Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GEN-CON Report 2007
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  15:35:37  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On WOTC 4E boards, many people are saying that the Spellplague will kill spellcasters in great numbers. I haven't read anything "official" about it, where does this idea comes from ? Pure speculation ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 24 Aug 2007 15:36:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  16:03:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

On WOTC 4E boards, many people are saying that the Spellplague will kill spellcasters in great numbers. I haven't read anything "official" about it, where does this idea comes from ? Pure speculation ?

There is nothing official at all about effect of Spellplague.

It could be many things, period of wild magic, perhaps masive death of spellcasters(though I consider that unlikely), it clearly will be used to explain why magic works differently.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  23:31:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally think it will refer to some sort of wizard war -- a plague of spells, using plague in the "there's way too many of these things around!" sense.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  23:35:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I personally think it will refer to some sort of wizard war -- a plague of spells, using plague in the "there's way too many of these things around!" sense.

I would like it better this way than every caster is sick/dying/dead.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see the Spellplague involving living spells, introduced in the Eberron setting, but brought into core with MM III.

You have heard tell of plagues of locusts or frogs? Well, I think a plague of living spells rolling across the countryside like a carpet of army ants, disrupting the Weave, could be a devastating event.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  20:34:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, while I'm not sure of anything at this point, it is interesting to note that (Spoilers for Expedition to Undermountain): Expeidition to UnderMountain mentions a living spell habitat that Halaster established and that Halaster was working to avert some disaster, which has been hinted at being tied into the Spellplague . . . hm
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  23:35:05  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, while I'm not sure of anything at this point, it is interesting to note that (Spoilers for Expedition to Undermountain): Expeidition to UnderMountain mentions a living spell habitat that Halaster established and that Halaster was working to avert some disaster, which has been hinted at being tied into the Spellplague . . . hm

Like Sean Connery in Medicine Man... Halaster - thaumaturgic epidemiologist
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:44:54  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I've got 99 problems, but a lich ain't one." -King Gareth Dragonsbane of Damara ....

Pasta where did you get that line for your sig from?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Medicine Man is that movie related with the Amazonian forest,right?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:04:06  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes it was about him finding a cure for cancer only to ...

well i won't spoil it, go rent it, it is a good movie

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:36:55  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

"I've got 99 problems, but a lich ain't one." -King Gareth Dragonsbane of Damara ....

Pasta where did you get that line for your sig from?

Not to pull this thread further off topic than I already have (), but I made up that quote by "Realmsifying" the refrain of a hip-hop song by rapper Jay-Z
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  21:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

This is dedication folks. Hopefully, we can make sure that someone does the same for him when in the years he can't make it to the Con.

Is George already that old?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  15:37:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much old as a long way away.

I would love to get to GEN-CON every 3-4 years, if only to spend time with the people I had the good fortune to meet this year, and anyone else who is around.

But Eytan is right (and he was with me when I typed out my GEN-CON report, and delayed his dinner in doing so!) in that my report was intended for all those fans who don't get to GEN-CON and like me in previous years, yearned for an in depth recitation of what went on and what was said at the seminars.

So for future scribes, I expect nothing less in the years to come!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  15:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So for future scribes, I expect nothing less in the years to come!

-- George Krashos

I'm sure any scribes lucky enough to attend will have no problems with relaying the information they pick up back to those of us stuck across the oceans.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  16:35:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mutters about short memories since I reported what went on last year when I got back to the hotel.... Guess people forgot that. Ah well....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  17:04:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Mutters about short memories since I reported what went on last year when I got back to the hotel.... Guess people forgot that. Ah well....

I remember your report
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  17:37:00  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Kuje, I remember your excellent report as well. As someone who wasn't there, [wasn't even registered here yet, for that matter], and may well never get the chance to go to Gen Con, I really appreciated it.

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall endeavor to remember to bring my spy recorder and slip into Ed's pants before the.... well, maybe on the table whilst the speaker makes his announcements.

Damn, another secret given away...

Aaomas Balkrim aka Jeff Thetford
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  23:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I too remember it, albeit vaguely (though I only paid more attention this year because of the "major announcements").

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000