Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 4e FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  19:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackMoria

quote:
Rich Baker wrote: "On a different topic... I've been taking a real pasting on a couple of our message boards lately from irate Forgotten Realms fans.....

Isn't the tradition to 'Shoot the Messenger' when the news is unwelcome or bad.

Unfortunately, yes, that is often the case. Rich may be part of the design team for both 4E and FR, but I doubt he made any of those decisions single-handedly or on his own. They are, after all, called "teams" for a reason. I have no doubt that he had to compromise on some issues -- for example, Rich hinted that CCC was Salvatore's idea. That is why I think it is very unfair to blame a single designer for all the perceived flaws in the storyline. Besides, in my opinion he's been very honest with fans so far, answering those questions he's been allowed to.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Arenwino
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  17:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Arenwino's Homepage Send Arenwino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got to say that my view on the changes being made to the reamls are different from most of you. I what the people who have known and loved the realms for so long feel. You have grown with the realms and want it to stay the same for ever. The FR are a very special and are just amazing to play in. I've only been playing D&D for 7 years, but from the first time my first PC (who is still alive and well!) walked on the realms (in Waterdeep), I've been in love with this setting. When 3.5 came, I decided it was time for me to try the new rules. Got a group of 6 friends and we started a campaign in the FR. 5 of those 6 friends had never played D&D and didn't know anything about the FR. After a couple of gaming sessions they started to understand what was going on in the Fr and to get the flavour of the world. It was a big learning curve, but they became FR junkies. I've come to a point where I love the realms but... Sometimes, I'd like a surprise.I'd like to be lost in a place I know well. When I heard of the 4th ed and the 4th ed realms I said to myself: let's burn WOTC, they are evil, kill crush destroy and eat(I was in an orc mindset!) After a couple of weeks and some pills, i calmed down and well, I'm starting to like this. The FR are a living world. They need to change, evolve. If not they will die. Same thing for the game we all love. For me, a 100 year jump and all the other changes give me many ideas for new campaigns and I know that I'll be playing FR for many more years!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  21:21:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich's newest post on WOTC's boards, which was posted today.

"Hi, Yaeri --

I'm not really allowed to disclose sales info, and to be honest I haven't really heard much about the Grand History numbers anyway. (It's really the business team's gig, and I try to focus on R&D stuff first and foremost.)

Regarding a map for a web enhancement, I haven't heard of any such plans. Is there a particular map you folks are dying to get your hands on? I'll certainly suggest to our web team that it might be a great article. No reason it has to be tied to the Grand History.

And yes, we have a couple more Realms 4e titles (other than the 4th Edition Campaign Guide) in the planning stages. We haven't revealed the titles yet, but I can tell you that one is an adventure. In fact, I've got an outlining meeting on Monday morning to talk about the other one."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  02:26:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Link please

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  02:54:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Link please

Uh? The same place that Rich has posted replies for the past.... 2 or 3 years.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  03:17:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Link please

WOW that is so helpful.

Mr Baker has posted to Candlekeep, has posted to recenr established WotC Weblog (which does not contain the text you claim being posted), of course he might be posting some text in tow or more places (The few prior to this I have seenn).

I repeat my request for a link, it might be ENWorld and Mr. Baker personal site .. or for that matter another site that I do not visit.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  03:20:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Link please

WOW that is so helpful.

Mr Baker has posted to Candlekeep, has posted to recenr established WotC Weblog (which does not contain the text you claim being posted), of course he might be posting some text in tow or more places (The few prior to this I have seenn).

I repeat my request for a link, it might be ENWorld and Mr. Baker personal site .. or for that matter another site that I do not visit.

Like I said, the same spot he's posted for two or three years. If it's not his blog, if it's not Candlekeep, then let's narrow it down. It's obviously on WOTC's site, since I said so. So... let's see, oh? Maybe it's the FR boards. Hard to figure out that, especially since, just yesterday or the day before, I followed the same pattern of posting Rich's WOTC posts. So, go back a page of this thread and read.

Sorry to sound pissy but it's not that hard to figure out.

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Oct 2007 03:21:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  03:29:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Link please

WOW that is so helpful.

I don't really understand what the problem is here. Kuje has already stated, several times, that Rich's quotes are coming from the WotC message boards -- not a blog, and not EN World. And Rich has largely only posted most of his select 4e FR tidbits in the "Ask the Realms authors/designers" thread.

I would've thought this would be evident by now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  03:53:09  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could I get the link? I know that may just tick someone off...but I'm not all that computer savvy and generally unable to take a lot of time to find things.

If you would rather not, that is ok. :-)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  04:01:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I don't really understand what the problem is here. Kuje has already stated, several times, that Rich's quotes are coming from the WotC message boards -- not a blog, and not EN World. And Rich has largely only posted most of his select 4e FR tidbits in the "Ask the Realms authors/designers" thread.

The boards that should not be mentioned have been used by Mr. Baker. Those boards are hard to navigate, thus a link to an actual post is useful. I have seen many of what Kuje has posted here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=906386 not any place else. I also know that some WotC appear to have posted at ENWorld.

Is a request for a link too much to ask for that it becomes a debate?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  04:10:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I pulled it from Rich's journal, I would said it came from Rich's journal, which isn't what I said when I first posted it. Hells, you quoted me where I said it came from the WOTC boards!

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Oct 2007 04:11:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  04:23:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The boards that should not be mentioned have been used by Mr. Baker. Those boards are hard to navigate, thus a link to an actual post is useful. I have seen many of what Kuje has posted here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=906386 not any place else. I also know that some WotC appear to have posted at ENWorld.
How are they hard to navigate? I know I've never had any problems.

And, again, Kuje didn't say the EN World boards, he said the WotC boards. *shrug*
quote:
Is a request for a link too much to ask for that it becomes a debate?
To save further debate over this particular issue, here's the link to Rich's post that Kuje just recently re-posted here in this scroll at Candlekeep.

Now, that's enough of this. Let's move on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  04:38:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this whole 4e fiasco has given folks short fuses. Personally, I would have just given a link the first time - I find that sometimes its way easier then arguiing.

This is the entire thread, linked specifically to the page with the post in question.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=702942&page=23

I get Rich's attitude is sort of "it's my way or the highway", but whatever, maybe it's just the way he comes off. Its not like the man has a reputation for creating failed settings or anything... and he is responsible for that wonderful Shadoweave that we all love so much, so lets cut him some slack, Okay?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  01:19:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich's newest replies on WOTC's boards.

"The details are still mutable. We have a strong preference for not contradicting anything we just printed at the end of the Grand History (as you might imagine), but explaining things at more length or recasting the descriptions of these events a bit is possible.

I won't be doing that work myself, since I'm not actually scheduled to write the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. My time's assigned to other projects. I do intend to pass along to the fellows doing the writing work that there are a couple of points of, shall we say, intense concern that they might want to take a close look at."

and

"Hmmm, the frenzy looks pretty frothy already from where I'm sitting. I doubt that explanations I offer at this point will really help. I'll ask about it, though.

The proper name of the book is: Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (If I used FRCS before, it's just force of habit, my bad.)"

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:29:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Kuje, since Rich is not going to be writing the FRCG , have we know who all of the others are? or encountered other designers blogs with some good info?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:47:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

So Kuje, since Rich is not going to be writing the FRCG , have we know who all of the others are? or encountered other designers blogs with some good info?

Yeah, we do. Rich named four of the people that are working on the new FR book and it's the first post I posted in this thread back on page 1. :) Plus, Ed has signed on, so there's five of the names.

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Oct 2007 03:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  04:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one point Sean Reynolds told me which chapters of the FRCS its authors had chiefly worked on, but I can't find the note. Does anyone know, and Rob Heinsoo's in particular?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  04:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arenwino
The FR are a living world. They need to change, evolve.

But...this much?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  18:02:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

At one point Sean Reynolds told me which chapters of the FRCS its authors had chiefly worked on, but I can't find the note. Does anyone know, and Rob Heinsoo's in particular?

Don't know the answer here, but I just want to point out a correction.

The FRCS was 3e - the new one WILL be called the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, which is the FRCG. I suppose they wanted to use differnt initials so as not to confuse folks down the line between editions of the book.

Also, according to Rich Baker's latest blog, the changes are still maleable.

Our concerns are being addressed, and the designers will be working from notes from this point forward to address all of the things many of us have been agonizing over.

I would just like to take this moment to thank Rich Baker for that - he obviously cares about the Realms and it's customers, and does not deserve much of the derision that is being heaped upon him.

Just make it something we can love again.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  18:08:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, it wasn't in his blog, it was in the ask the designers thread at WotC -

quote:
Originally posted by WotC_RichBaker
The details are still mutable. We have a strong preference for not contradicting anything we just printed at the end of the Grand History (as you might imagine), but explaining things at more length or recasting the descriptions of these events a bit is possible.

I won't be doing that work myself, since I'm not actually scheduled to write the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. My time's assigned to other projects. I do intend to pass along to the fellows doing the writing work that there are a couple of points of, shall we say, intense concern that they might want to take a close look at.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  21:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arenwino
They need to change, evolve.
Ah, yes, (Mohinder Suresh voice), evolution. To quote the 2-page Pathfinder ad in the last print Dragon, 'Campaigns Have Evolved. Evolve with them.'

'Evolve', here, is an unspecified verb used to evoke feelings of inevitability and advantage without making a direct, examinable claim.
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Don't know the answer here, but I just want to point out a correction.

The FRCS was 3e - the new one WILL be called the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, which is the FRCG.
Yes, I mean the 2001 FRCS, which Rob also worked on.

Edited by - Faraer on 10 Oct 2007 02:00:19
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  21:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thing about evolution. If you examine the fossils of the Burgess Shale, or many other fossil lines, you'll see that oftentimes things evolve to an evolutionary dead-end. In fact, it appears that evolutionary dead-ends are more common than the lines that carry through.

So, the continued evolution of the Realms may not be so hot when one considers how often evolution leads to a dead end that won't survive.

(Sorry for the slight off-topicness. Seeing the justification that "X setting/product MUST evolve because evolution is good" gets a bit old after a while.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  01:58:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, Rich's newest WOTC board posts.

"Thanks for saying so, Markus.

I think that very large parts of the setting will still have a strong "old school" Realms feel to them. For example, my upcoming novel "Swordmage" is set in Hulburg (a few years have passed by, so it's a young and bustling frontier town, not a virtually abandoned ruin as it was in 1369). There's actually very little in my story that couldn't have happened if I'd set the story in 1374 or 1375, other than the fact that I probably would have had to choose a different town. In terms of mood, feel, character capabilities, it's still a Realms story and would have fit just fine in the 3e Realms setting. I do make use of a couple of the new features (sorry, can't say much about them yet) but if I'd stripped them out Swordmage would really have been the same story.

(That might beg the question of why go to all the trouble, if a story like Swordmage doesn't "need" a major reboot in the setting. The simple answer is this: I wanted to tell a "smaller", less-epic story this time around than I did in Last Mythal. So Swordmage is no RSE, and the heroes aren't epic-level elves. Some authors and game designers will be making more use of the new elements we're introducing, and others will be playing in areas that are a little more familiar... like the north side of the Moonsea, in my case. Swordmage doesn't make much use of the new stuff, but other stories will.)"

and

"That particular element of the core rules is still in flux at the moment; our preview article might have been a little premature. We know we're going to have some system of implements (we meant it when we said +5 wands!), but I'm going to have to see where playtesting and development wind up at before I can answer the question with any confidence."

and

"So noted. I'll pass word to the guys working on the Campaign Guide that this event can use some more explanation."

This is about the events that are previewed in the Grand History.

and

"Some of 'em will still be around. Some recover their sanity after their brush with the Spellplague, others likely remain mad (so I'd expect that the adventure scenario you describe is quite possible, if not exactly common). I can't say more than that right now."

This is about magic users.

Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  12:09:07  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else noticed that the description of Wizards in 4e sounds very similar to that of Warlocks?

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

BlackMoria
Acolyte

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  21:48:23  Show Profile  Visit BlackMoria's Homepage Send BlackMoria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Logan Bonner's Blog

quote:
Forgotten Realms
Yesterday I sat in on a meeting about the FR RPG books. It was mostly nailing down the outline for the DM's book, but they also talked some about the story. I've never really gotten into FR, but the story they were talking about set up some pretty interesting conflicts and incorporated some of the more prominent elements of 4E (races that got promoted, for example) in cool ways. I'm really looking forward to FR now. I don't know that much about FR in general, but the story team will tell me what mechanics they need, so it's not a big deal.

We also talked about who would be writing different parts of the book. Interesting...

Logan Bonner is one of the people who is assign to the FRCG. I am somewhat concerned that, by his own admission, he know very little about the FR. It sounds like his role is strictly the 'crunch' (mechanics)guy but still - if you are doing prestige classes, feats, spells, etc that are crunch, I think that one should know about the setting to make sure the crunch aligns with the fluff. He says his lack of knowledge isn't a big deal but is it?

Some tantalizing bits - the reference to the DM's book (which I take to be the new FR campaign guide). I supposed that implies that a player's book is in the wings. Looks like the FRCG will also give reasons/events as to why eladrins and tieflings are now common (they will be core races in the 4e Player Handbook based on blogs and interviews).

Edited by - BlackMoria on 10 Oct 2007 22:01:24
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  22:18:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We still get to pick and choose, however Design team clearly might be a concern.

Final product is still months away.

Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  23:02:11  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's in the design team in order to provide an unattached perspective on the events.
I think it's good to have someone without knowledge, as he or she may raise questions that the other designers wouldn't ever think of. He's probably not the one who says "this is how it should be" , but rather "why is it this way?".
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  23:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question about Spellplauge. If the weave is coming apart, doesnt that mean all magic users, including Divine spellcasters, will be affected?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 10 Oct 2007 23:50:29
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  02:26:03  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

Just a quick question about Spellplauge. If the weave is coming apart, doesnt that mean all magic users, including Divine spellcasters, will be affected?

I am thinking only weave users, which would not include clerics
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  02:27:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the entry in 1385 specifically states thousands of mages
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000