Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  01:38:43  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a member of the City Watch of Waterdeep by the name of Marael, apparently (Blackstaff Tower, according to the wiki).

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  02:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different Maeral. I'm afraid I don't have a surname to go with the one I'm talking about to clarify it, but I will say she predates that settlement being named "Waterdeep"

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 20 Jul 2016 02:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  10:33:11  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maeral's Dream was the dream of peace between men and elves and dwarves and was referred to in the novel Elminster in Myth Drannor...
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  12:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

Maeral's Dream was the dream of peace between men and elves and dwarves and was referred to in the novel Elminster in Myth Drannor...

Well done. Credit goes to Iahn Qoyllor.
You're up

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  14:35:10  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Adhriva!

Right, who was the leader of the Vil Adanrath and what was the title of said leader?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  16:32:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi guys - I'm aware that some of you have tried to cast a resurrection spell or two on this thread before and that this could be all be for nowt, however I still thought I'd get the defribrillators out and give it a go - clear!

Good to see this is working out! Resurrection successful I'd say. Are you a paramedic Iahn or do you just watch a lot of Grey's Anatomy? :P
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  05:18:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Adhriva!

Right, who was the leader of the Vil Adanrath and what was the title of said leader?

Hrast!! I know they're Lythari, and were featured in one of my favorite realms novels, Cry of the Ghostwolf.

I can't remember the leaders name.......but wasn't he also know as Master of the hunt?

Man I love that trilogy!

I hope this helps someone get the answer, as its after midnight here and I have to be up at 6, so I can't pull the novels out tonight.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  06:37:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just derailing the thread slightly, I've been on the lookout for those novels for a while, but Australia isn't the best place for picking up out of print stuff like that. Question: do they have any lore on the ancient empires of the region (ala Raumathar, Narfell etc.)?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  15:18:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just derailing the thread slightly, I've been on the lookout for those novels for a while, but Australia isn't the best place for picking up out of print stuff like that. Question: do they have any lore on the ancient empires of the region (ala Raumathar, Narfell etc.)?

-- George Krashos

Beyond what's revealed of some of the characters and their connections to those lands, not much... at least, nothing new other than a rehashing of what you and fellow designers have long established for sources on the Demonlands in past lore.

If you're still interested in obtaining printed copies of those books, I've seen a few still on sale at my local bookstore. I could purchase them for you and then ship them your way -- no charge...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  19:36:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

-- George Krashos

Beyond what's revealed of some of the characters and their connections to those lands, not much... at least, nothing new other than a rehashing of what you and fellow designers have long established for sources on the Demonlands in past lore.

If you're still interested in obtaining printed copies of those books, I've seen a few still on sale at my local bookstore. I could purchase them for you and then ship them your way -- no charge...

If that doesn't work out, I can hook you up when next you make it to GenCon.

I'm 50/50 for this year, but if you guys are both in next year, I'm 100% for 2017.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  19:38:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The leader of the Vil Adanrath Is Nendawen, The Master of the Hunt.

From the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy among other sources I'm sure.

Ed/ misspelled nendawen!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jul 2016 19:39:00
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  19:48:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keeping with the theme of the last question, one that I can quickly ask.....

Where is Nendawen's Sanctuary? And who is his Nemesis?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  21:35:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still haven't read that series. Must fix that some time.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  22:54:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't do it George! It will take Sage 13 years to get around to mailing them to you...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 21 Jul 2016 22:56:31
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  02:07:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Absolutely interested, but not on the basis of "no charge". E-mail me the details and I'll get the funds to you. Otherwise, we can do a contra ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  02:12:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
If that doesn't work out, I can hook you up when next you make it to GenCon.

I'm 50/50 for this year, but if you guys are both in next year, I'm 100% for 2017.

I'm pretty likely to make it next year. The 30th anniversary of the release of the Ol' Grey Box sounds like a cause for celebration. I'm hoping Ed can make it - if not, I'm going to prise a truckload of realmslore out of him for the event and see what we can do to Skype him in.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  04:16:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Absolutely interested, but not on the basis of "no charge". E-mail me the details and I'll get the funds to you. Otherwise, we can do a contra ...

-- George Krashos

Sounds good.

I'll be visiting that store early next week, to pick up some delivered pre-orders. So I'll purchase those books then.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  08:55:09  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Vil Adanrath were a nomadic clan of lythari who inhabited the Endless Wastes whilst Nendawen was an ancient spirit and virtually a demigod who was associated with the wild rather than actually being specifically associated with the lythari. Although the source you cited is certainly correct

Apologies if I picked one which was too obscure - shall I just reveal the answer and let this move on to the next question guys?

quote:

Ed/ misspelled nendawen!

Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  08:56:42  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Masked Mage, great to see it's still breathing!

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Hi guys - I'm aware that some of you have tried to cast a resurrection spell or two on this thread before and that this could be all be for nowt, however I still thought I'd get the defribrillators out and give it a go - clear!

Good to see this is working out! Resurrection successful I'd say. Are you a paramedic Iahn or do you just watch a lot of Grey's Anatomy? :P

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  01:47:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Vil Adanrath were a nomadic clan of lythari who inhabited the Endless Wastes whilst Nendawen was an ancient spirit and virtually a demigod who was associated with the wild rather than actually being specifically associated with the lythari. Although the source you cited is certainly correct

Apologies if I picked one which was too obscure - shall I just reveal the answer and let this move on to the next question guys?

quote:

I'd say go ahead and move on to another question - this one seems to have stalled the challenge pretty well :)0

Ed/ misspelled nendawen!

Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  09:50:51  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a fresh one to get the ball rolling:

Where does the Shrine of the Cowled Serpents lie and to whom was it originally dedicated?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  16:38:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS'thar'tiss'ssun. Ssharstrun I assume... Serpent Kingdoms under Naga Fountain.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  18:51:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed/ misspelled nendawen!

Hmmmmm, I didn't know that the book on the eastern Lythari had some add ons. I liked the original, and this looks to be near Rashemen. Guess I'm spending some money. Damn, they're expensive if not kindle edition. Guess I'll be e-reading.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  09:26:20  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correctomundo Masked Mage!

Also the answer to my previous question, for those interested, regarding the leader of the Vil Adanrath was Haerul and his title was the Omah Nin. Over to you Masked Mage.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  02:56:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright then, here it goes:

Where in the realms would one find Nadul DaRoni, what else are you sure to find there, and what real-life person is he obviously based on?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2016 :  20:57:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No takers on this one? Should I provide a hint?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2016 :  21:25:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since no one has touched this one, I'd provide a hint or two.

I may take it if no one else does. I don't recall the answer off the top of my head, but I have the source material on Nadul readily available, and in digital format.

I may have even asked a question on him myself, during one of the previous incarnations of the challenge.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Aug 2016 21:26:08
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  04:44:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok here goes a hint: Nadul DaRoni is a hermit, and as such does not live with others - so you you will find him with things, not people. He has an entire section of a early Realms publication devoted to him.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  04:59:50  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Since no one has touched this one, I'd provide a hint or two.

I may take it if no one else does. I don't recall the answer off the top of my head, but I have the source material on Nadul readily available, and in digital format.

I may have even asked a question on him myself, during one of the previous incarnations of the challenge.

I was thinking you might know the answer - glad to see I was right :)
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  08:48:24  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can answer bits of your question (I think) - He is a Rock Gnome artificer who can be found in the wilds of the Storm Horn mountains; You're sure to find lots of inventions there due to his workshop and the presence of lots of worshipers of Nebelun (Gond); I have no idea what real life person he is based on...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000