Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 top 3 drizzt novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  18:34:52  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what are your top three drizzt novels and why? I have been away from the series for some time now and wonder how are the new stuff (last 2 or 3 trilogies I suppose)

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  21:08:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Servant of the Shard - it's my favorite Drizzt novel even though he's not in it. Probably because he's not in it. I just love the Jarlaxle/Artemis bromance and I really enjoy all things Kimmuriel Oblodra.

2) The Crystal Shard - First of the Drizzt books I ever read and it was magical to me to learn about the Icewind Dales, so isolated and frozen. Great characters and fun battles, even if the enemies were a bit "daft" as my grandmother would say.

3) Tie for either Ghost King or The Companions. These were both very good books, I dislike many things about Ghost King that Bob had to do because of the Smellplague but these were undone by the Companions, which was also a great book. Really tough call. I suppose The Companions because it ends on less of a downer.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  21:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Sojourn. I started reading Realms novels with this trilogy. By the time Drizzt finally reached this point, I was ready. The solitary life in Exile was interesting, but depressing. Sojourn just came as a triumphant "finally."
2) Ghost King. Just because of how heart-rending it is, but at the same time grand and epic. When I finished this novel, it was years before I could read another Drizzt novel. And it wasn't until The Companions released that I read the Neverwinter series.
3) The Companions or Night of the Hunter. I'm really torn between the two. They're just great; full of that old school feel. It's like finishing the Lord of the Rings, crying your eyes out because of how much good is lost, then picking up a sequel and reading how they rebuilt bigger and better than before.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  21:31:14  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sojourn was good EXCEPT for that elf ranger friend of Dove's who was murdered by the big fat idiot; and that big fat idiot had NO COMEUPPANCE and Dove didn't even track him down and kill him in revenge? Whyever not? She loves her friends. Bruenor and Drizzt let that fat bast$rd live too at the end? After he tried to rape Cattie-Brie and stalked Drizzt the whole book? Made me hate the entire novel.
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  01:54:49  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favourite books is hard favourite Saga would be easier.

The Thousand Orcs being the first Drizzt novel I read, will always have a special place in my heart.

The Crystal Shard, it didn't spawn the legacy that is Drizzt for no reason.

The third one is hard I really liked the synergy between Dahlia and Drizzt in the first 2 Neverwinter books, knowing it'll never be more than a fling to Drizzt, but the love triangle felt very forced and I never was a big fan of Artemis. So I'd have to settle on The Last Threshold as it showed everything that was wrong with his new companions and how the Companions of The Hall are irreplaceable.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection

Edited by - Crystyn on 21 Jun 2014 01:55:18
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  04:20:47  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only about 2/3 through The Last Threshold, which I am enjoying thoroughly, but I'm having a hard time finding enough free time to just sit down and read. I have yet to read the two latest, but I understand that my faves may change once I do.

1. The Crystal Shard. The original, and the intro to each of the Companions. Brings back nostalgia every time I think about it. Gives me tingly feelings in my fingers every time I crack it open. I have it in 4 different editions!

2. Siege of Darkness. Dwarves on their home turf against an army of invading drow? Frickin' A! Bob really explored Mithral Hall in all its glory within the pages of this glorious adventure tale, and I soaked in all of those details like a sponge. The Hall is my personal playland of the mind.

3. Tie between The Pirate King and The Ghost King. They're both terribly sad, depressing tales of woe, but they're done so well. Bob totally went against type and threw his two biggest heroes for a complete loop in these books. The good guys do not always win, and it actually feels good to have that painful lesson illustrated so viscerally. Thinking of the losses in both those stories just brought a tear to my eye, right now.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  21:10:41  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started Pirate King after some years of not reading any Drizzt. I think around 4 years maybe more. It is good to see you guys think Pirate and Ghost King are good.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  06:09:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

I started Pirate King after some years of not reading any Drizzt. I think around 4 years maybe more. It is good to see you guys think Pirate and Ghost King are good.

Yeah, The Orc King is a good read, and a very important book for late-3E/4E Realmslore. But it pissed me off, completely! The feeling it engenders, for me, is total anger!

The other two books in "Transitions" are definitely more sad stories. There's great, traditional Salvatorean action in both, of course. But the overall feel is tragic.

I want my "Transitions Omnibus Collector's Edition", WOTC, gods damn it! I've only been waiting 4 1/2 years...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  11:57:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm well I would ahve to say my favorite one is the Crystal Shard, I must have reread it ten times at least. It was also the first FR book that I managed to get my hands on and made me an instant fan.
The Orc King was also very good. I really enjoyed the story arc of orcs building their own civilization.
Last but not least is The Companions, after the somewhat mediocre books RAS has been writing recently this one was a pleasant surprise.
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  11:45:56  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Homeland

2. Crystal Shard

3. Streams of Silver - mainly because this is the intro to Entreri, the original, when he was as bad ass of an assassin that you'd ever find.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  23:31:47  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourites are:

1. Sojourn
2. The Halfling's Gem
3. Exile

But keep in mind I've only read up until The Ghost King. I'm currently about 100 pages into The Ghost King.
The Crystal Shard & Starless Night receive honorable mentions.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 22 Jul 2014 23:33:52
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  00:01:56  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually quite enjoyed them all, except for Starless Night (found it quite dull) and Spine of the World (I always found Wulfgar v1 excruciatingly uninteresting).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000