question bothers me, will Ao permit the Weave to collapse? From what I think, Ao would want a balance of powers of good and bad.

It's already happened once -- when Karsus cast his Ultimate Mistake spell, stealing Mystryl's power, magic stopped working all over Toril. She reincarnated herself as Mystra, and kickstarted magic again.

quote:

That's what it says in the books, though I don't see how a shadow of something can remain with the original is gone...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:33:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's what it says in the books, though I don't see how a shadow of something can remain with the original is gone...

I would assume that has something to do with the "copy" aspect of the Shadow Weave itself. Even if the original were to be destroyed, or somehow removed... the copy (or Shadow) of the Weave would remain. It would of course, still be tied to Shar.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  09:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You, The Sage & Wooly Rupert for the replies.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shayan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  13:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Shayan's Homepage Send Shayan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cities that survived the Fall of Netheril (I love Netheril )
To quote Netheril: Empire of Magic - WoTC 2E (I think it's downloadable from the WoTC site now)

quote:

By the time she was completed, she was able to
save only three of Netheril’s floating cities; the rest were utterly
destroyed. These three—Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath—were
high enough above the ground to survive. The cities safely landed,
and the survivors stumbled away from the cities in shock.

Within a few short months, the inhabitants of the surviving
three cities left, fearful of the phaerimm, the gods, and the orcs.
About one-third migrated northward, with the rest traveling
south to create the shadows—or “survivor states” for the optimistic-
of Netheril; Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath.

It mentions nothing of Selûnarra.
I am very interested in finding out what happened to it. Any info is appreciated :)

Someone please tell me where to buy FR books in Australia!! Pretty Please...
Shayan's Subrace Engine - for NWNhttp://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2603
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  13:32:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shayan

Cities that survived the Fall of Netheril (I love Netheril )
To quote Netheril: Empire of Magic - WoTC 2E (I think it's downloadable from the WoTC site now)

quote:

By the time she was completed, she was able to
save only three of Netheril’s floating cities; the rest were utterly
destroyed. These three—Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath—were
high enough above the ground to survive. The cities safely landed,
and the survivors stumbled away from the cities in shock.

Within a few short months, the inhabitants of the surviving
three cities left, fearful of the phaerimm, the gods, and the orcs.
About one-third migrated northward, with the rest traveling
south to create the shadows—or “survivor states” for the optimistic-
of Netheril; Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath.

It mentions nothing of Selûnarra.
I am very interested in finding out what happened to it. Any info is appreciated :)

The only real info is the blurb in Lost Empires of Faerûn.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  16:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selunarra was previously known as Opus or am I incorrect?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  17:40:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Selunarra was previously known as Opus or am I incorrect?

I believe that is correct. I remember thinking it was odd to name a city after a comic strip penguin...

Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  01:49:06  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Essentially they are quickly moving towards a good magic/bad magic situation, which I think would be silly and pointless.

Ugh, I'd hate for magic to turn into the force. Though I love SW I think that its too simple a way of thinking for my taste. I prefer the days when there was only magic and it was your own conscience that determines if the magic is "good" or "evil" (even if certain paths, like necromancy, bring you closer to "evil"). And you're right, magic has never been shown to be inherently good.

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  12:46:16  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it would be pointless to go to a good magic/bad magic concept. Is a gun a Good Gun or an Evil Gun because of who makes it? Not really, it's still a gun. Quality of a tool may be different, aspects, such as range, accuracy, and jamming may be different, but there's no "moral" alignment to the gun.

The same should be true for Magic, I think. Yes, the Shadow Weave is Dark, and cold, and apparently not good for the complexion, but to say it's ~EVIL~, and that Mystra based magic is ~GOOD~ is silly. No matter what the type of magic, it can be used to selfish or altruistic reasons.

The Light Side and Dark Side of the Force is important for the Star Wars core concept of evil verses good. Also, the Force is the Force, it in and of itself is not good or evil, it's the paths that one takes to manipulate and utilize the Force that is Light or Dark. Even if WotC was trying to use that as an example of the course of magic in the Realms, in the end Toril is not Coruscant.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  00:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When first glancing at this forum today, I saw the word "Spider Weave".

So I think there should be a special Spider Weave just for drow!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  12:36:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

When first glancing at this forum today, I saw the word "Spider Weave".

So I think there should be a special Spider Weave just for drow!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  15:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since it has been speculated in this thread years ago if the shadow weave is independent of the weave, which one is the mightier one, etc., I think it is good to quote lore form Ed himself in this thread* (post by THO on 15 Mar 2006 : 01:40:52) for further reference:

* Is there any way to link to a given post in a thread directly?

quote:
I sent this thread to Ed Greenwood for the definitive two coppers’ worth, and he’s replied.
Here’s Ed:

The concept of darkfire or shadowfire is attractive, but to champion it requires a misunderstanding of what the Shadow Weave really is. It’s NOT (despite the propaganda betimes put out by the clergy of Shar) a separate (and equal) system of magic to the Weave; rather, it exists as an echo of the Weave, matching and surpassing the Weave only when Shar personally feeds it with her divine power (and, being an essentially a selfish, ruthless entity, such feedings will be rare acts indeed; she doesn’t CARE what happens to mortal worshippers).
Spellfire is the raw energy of magic, a taste of the way magic was before there was a Weave, restricted (in some small ways) by the Weave (that is, by the will of Mystra). The Shadow Weave works by drawing on this same energy, so there is no shadowfire: there is only spellfire. Shar as a divine power could give certain of her mortal followers a “darkfire” analagous to the silver fire of Mystra (sharing her divine power, in other words), IF she desired to.
She could not give the Shadow Weave users spellfire, because it, by its very nature, consumes and rends shadow weave-magic far more swiftly and more widely than it does Weave-based spells.
To those who argue that Shar could kill Mystra or destroy the Weave: those two things are the same, as Mystra IS the Weave. No mortal yet knows what would then happen, but it should be obvious that as an echo of the Weave, the Shadow Weave itself would also be destroyed (or would collapse).
Remember, the Weave isn’t the energies of magic. The Weave is magic: that is, a system of harnessing those energies by means of an existing body of spells.
The new TOME OF MAGIC presents three other “systems” of harnessing energies (“magical forces,” most sages would call them). One of those systems is Shadow Magic, and it provides magic that followers of Shar could well turn to, either if the Weave is gone, OR if a DM wants to postulate that Shadow Weave users can tap into this system. Unfortunately, one of the things that Shadow Magic as presented in that tome doesn’t provide users is “shadowfire” or darkfire as it’s been discussed in this thread thus far.
Various TSR and WotC designers and fiction writers and I have discussed these matters many times over the years, to hammer out agreement on the specifics of what Mystra can and can’t do, what Shar can and can’t do, and what the Weave and the Shadow Weave can and can’t do. Please remember two things: divine situations in the Realms aren’t static; there will inevitably be “developments” in the struggle between Shar and Mystra. And as the creator of Shar, Mystra, AND the Realms, I’m in a position to see things more clearly than anyone else.

So saith Ed. Interesting, VERY interesting.
love to all,
THO

So:
- the shadow weave cannot exist independent from the weave without direct support from Shar
- the shadow weave will not match or surpass the weave except Shar intervenes

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000