Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Most missed "Dead" Deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  07:47:27  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with CorellonsDevout wholeheartedly, having Eilistraee return in some form is better than her not returning at all. Although it seems like she might still be alive after all? Oh, and I'd also like to apologize for the rant-ish nature of my earlier post (still felt good to get it off my chest).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  11:28:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

@Lillianviaten: I remember that scene in LP, and I got the impression she was dead. The servitor--forgetting his name--practically said as much. Her realm didn't disappear because Corellon stepped in. However, I could very well be wrong and misunderstood those last scenes, in which case, I'll amend my earlier wishes from "back to life", to "come back into the scene". I hope you're right in that she is alive. I'd prefer Vhaeraun be himself again instead of being merged with his sister, but I'll take the Masked Lady over not having them at all.

The servitor is clueless. He even says something like ''Eilistraee isn't needed, because the ''willing'' drow were freed, while the other ones were unwilling and cast down'', which is complete BS (I mean, seriously, the unwilling were cast down? This is wrong in so many ways that it's not even funny, and completely against what Eilistraee stands for). Eilistraee didn't get an explicit death scene, her avatar was destroyed, but she simply disappeared. It isn't wise to trust mortal's or even random celestial's view on a god's plan.

As for Corellon, he accepted to protect the brown elves, preventing Lolth from taking them. AFAIK, he isn't the one keeping Eilistraee's Realm. Also his reaction to the whole matter is strangely calm (and it's not because he wanted to hide his feelings, Lolth is obviously aware of them...).

Anyway the situation is so muddy that we can't say E or V are dead, and this is the effect the author intended to achieve (according to what she said).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Sep 2013 11:29:36
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  00:27:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, if she isn't dead, that's great, I just got the impression she was.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  02:01:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the point was that she is dead to WotC, but probably not if we look at the various loopholes left in the plot.

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  04:57:32  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly like the idea that Gods can be killed and that portfolios change hands in the Realms.

I enjoy the celestial power struggles and machinations. I do think however that the wholesale slaughter and disruption of the pantheon for 4e was a bit much. I would enjoy seeing a return of E or V or a combination deity for sure.

I just hope the "new" realms still maintains some element of the Pantheons battles and scheming and the possibility that one God could be killed or a mortal could ascend to Godhood (ala Cyric, I just hope that they are stories that are told and serve a purpose for advancing a particular story arc rather than just a mass sweeping change for changes sake.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  18:07:06  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I honestly like the idea that Gods can be killed and that portfolios change hands in the Realms.

I enjoy the celestial power struggles and machinations. I do think however that the wholesale slaughter and disruption of the pantheon for 4e was a bit much. I would enjoy seeing a return of E or V or a combination deity for sure.

I just hope the "new" realms still maintains some element of the Pantheons battles and scheming and the possibility that one God could be killed or a mortal could ascend to Godhood (ala Cyric, I just hope that they are stories that are told and serve a purpose for advancing a particular story arc rather than just a mass sweeping change for changes sake.

How about a mortal ascending to Godhood by killing Cyric? Gods know he's got it coming to him. (This might be a little obvious but I'm not a big fan of Cyric.)
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  18:24:50  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When i voted i was rather surprised to see Mask was ahead. I would have thought Lathander or Helm would have had the pole.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  01:27:55  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

When i voted i was rather surprised to see Mask was ahead. I would have thought Lathander or Helm would have had the pole.

Lathander is already back. He never really left. he just changed back to his original form.

But Mask always has been one of the most popular gods.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:04:11  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, I do miss Bhaal the lord of Murder.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  11:14:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

Well its look like he will be back soon enough so rejoice.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  20:32:12  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

Well its look like he will be back soon enough so rejoice.

Oh really? Then I shall definitely rejoice!! HAHA

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  15:55:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The High One, Azuth the Lord of Spells. Despite knowing so little of his story...I'm willing to bet a cheeseburger and some toe-nail clippings that he achieved godhood on pure merit.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  13:34:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrkul

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  16:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose a six month thread necromancy isn't that bad.

Lets get Ibrandul back, baby! Its his time, considering Lathander's return, and Lolth and Shar's activity.

Although it wouldn't happen, I'd be interested in seeing a combined Eilistraee Vhaeurun. It creates a single drow deity potentially powerful enough to give some opposition to Lolth, and can make for many interesting stories as a deity somewhat opposed to itself. The Vhaerunites and Eilistraeans can compete to see their favored aspects of their deity gain ascendancy over the other half. To some degree, they're in it together (same deity) but jockeying for dominance.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  16:29:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mielikki and Bhaal are officially back (Mielikki has never left AFAIK), but they are still in the poll

quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Although it wouldn't happen, I'd be interested in seeing a combined Eilistraee Vhaeurun. It creates a single drow deity potentially powerful enough to give some opposition to Lolth, and can make for many interesting stories as a deity somewhat opposed to itself. The Vhaerunites and Eilistraeans can compete to see their favored aspects of their deity gain ascendancy over the other half. To some degree, they're in it together (same deity) but jockeying for dominance.

Eilistraee and Vhaeraun could team up and be strong enough to at least give Lolth some opposition. Their different approaches don't justify them being enemies, considering that the part of their goal about creating a place in the world for the drow, wanting them to be free to choose their life and stop killing each other, is something that both siblings share. Sure there would be contrasts among their followers about how to handle some situations, but such things happen even among followers of the same deity (and would be interesting to see).

Losing both their unique characters for what basically is a new one with split personality isn't a fair exchange IMO, but having it exist on its own after the two of them merged could be a thing. Maybe an heresy gave birth to an actual Masked Lady (or -as other scribes proposed- another deity took the alias), unknowingly to both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, and now they have to deal with her, decide whether she is an ally or enemy, try to gain influence over her (by letting one of her aspects to take over, like you proposed. And this would translate in followers of E/V trying to influence the followers of the third deity) and so on...

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Jun 2014 16:44:02
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  22:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mielikki and Bhaal are officially back (Mielikki has never left AFAIK), but they are still in the poll [?!:

I can find no sources that state either are "alive" again. Bhaal lives through "Bhallspawn," but I don't see a novel or source that lists him as returned to divinity. I was actually going to post about Mielikki, because she's listed as "dead" on the Forgotten Realms Wiki (used in the past tense) but seems very active in Bob Salvatore's books. If someone has something that points to either deities (or any others) being alive in canon, I'll update the poll accordingly.

Cheers.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  22:07:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR wiki lists Mielikki as alive and intermediate power (just go to her page)

Bhaal has come back with the ''Murder in Baldur's Gate'' Sundering adventure.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  06:40:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  09:36:44  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just noticed that Azuth edited the poll. And the deity I miss the most is still Eilistraee.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000