Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Semberholme
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  01:13:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Tried to find another thread about this, but there was only one, and it quickly turned into something else entirely (not even FR related).

So, here's my question: Is this site still occupied?

Also, why 'holme'? Isn't that suffix usually used by dwarves? (and the fact that there is an enormous cave-complex underneath the entire wood gives me all sorts of nifty ideas where that's concerned).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  04:01:55  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It is occupied by survivors from the second fall of Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  05:27:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, why 'holme'? Isn't that suffix usually used by dwarves? (and the fact that there is an enormous cave-complex underneath the entire wood gives me all sorts of nifty ideas where that's concerned).

"That's not the same as how the Dwarves say '-holme' at all. That's just how N'Tel'Quessir record it. Because their crude ears cannot tell the difference."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  05:51:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was thinking of providing a 'fix' with a little homebrew/fanlore. I was going to tie it to some other 'dwarfy stuff' I have mentally going on around (and under) Cormyr.

IIRC, there is even a fallen dwarf kingdom right there, in the Thunder Peaks.

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

It is occupied by survivors from the second fall of Myth Drannor.

Now I'm even more confused... Myth Drannor re-fell?

Next you're going to tell me the Netherese and Imaskari re-fell... oh... wait...

What about 1e/2e/ early 3e era? Was it completely abandoned? Was it a ruin, or just 'empty'? I seem to recall something about it from somewhere - maybe the Spellfree novel? I thought there were folks that still guarded it.

So it was completely 'emptied' as part of the Retreat? Or was something else involved? I never read any of the elf novels from late 3e - Myth Drannor was retaken, at least in-part, right? They lost that again? That seems rather pointless.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2017 05:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  15:04:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC it was lightly inhabited by Elves before The Elven Crusade to retake Myth Drannor. It was the staging area. I guess after Shade Enclave dropping on Myth Drannor the Elves withdrew to a known secure location in the area.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  20:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before Spellplague it was protected by Deeping Dale's inhabitants who count many half-elves to their numbers and some elven protectors who stayed here by choice.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2017 :  21:35:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to pretty much every source I know of, Semberholme was never entirely abandoned during the Retreat... the reason for this can be traced back to the legends about its significance to Corellon.

I have Semberholme as kind of a more secretive Evereska... the elves are there, but their magic has successfully obscured their presence completely for centuries.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  22:04:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explorer Markustay,

I was just looking into some Semberholme material and ran across a canon note that there are agents of the Eldreth Veluuthra that are there as of 1374 DR. Obviously not a "lived" in space as most would think of it, but nonetheless interesting. That was in Champions of Ruin, p. 79.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000