Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ed Greenwood's new Eye on the Realms column
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Didn't see this elsewhere, please lock it down if there's already a scroll.

Looks like Ed's new column will debut a week from today, on Wednesday, 11th November!

To push fair use right to its bleeding edge, here's how Bill Slavicsek describes the column in his latest Ampersand column (published this morning).

quote:
Who better than Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms, to spearhead a new column every month that focuses on the people, places, and things going on across the world of Faerûn? Each month, Ed will look at a small piece of the Realms—an NPC, a dungeon, an organization—and give us a glimpse into its inner workings. He’s planning to leap all over the map and talk about something completely different each month. There will be surprises galore, a little new and a little old, and it will all be accomplished in Ed’s unique style. Check it out later this month when Eye on the Realms debuts. (How does this fit into my theme for the month, you ask? Well, I happen to consider Ed Greenwood to be a very big thing, and he’s practically bursting with big ideas and cool stories. So I can’t wait to see what he turns in next!)

Cheers!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  16:00:21  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely worth a read...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  16:23:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"He’s planning to leap all over the map and talk about something completely different each month."

-- This, is what I'd previously hoped for when news about Ed's new column first came to light. Because there's lots of "gaps" for him to fill in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  16:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested, but I'm still not giving WotC money until they give me what I want -- in this case, I only want Ed's articles, and I'm not paying for content I don't want.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  19:26:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to this.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  20:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, one of the reasons WoTC blew up the Realms was because it was too full with all these individuals, dungeons and organisations. And now they have Ed creating more individuals, dungeons and organisations. Amusing really.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  23:37:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

So, one of the reasons WoTC blew up the Realms was because it was too full with all these individuals, dungeons and organisations. And now they have Ed creating more individuals, dungeons and organisations. Amusing really.
Well, we're talking about Ed here. So it's likely that some of the stuff we'll be seeing, will be material that's long lingered as unpublished in Ed's many notebooks. This new column, at least, provides Ed with an opportunity to continue the grand tradition of "filling in the gaps" as I said earlier. Kinda like his old DRAGON articles.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  17:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm interested, but I'm still not giving WotC money until they give me what I want -- in this case, I only want Ed's articles, and I'm not paying for content I don't want.

I partly agree with you here Wooly. I want a few other things on top of Ed's articles, but there are more things I DON'T want than things I do and I don't want to pay for a lot of stuff I won't use (to Wizard's credit, their online "magazine" isn't as bad as most real magazines, which are FULL of useless content - which are in the form of advertisements)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  05:43:20  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

words
Unless Ed's future articles are novel-length entries, I don't think we're in danger of massed lore getting in the way of play.

In any case I'm looking forward to what Ed's going to contribute. I hope it's stuff I can use right away. Also hope he focuses on something new to the Realms and/or stuff that shows how some part of the Realms has changed and adapted to the Spellplague.

That way I can bring some new flavor to the gaming table and play off of my player's in-game knowledge to show them how parts of the setting have made the transition through the Spellplague.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 06 Nov 2009 05:48:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000